SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elmerjfudd

My experience with Windows 10

Elmer J Fudd
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Bottom line - as I use it, it's the same as Win7 or Win8.1. By installing Classic Shell (a 60 second download and install), it feels and acts the same as its predecessors. I see no differences in appearance, in location of settings to change, or in behavior. It's a non-event.

A few weeks ago I bought a new PC that I configured to my own preferences (with solid mid-range performance options) on the manufacturer's site. I chose to have an authorized downgrade to Win7 installed as the OS (the reason doesn't matter). Because of some peculiarities with what I have and what I wanted to do (the details don't matter), I found Win7 wasn't working for me on the new PC and so I needed to do the authorized upgrade to Win10. The manufacturer sent me an upgrade key (a thumb drive) and I did that a few days ago.

In going through the initial choices and options, I was able to set it up as I prefer. Password - No (it's a desktop). Cortana - No. MS account - No. For those who find these options not to their liking on their PCs, I'm sure a search or two will help you find how to change the settings.

The same as for those who did the free upgrade during the period it was offered, I was able to use this PC with both Win7 and Win10. From a performance standpoint, I see little difference. I have a fast quad core processor, a high capacity internet connection, and I see no difference in performance. It appears Win10 has a gimmick to appear to load faster, in that the home page comes up a bit quicker than its predecessors. However, while that appears, my hard drive continues to chug away for another 15 seconds or so, appearing to be loading other parts of the OS.

These are only my observations. Maybe it depends on what uses people have and what programs they use. Others will have different experiences. But to me, the difference is there is no difference. Neither good nor bad. The same. As far as things go, I was ready to jump into adapting to changes and new peculiarities. I haven't found any yet.

My recommendation for those unhappy or struggling with Win10 is to install Classic Shell. Good luck to all.

Comments (7)