SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mcothic

Tell me how you built your house—from the beginning.

mcothic
7 years ago

We have the land. We (think we) have a maximum budget. We don't have plans. We have a lot of questions. I think we should finish the plans and start asking around at builders for estimates, but my husband thinks we should get the numbers straight first—his thinking is that if we know how much it'll cost to build, then we can tailor our plans accordingly. I agree in the sense that I don't want to get attached to a design only to be told it can't be built within our budget. One builder/designer we asked told us it would be around $190sqft to build, another said $130. But they weren't looking at our plans, either.

So how did you do it? How did you pick your bank and your builder? Did you finance through the builder and everything just worked out?

How much should I anticipate putting down on a construction loan? One lender said he has a "product" that requires a 30% equity stake. I don't know what that is, but is it good? Does that mean I have to put 30% down? We bought the land, but we are paying a mortgage on the land and the existing home, so I'm guessing it can't be used as equity. Or can it?

Also, we have a decent amount of money from the sale of a previous house. Should we use that as a "down payment" for the construction loan, or should we use it to pay for some of the construction directly? For instance, if we want to build a 400K house, should we get a loan for 200K and pay 200K out of pocket to the builder, or should we get a 400K loan that we make a down payment on of 200K? Does that even make sense?

As you can probably tell, I've owned a house or two but I've never built one. So give me all your advice (excluding telling me not to a build a house, please).

Comments (10)