SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bolusharris

How to fix my Alabama clay soil

bolusharris
7 years ago

I live in Alabama and the soil around my house is about an inch or less of nice-looking dirt, and then just hard clay. So far I've only ever planted things in containers because I don't know if anything can thrive in this clay. First, do I need to fix it? Or is there a range of plants that can do well in this environment?

Second, how should I go about fixing it? What I'm thinking about now is planting like a grass and a legume, maybe at the same time, that can spread their roots down into the clay. Then I could till them under and let all that break down into more fertile soil. They would need to be low-maintenance, since I'm away at college and my parents aren't willing to put much effort into this project. I can probably get a sprinkler installed for them if it's necessary. Any other ideas for making the soil healthier are welcome!

This image is from another user's post here on Garden Web. It looks just like the soil I have.

http://s3.photobucket.com/user/wilddog_202/media/Clayafteryearsoforganicmatter.jpg.html

Comments (10)