SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
whirlwindgirl

Aina curtains question

On the off chance anyone here can help with color, I thought I'd ask.

I'm thinking of using IKEA aina curtains in white (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/10284201/ ) for a living room and the master bedroom in our new house.

I think the length will work, though I need to double check measurements.

Both rooms need window treatments for privacy at night. The bedroom faces west so we don't care about light control. The living room faces east so we could use some filtering at times, but don't need black out. It sounds like the linen fabric should work for that?

The whole house is painted SW eider white:

Fwiw, when I read about eider white in blogs, etc, it is described as a warm grey white.

I don't need the curtains to match the walls exactly, but I don't want warm creamy curtains up against grey-white walls either. Anyone happen to have the aina curtains in white and care to offer thoughts on what shade of white they are?

Comments (27)

• Kitch4me
    7 years ago

Unfortunately, they are not white, I would consider them a cream. Here is a panel next to my white cabinet. I haven't decided if I'm going to keep them. Hope this helps...

Nothing Left to Say thanked Kitch4me
  • Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Yes, that helps a lot! Thank you.

• Related Discussions

To curtain or not to curtain....that is the question!

Q

Comments (33)
    The gray print curtains don't appeal to me as much as I thought they would. Maybe it is just the way the light was coming through the ivory background in the original photo that they were snipped from. I'd work with the rug closely. The little yellow table next to the couch is adorbs (hate that expression normally, but the shoe fits here). AKT'so first pair of yellow drapes are worth a checkout. If so, keep working the yellow and snug your couch forward a bit.
    ...See More

Curtain Question I’m Sure Has An Easy Answer .....

Q

Comments (9)
    I would probably make the slider version wide enough that the draperies could stack all the way to the right (opening side) without being in front of the door. In other words, the slider draperies would only open from left all the way across to the right side. Then, you could make the draperies for the window open from the center without interfering with the ones for the slider. The negative will be that you won't be able to have the draperies on the slider open just for the door portion of the slider.
    ...See More

Shower curtain question

Q

Comments (6)
    You may find this a little boring and want to go in another direction, but I love my crisp white shower curtains. None are expensive (3 bathrooms), all are easy care. Hot water wash, into the dryer for just a few minutes and rehung warm...no ironing necessary and wrinkle free.
    ...See More

Deep sill 3 window curtain design question

Q

Comments (2)
    IMO you run the rod across the front of all thoe windows and hang drapes that will then clear the ledge too. Honestly if you rarely close the blinds why not fo nice roman shades for each window
    ...See More
  • Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I see IKEA also has the ritva curtains. Cotton, not linen. Wonder if they would be better?

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80063833/

• User
    7 years ago

This blog used Aina curtains in white against a cooler off-white wall. I love this look. I have the white Aina against similar color walls and they're very nice.

Nothing Left to Say thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago

Can't help you on color. I have them in beige and for the money they are very very nice curtains. And yes, light filtering but not black out!

• Kitch4me
    7 years ago

They are nice curtains, I just wish they weren't so creamy. I bought them for my formal LR. They look great in the above photos! I have the lenda curtains in the FR, I wish the ainas were closer in color...

• User
    7 years ago

That is a big difference, for sure, Kitch4me. I like the loops on the Lenda to hang on the rod. My Aina's are time-consuming to take down.

Oh! Don't forget to wash them before determining how high to hang--the Aina's shrink a few inches.

• tinam61
    7 years ago

Yes, Joan from "For the Love of a House" blog uses Aina - all over her home I believe. I was interested in purchasing some for our bedrooms, and contacted Joan about hers. According to her (and as mentioned above), they are not a true white. I'm happy with that, I wanted more of a cream/off white. I haven't purchased those yet, but did purchase a pair of them in tan which is a flax color. Very nice weight linen fabric. I am going to pleat the flax panels I bought.

Nothing Left to Say thanked tinam61
  • DLM2000-GW
    7 years ago

"I am going to pleat the flax panels I bought."

Details, please tinam61 - I'm intrigued!

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I found this picture of the Ritva curtains in white against SW agreeable grey walls.

http://www.maisondepax.com/2016/05/classy-yet-affordable-white-curtains.html

And the Ritva come in 118 inch length, which might come in handy for the living room windows--will need to measure as soon as we close.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/80063833/

• Kitch4me
    7 years ago

The Ritva curtains look nice in the photo above. If I remember correctly, the Ritva were less creamy than the Aina, but not as white as the Lenda. If I return the Aina, I'll probably get the Ritva. I'm living with the Aina curtains a few days to see if they grow on me.

• EvaElizabeth
    7 years ago

My walls are a pretty bright, slightly cool white and I said the exact same thing - they don't have to match exactly, but I don't want them to be to creamy our look yellow against the paint. When I took my paint swatch with me to Ikea, all of the panels looked cream next to the paint. Several of the white roller shades looked good, but that isn't what I wanted. I couldn't find anything that looked right and didn't look cream or yellow at any of the less expensive stores, actually, including Target, Wal-Mart, etc. In the end I decided to wait and save more for the windows by doing one room at a time. I found an inexpensive linen fabric that matches my paint to use for drapery, and I'm using higher quality linings, and so far so good.

When you say a 'warm light grey' it probably depends on the undertone of the grey. Cream can look more yellow against a grey with a blue undertone but Whether that looks good or bad depends on the rest of the room, including the lighting.

Nothing Left to Say thanked EvaElizabeth
  • Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I didn't choose the eider white and the house is in a different state so I'm operating at a bit of a disadvantage.

Here's the formula.

Online people describe it as a warm light grey or warm grey white. Some people say it is a bit taupe or clay in color. And some talk about it being pink. All of which seems to make sense given the formula. My memory is that it looks quite white in our new house and I did not notice any pink.

It is a brand new house so there are no window treatments of any kind. Some windows don't need them, at least not right away. But the living room windows are huge and are just a few feet away from the sidewalk. So I do want to get some thing up on those immediately. Master bedroom too, for obvious reasons.

I think I will go with the ritvas. At that price, if the color isn't quite right, I can afford to replace them later. I don't think there's much of any cheaper possibility, really, even in temporary blinds, etc. Looks like I may even be able to order them through Amazon prime, which would be great as I do need to wait to close to get the measurements.

Thanks so so much for all the help with the colors on this!

• Oaktown
    7 years ago

Hi crl_, we used some IKEA white cotton tablecloths for curtains in our last house, I liked them better than any panels IKEA had at the time -- thicker (and less expensive too). The ones we had are no longer on the website but just thought I'd mention you might take a peek in that section too if you already are at IKEA.

Plus, now that we're not using them as curtains we have extra tablecloths for folding tables when we have a lot of folks over ;-)

Nothing Left to Say thanked Oaktown
  • Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    7 years ago

No IKEA in our new location unfortunately. And I'm not adding anything to the stuff that has to get moved. So I'll be ordering online.

Thanks!

• lkplatow
    7 years ago

I was at IKEA today and remembered this thread. So I took a picture of the Ritva, Lenda, and Aina curtains side by side (Lenda on left, Aina in middle, Ritva on right). I don't know how much you can tell given the crappy lighting, my less-than-stellar photography skills, and the fact that the packaging is still on, but all three curtains looked creamy, not pure white. The Aina was significantly more yellowy than the others. Hope this helps! Oh I'm pretty sure the Aina also comes in a gray color which might look pretty with grayish white walls. Didn't take a photo of that though - my 11 year old son with with me and it was all I could do get him to stand still for me to take this photo!

Nothing Left to Say thanked lkplatow
  • Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    7 years ago

How incredibly nice of you! And yes, that is very helpful. Looks like skipping the Aina and going with the Ritva should work. Thank you so much!

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    7 years ago

PS. Tell your 11 year old I said thanks for letting you get the picture!

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Wow, thank you! All three colors seem to work. That's great.

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I just wanted to thank everyone! So much wonderful help from all of you, especially all the picture taking and posting.

When I realized it would cost a $50 delivery fee to have IKEA ship the curtains to us at our new home, we decided to buy here. (My choice wasn't available on Amazon after all.). Dh stopped by IKEA this evening and picked up five packages of curtains.

I went with the Ritvas because I needed the longer length--they come in 118 inch length! The color looks great next to eider white, IMO.

Thanks again!

• mayathemenace
    7 years ago

Can you let me know where you got that beautiful wooden curtain rod? :D

• Nothing Left to Say
    Original Author
    7 years ago

staceyspeaks, if you meant the picture I posted above, it's not my picture. The link is in my post. Maybe there is information there about the curtain rod?

• User
    7 years ago

Wish I had seen this thread earlier :(

The Aina curtains have a definitely yellow tinge. I tried them in my Horizon (1478) bedroom with bright white trim and they looked too yellow. I almost bought the Ritva. I think I am going back to get them because they are whiter.

• Sharon Joyce
    6 years ago

Very late to the party, but please note that the creamy tones in Ikea "white" cotton curtains, including Ritva and Merete, will be reduced once you wash them. They will not be a true, cool white, but they will be much whiter.

• Karenmo
    4 years ago

Here is the answer about the curtain rods in the photo above -- I liked them too so went to look at the blog: " Curtains are white linen, from Ikea. Curtain rods are bamboo rods from the garden center ($1 each!) The curtain rod finials are old curtain rings that I stained to closely match the color of the bamboo, and they fit over the end of the rod (with a little help of some tacky putty.)"
    There you have it! What a great solution...but maybe not if you need to open and close the curtains often, depending on how knobby the bamboo is....

• Karenmo
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

Now for my question -- has anyone used Ikea's light blocking liner called Glasnava with the white Ikea Aina curtains? Or with any white Ikea curtains for that matter? I am wondering how it works -- if it goes together as easily as the pictures suggest, if it stays together without fussing, if the curtains can move together easily when the drapes are opened and closed, if the colors look OK together, ETC?

(We realized we need blackout drapes in our bedroom, and the best color would be some shade of white, and the nicely lined one I like at Bed Bath & Beyond is out of stock.)