SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
johnny_lee_gw

Can you beat the Tx Heat? + 2nd year notes

johnny_lee
14 years ago

Its starting to heat up here in Texas and my peppers and cukes/squash are wilting on a daily basis, especially a week ago when the temps were in the 95s (It's funny but I remember chuckling at all the yankee's pics with the snow covered gardens in march while I was transplanting my toms, now its too hot here, Carma I guess). Its probably a rookie mistake but I want to water the cukes/peppers on daily just to perk them up, is this a big no no? Also a lot of the pepper flowers are just dropping off, I assume due to the heat. Does anyone know what the maximum temp pepper/toms will set fruit at? Has anyone used a semi shade cloth covering to extend peppers or toms season when it really starts heating up? I've got a backyard set up so building an awning wouldn't be a big deal.

For those who are interested my 2nd garden has been a huge success compared to my 1st outing. Thanks in large part to the info I gotten from this forum (special thanks to farmerdilla, granddad, ruthieg, digdirt). If I have any advice to give it is to don't be shy bout posting any questions (I lurked around far to long on this site before asking any questions). My biggest mistake my 1st year was way over watering. The below post set me straight about watering and is probably the primary reason why this years garden has been a success. Thanks again all.

Johnny

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/cornucop/msg0712385731842.html

Comments (8)

Sponsored
J.Holderby - Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Franklin County's Leading General Contractors - 2X Best of Houzz!