SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
seil_gw

A comparison Julia Child/Doris Day

seil zone 6b MI
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've had Julia for several years now and have really loved her. One of the best garden roses I have. When Doris Day came out people really loved her too so I thought I'd get her and see how she compares to Julia. I've only had Doris one season and haven't wintered her yet, besides that she's a tree rose, so I can't say anything about hardiness yet but here are some of my thoughts about the two ladies.

Julia Child

Julia is a very hardy and vigorous rose. She gets at least 4 X 4 ft. every summer. Even if I have to prune her to the ground in the spring. She is amazingly disease resistant in my black spot riddled humid powdery mildew prone Michigan garden. I've never had PM on her and she rarely if ever spots. If she does it's very little and stays confined to the very bottom leaves.

The blooms are a bright sunny yellow about 3 inches in size with a nice decorative form. She has a very nice fragrance. Not overly strong but noticeable and it has just a hint of licorice in it. She does fade a little as she ages like a lot of yellows do but the blooms do last for several days on the bush and in the vase. And she blooms A LOT! There is usually always at least one or two open blooms on her all season long and most of the time more than that. I would recommend this rose to anyone as a wonderful garden enhancement.

Doris Day

As I stated this is a new this season tree rose so I'm not making any final judgments about her just yet. It wouldn't be fair. However, that said, I don't feel that DD has been as strong a grower or bloomer as JC. I've had very little new cane growth this season so it's still pretty much the same size as she was when I got her in May. And sadly she black spotted like mad all summer. At times she was totally leafless. I didn't see any PM but then we had very little problem with that this year because it was so hot and dry all season. No way of knowing how she will winter yet. And being a tree rose she'll spend the winter wrapped up in burlap inside the shed. It's the best protection I can offer her so we'll see next spring.

The blooms are quite pretty. They're a lighter shade of yellow than JC and so do not tend to fade as much. The form is nice but they are a bit smaller in size than Julia's. The fragrance is also not as strong as Julia's but is very nice and sweet. And Doris definitely blooms in very defined flushes with a good 6 or 7 weeks cycle in between.

I like to give a rose at least three years to show me what it's got so Doris will be here for a while (if she winters well) but at this point Julia is in the lead.

Comments (38)