SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jackie_o_gw

DON'T make this mistake with your seedlings!

jackie_o
15 years ago

Okay, so learn from my mistake! The Appleblossom seedlings I posted last week are all good, but the biggest and oldest ones - the ones that I keep checking every day for scapes - the ones I thought might bloom soon - well shoot!

It was nice and warm here yesterday so I finally got around to taking them out of the long windowbox planter I had them in. They had pulled themselves down into the dirt far enough that I couldn't see much of the bulbs. I did see all the babies they had split off into.

I got the whole thing out of the planter and started trying to separate them. That's when I found that even though there were great white roots and lots of babies, the mother bulbs were rotting and almost hollow. I don't know why. I didn't overwater them.

It was almost like if you've seen dahlia tubers at the end of the season. The biggest bulbs sometimes look hollow and "used up" if that makes sense. I don't know if this is from an insect when they were outside last summer. The odd thing is, it's only these ones that were all together. The ones that were in the separate cups were also outside all summer, but they're okay.

Just wanted to let you know and see if anyone has any thoughts about this.

Thanks guys.

{{gwi:394641}}

{{gwi:394642}}

{{gwi:394643}}

{{gwi:394644}}

Comments (19)

Sponsored
More Discussions