SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
figsinhawaii

Yay! My 3rd citrus! Mandarin tree : )

figsinhawaii
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hello everyone. The citrus forces completely re-routed my citrus plans this weekend. I was prepped to go and buy my lime tree this weekend (I've been talking about it forever!) and I ended up with a Kishu Mandarin.

My daughter texted me this pic yesterday, plant sale (instead of yard sale? lol) and asked if we could go after her practice because she saw little bonsais (she too has been talking about those forever). We went and she ended up with two little bonsais, and me with this mandarin tree. It looks like it needs a bit of TLC, but I could not pass because of the price. Some of the leaves are splotchy green and when the leaves are dry, there looks to be white residue on them.. almost powdery. Some of the fruits look rusty(?) in a few places. Leave it to me to go get this tree instead of a perfectly healthy, new tree. However, I judged (hopefully correctly) that it was healthy enough to buy and to try and fix its deficiencies. I will definitely start reading Mike's thread about taking care of pests before bringing them indoors; I know there's tons of info there about treating leaves and pests, etc. I used the reptibark that I'd had soaking for a while, and put in in a 511 mix. I thought these fruits looked too big to be kishus, but the lady assured me and the nursery container had them labeled as such. I've eaten kishus before (they were great), so I bought this tree with my kids in mind. They will love them, especially in their school lunch boxes!

Having three citrus babies is so fun and exciting!

Comments (9)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH