SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

Photos of Your Beginnings, Tales of Your Past Mistakes?

aimeekitty
13 years ago

Goodmorning! (or afternoon as it may be)

I enjoyed Sherry's post showing her garden a couple years ago and then what it was now and thought some other people might have inspiring photos and tales also? Since I'm just starting my rose garden this year, I'd really love to see what your garden looked like when you started....

and then what it looked like a year or two later. :)

I can't stand waiting, but of course I will. :)

I'd also love to hear about the couple big things you learned in the first year or two,... or what mistakes you made.

Like how many of your first year roses did you end up removing 3 years later due to a bad choice, or just not liking them?

Are there a few things that you really wish you knew when you started that you know now?

----------

I've already made a few mistakes (that I'm aware of),... off the top of my head... like I bought Great Maiden's Blush Alba not knowing that it needed a colder winter to do well.

And it's not really a mistake,... but I wish I'd known how much bigger bareroots from say, David Austin, and how much bigger a gallon or two gallon plant is compared to a small band. If I'd known that, I would have focused more on getting the larger plants this spring, but I'm in it now, and I know a lot of people start their roses as bands and still have lovely gardens.

course, I'm feeling a bit bummed this morning because I accidentally stepped on my Tiffany band while I was digging a tough hole near her... and I snapped off a big branch. That poor baby only had like one or two branches.

This is the second band that I have godzilla-d. The other one was a Sombreuil band that I dropped a rock on. ha... I'm still hoping it will survive but I have more hope for Tiffany.

Also, I'd wished I'd known how clearly I would not like or totally love a rose more based on it's IN PERSON appearance and fragrance rather than how it looks in closeup photos online. Most of my choices, I'm pretty sure I'll be happy with,... but seeing roses MATURE and in person at an established rose garden is a HUGE difference compared to looking at photos and descriptions online. It really helped me a lot to see the roses, look at each characteristic of them and then compare my favorites by walking back and forth, or taking notes, etc.

Thankfully most of my major rose choices this year, when I saw them in person, I really loved them, but there are some that I'm on the fence about. That's ok. :)

Comments (18)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County