SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
s_ren_balle

Choosing hot peppers for 2nd season - expert help needed :)

Søren Balle
7 years ago

So -- my first hot peppers season is pretty much over. Fairly succesfull I would say, also with a lot of help from this forum - so thx for that :)

Here are some of the things I learned -- and hopefully someone can use this for their own benefit. Also, I am in need of optimizing my hot-pepper-balcony for next year, so any advice mostly welcome :)

I had the following plants, in 0.5-2 gall. pots, on my balcony, that gets 5-7 hours of direct sun in the peak of summer:

Fillius Blue

Black Pearl/Black Olive?

Anaheim

Orange Thai

Mushroom yellow (habanero?)

Aji Limon (Lemon drop?)

Satans Kiss

Holiday Cheer

Living in a cold scandinavian climate (I think reffered to as zone 5, or 4) I was surprised at how well they did - also considering we had a not that great summer, and the limitation in direct sunlight on my balcony.

Lessons learned:

- the ornamentals did great!! But a complete waste of space and time. They look nice, but has pretty much no taste at all ! So next year: goodbye Fillius Blue, Holiday Cheer and Black pearl/Black Olive !

- The orange thai had a great yield !! probably around 150 pods on a small bushy plant in a 1.5 gall. container -- early maturity as well. Good for heat, but not that interesting taste. But, definitely on my balcony next year !

- The Aji Limon was a pleasant surprise! What a great taste. A big and fragile plant, that had a hard time coping with the wind on my balcony. And only around 40 pods, and some of them are still not ripening. Will try to start this one earlier next year. HIGHLY recommended for the taste !

- Anaheim: early, beautiful fleshy red peppers, mild in taste, and good for many dishes. Also coming back !

- Satans Kiss and the Mushroom Yellow (cap.chinese), just starting to ripen. And the nights are already pushing down to freezing. So, a bit risky I would say. Also, not great yield. They probably need more heat and sun than my balcony can provide...

But all in all, very happy with my first year of growing :)

I would really appreciate some advice in good, interesting tasting early hot peppers, that do well in cooler climates.

thx :)

Comments (16)

Sponsored