SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dwm81

Should I have a combined laundry room and pantry / scullery or no?

dwm81
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I am renovating my home (1938 cape cod but will be basically updated all new) and have a room off the kitchen - right now the design has it separated into two rooms - pantry/scullery off the kitchen and then a laundry room off the pantry but I can't decide if I should combine the rooms into one larger one for more light and flexibility. If I combined, I'd plan to put the washer/dryer in a cabinet or closet. Each room is currently 7'9" so combining them would be 16'.

Pros of Combined: Save cost b/c no need to have a pocket door framed in, larger room with 2 windows vs. choppy rooms, able to do same cabinetry and countertop and wood flooring to look cohesive and probably save money.

Cons of Combined: Worried that a combined pantry/scullery and laundry room might be awkward for resale value with people thinking a laundry room should be separate from a pantry (on the other hand some people might think a room within a room is awkward). Able to close off the laundry room is nice too. I will have a 36" pocket door into the pantry and 36" pocket door into the laundry room and if separate the laundry will be tile.

Here's a pic of the plans...

Pics · More Info

Comments (10)