SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
trashcanman

How should you purchase your allowances?

7 years ago

I'm remodeling my kitchen, changing the floor plan and getting new everything - appliances, floor, counters, fixtures, cabinets, etc. I hired a contractor to do this, and he is managing all the work being done. I have been given allowances for things, like $400 for lighting, and $200 for a faucet.

Early on in this process I was working on a bid with a different contractor(who I did not pick), and I went to the granite place and picked out the granite I wanted. The granite place told me that it was like $50 sq ft installed, but on the bid I received from the contractor it was closer to $60. I learned that that contractor was marking up my granite just because they could, even though it was being delivered and installed by the granite company. If the contractor was involved in the delivery or installation of the granite, I could justify this markup.

I want to pay my contractor fairly, but I have a problem with a contractor charging me $250 for a faucet that I can purchase myself for $200, and provide it to him at my house when needed for installation. What do others think?

Comments (10)

Sponsored
Wannemacher Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Customized Award-Winning Interior Design Solutions in Columbus, OH