SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
milehighgardener

Share Pictures of Your Citrus September 2016

MileHighGardener
7 years ago

Hey guys its been a while since my last post i made this post here for everyone to share how their citrus is doing..

heres my bearss lime that took some hail damage at the beginning of spring that now has two limes its amazing how big its grown this season i have now put it inside for the winter months

I do have one Question... ive noticed that fruit really hasnt grown much my tree flowered in late april should i pull it off to encourage growth or will the fruit enlarge and mature over time?

Thanks

Comments (44)

• jinnylea
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi, Mile!! Your Bearss Lime may have took a beating early on, but it sure looks like it recovered nicely and put on some nice growth!! It looks great! How old is your tree?

I dont really know what to tell you regarding whether you should pick your fruit now or wait.. Limes "usually" bloom in the spring and fruit in the fall. I heard/read that you should pick the Bearss Lime fruit while it is still a nice green color and when it has a bit of give to it. I have a Bearss Lime also. I got it from Four Winds in late spring and it bloomed and set fruit shortly after, all the fruit fell off but one! It seemed to take forever to grow and it is huge now! I did not pick it because the fruit always felt rock hard when I checked it...but over the past week it has just a touch of give to it and the color is turning a lighter green. I don't want to pick it to soon. But, if I wait to long the lime will be drier..lol..

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

The Bearss Lime is about ready to flower again this late in the season.... crazy tree.. lol

• Related Discussions

Some September 2011 citrus pictures

Q

Comments (6)
    Jay: Now, even adults must play!:-0) I don't think you noticed my ? So I will tell you the first thing that caught my eye! The COLORS of your trees! Bravo on the nice rich green color. That is something we all strive for and one of the things that makes me have great respect for fellow citrus growers! That is one thing not that easy for many here to attain and of great encouragement for many. Nice. Mike
    ...See More

I'll share my recipe, if you'll share yours, September 1, 2012

Q

Comments (3)
    100-Calorie Pumpkin Pie Tartlets Prep: 15 mins Cooking: 25 mins Level: Easy Cooling: 60 mins Yields: 16 servings Looking for that great taste of pumpkin pie without the guilt of overindulging? Now you can, with these 100-Calorie Pumpkin Pie Tartlets. This satisfying treat is the perfect size to snack on by itself or enjoy as an elegant finish to the perfect meal. Ingredients 16 (2 1/2-inch) foil baking cups Nonstick cooking spray 3/4 cup granulated sugar 1 tablespoon cornstarch 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger 1/2 teaspoon salt 2 large egg whites 1 can (15 oz.) LIBBY'S 100% Pure Pumpkin 1 can (12 fl. oz.) NESTLE'S CARNATION Evaporated Fat Free Milk 1 cup fat free whipped topping 12 small gingersnap cookies, broken into 1/4-inch pieces Directions PREHEAT oven to 350 F. Place baking cups on baking sheet with sides. Spray each cup with cooking spray. COMBINE sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon, ginger and salt in small bowl. Beat egg whites in large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and sugar mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Spoon 1/4 to 1/3 cup of mixture into each prepared cup. BAKE for 25 to 28 minutes or until knife inserted near centers comes out clean. Cool on baking sheet for 20 minutes. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour. Top each with whipped topping and gingersnap crumbs. Here is a link that might be useful: Pumpkin Pie Tarts
    ...See More

Let's see pictures of your potted citrus 2015

Q

Comments (34)
    Foliage pro makes a lot of products ! The one I got was stated to be TROPICAL. Can that be the kind I need for Meyer lemon? I checked Amazon & saw 1/2 dozen called foliage pro with many number combinations. I also have Jobes natural fertilizer, how much should I go ve it if there heavy feeders & it's all natural & it's finally putting out a few lt. Green branches? I had not one leaf from end of Dec. till few weeks ago. May be I'm not feeding enough since I fed it in Feb. when it started showing leaves that turned to a few branches but not very Green. ? It's got may be 1dozen leaves now from nothing but needs to be dark green. Which would be the better to give it vinagar & foliage green or natural ( smells bad) furtilizer & how much? No real canopy just 2 branches w dozen leaves? Please tell me what I should give it for best results? Please ? I'm Really lost, never tried & foliage pro & vinagar. ! Please help an oldie but newie in 10 yrs. ???? THANK YOU Heart of a Meyer ❤️ Sweet & thorny I'm dying to hear an answer ?
    ...See More

September 2016 Blooms

Q

Comments (79)
    Igrida - Really love that flower!! I've been hoping to catch a couple of my blooms open, but they start closing up earlier in the evening now that the days are getting shorter. Will try again to get photos. =)
    ...See More
  • myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL both of you...! I like this

Jinny, I am so proud of you...Look at how happy your trees look and great job cleaning them up for winter...Keep a close eye on the new growth for bugs and look under the leaves once a week or every other week for anything with a magnifying glass....Speaking of that..

EVERYONE SHOULD HAVE A MAGNIFYING GLASS in their arsenal...It's the best way to catch a problem before it happens..If anything good comes from this forum, the choice they make in their mix and the pests to be watchful for should be top priority...Great work!

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Thank you Mike. That means a lot coming from you! :) I learn so much from you and all the other helpful members on this forum. I could not do it without you all.. I still have so much more to learn about citrus.

I inspect my trees for pests etc.. almost daily. Why, I gave them a good going over just earlier today with my trusty Menards magnifying glass. Lol.. I inspected every square inch of each tree.. And my eyeballs were hurting by the time I was all done.. :D Thanks for sharing that important tip with everyone about the magnifying glass..Speaking of that. .

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Your trees look great milehigh! Jinny, yours also look incredible! My daughter saw your pics and loved your colored pots. I have a nice magnifying glass. I have not used it to look at my trees, but will start - especially before bringing them in. Mike, that is a great idea I had not thought of. As soon as it stops raining, I will check them. It is soooo nice to finally have rain! I kid you not, a few sprouted overnight! MileHigh...as far as your limes - don't pick them yet. They will not be juicy if you do. Jinny is right. They should have some give when squeezed. Your tree looks great though!

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Laura, thank you! I am happy that your daughter liked the colored pots! :) I snatched them up at a great sale price.. I think all that color will help to lighten up all that darkness that comes along with the long and cold winter months.. lol . I know you have a while before you bring your trees in, but, I look forward to seeing pictures of your setup.. I want to see how you manage to squeeze them all in.. lol :D

I talked to my Uncle today. He lives in Maryland also. He said it was raining and they have been getting a lot of non-stop rain this summer..

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Here are some rainy pics for you guys. One of my Meyer lemon trees is blooming profusely now. It's amazing to think she almost died this summer from root rot!

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Wonderful Laura and don't those blossom's smell amazing? Jinnylea love your setup so neat and beautiful love it . Your tree's look amazing! !!!

Brian

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Thanks Brian!! Are all of yours settled in your greenhouse? You know I like to see pics...;-)

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Hi Laura it's nice to see your Meyer in flower you must be enjoying that so many blooms , mine is doing the same the scent is so wonderful fills the whole GH . My tree's are adapting slowly they are not drinking as fast so I will have to watch how I water for the next couple of weeks until they adapt . We are having lights installed in the GH tomorrow it's going to be very bright in there I will take pics tomorrow night . Have a great night Laura .

Brian

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago
    • Cuban Shaddock ladden with fruit.
    • New Zealand lemonade on US897
    • seed grown Fukushu #1
    • seed grown fukushu #2
  • mksmth zone 7a Tulsa Oklahoma
    7 years ago

dekopon. Just patiently waiting.

Mike

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Brian, I can't wait to see you set up buddy!! I can't wait..What do you mean you have light getting installed...? Boy you have gone all out!! Did you win the lottery or are you poor now..? lol I am so happy for you buddy..It's raining here today, finally...By the way, I know what you mean about how the mix stays wet longer when you bring them inside..I am glad you brought that up..You are pretty helpful my friend.. Have a wonderful day)))))

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

MK I came across a photo that made me think of the farm country in your area.

6b Steve

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    7 years ago

I'm a little late to the party hopefully I can still join...

Citrus October 1, 2016 · More Info
    tango Mandarin

trovita orange

gold nugget mandarin

bearss lime

rio red grapefruit

eureka lemon

variegated pink eureka lemon

pomona sweet lemon

oro Blanco

tango mandarin #2

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    7 years ago

Since when does houzz have a limit on photos I must have reached it cause I couldn't add any more pics. Here's some more.

Cara Cara navel orange

Key lime with fruit on the ground below it because I can't eat it fast enough

Meyer lemon

And last my pixie Mandarin

Evan

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Evan, nice tree pictures but nice sky pictures too! Your trees have done very nicely despite your beastly hot temperatures.

Cory

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Brian, thank you ! :) Laura, great job on bringing your Meyer lemon back. It has such pretty blooms. Steve, nice job on the trees. They look good and I love that Cuban Shaddock! Is this the first year that it set fruit? Funny picture by the way! :°D Mark, I love that Dekopon! Let us know how it tastes after that fruit matures, please.. Is that the only fruit on your Dekopon? ? How old is the tree?? I have one from Harris, but, it is still young.. Evan, what can I say.. You have some very nice, mature trees!! Wonderful varieties that will give you a steady supply of some fantastic fruit! I would take those key limes on the ground if I could. .. lol It looks like your Trovita Sweet Orange tree has some nice fruit on it, , please let me know how they taste after they mature. I have one that I recently got from Four Winds and they said the fruit is excellent !!

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Owari Satsuma Mandarin. It is slow growing, but I love the shape and the way it branches out. The leaves are a beautiful dark green. It has one flower bud that is slowly opening.

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Evan you sure have raised the bar on growing citrus buddy , spectacular !!! . Jinnylea I absolutely love that room you store your citrus in , love the choice of tile . Your tree's don't look to bad either , beautiful! !!!

Brian

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Mikey buddy I did not when the lottery lol I wish . There is good debt in life and bad I consider this a good one , it's going to bring me a lifetime of joy my friend . Mikey it was supposed to rain here today none so far the sun is actually playing hide and seek. I see Hobby might be in for snow this week yuk way to early for that.

Brian

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Brian, thank you. :) The sunroom is small, but I love it! The tiles were a special order from H.D and were at a great price. I don't worry about the dirt or water spilling on the floors. Very easy to keep clean..

• orangelime1
    7 years ago

Jinnylea I'm really impressed with your sunroom beautiful definitely has that southern southwestern tropical feel . This would be the room most of us would strive to achieve. If it were mine I would never want to come out .

Brian

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Great trees guys! Steve, they look so happy in the ground!! Mike...how old is that dekopon? Is that the only fruit it has? I have one, but I fear it will be a long time till it has fruits. Evan...wow! Your trees always look so healthy and robust! I wish I lived near you...I'd be over there picking up those key limes...but I understand...there are only so many you can eat. You know...just a thought...I know someone who has a HUGE fig tree. During the fig season, she cannot come close to eating them all so she sells them to local restaurants. Maybe you can try that Evan.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Thanks for the kind word all. Everyone has such nice trees this year. Jinnylea the Cuban Shaddock had its first and only fruit last year. I picked it to early but otherwise was good for lemonade, drinks, and fish. It was better than a standard lemon.

6b Steve

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Steve, did the fruit get as large as a pomelo? I looked it up (UCR) and the parentage is unknown, but the description said it is possible it could be a Ponderosa.. A citron/ lemon cross. Is that what the fruit and flesh looked like??

• cory (Zone 7a, NJ)
    7 years ago

Here is a picture of my Dekopon from last year.

And growing on the tree last year in my greenhouse..

So good! The critters stole them all this year. Unless I get some from the recent blooms this month.

Cory

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Cory, those were gorgeous...did it taste as good as it looked? How old is your dekopon, and how large is it? What size pot do you have it in? I love those stands! You said you bought those at Christmas shops?? They look great and very practical.

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

Jinny The fruit was about 8 inches diameter and the rind was close to 3/4 inch thick. It had about 30+ seeds with the seed place in the segment inside crease.

6b Steve

• evdesert 9B Indio, CA
    7 years ago

Thanks Cory, that was at around 6:30 this morning, the sun was just coming up.

Jinnylea, thanks, I will let you know how the trovita taste when they're ripe in jan-feb.

Thanks Brian, your trees are looking fantastic as well, I spotted them on another thread on the forum.

Laura, thanks, if you lived nearby you'd be welcome to all the limes. Honestly those are the limes I can't get to inside the canopy because of the thorns so they fall to the ground.

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Thanks Steve! That is a huge fruit! :)

Cory, that Dekopon is magnificent! The tree.. the fruit.. Wow!! So sorry the critters got ahold of this year's fruit!! Bummer, hopefully with it blooming you will get some fruit.. How old is your tree.. Did you aquire it from Harris?? Mine is young, but doing well. I just love your beautiful greenhouse. . I never get tired of seeing your pictures :)

Recently I came across a forum discussion regarding the Dekopon. If I remember correctly, someone mentioned that in order for the fruit to get that wonderful, full flavor that the tree and fruit should be exposed to warm days and cool nights. Then to store the fruit another few weeks or so for the citric acid to mellow out..which would create the sweeter fruit that has the expected flavor profile of the Dekopon. Did you do anything special to get the fruit to achieve its good flavor?? Inquiring minds want to know.. lol

• poncirusguy6b452xx
    7 years ago

getting rid of squirrels

Use a pet raccoon infested with raccoon round worms and use it's dried poop and mix it with peanut butter and feed to the squirrels. The eggs will hatch and borough into their blood stream and settle into nerve/brain tissue and feed. The squirrel will loose coordination and the raccoons can catch and eat the squirrels and clean out your neighborhood. The worms then end up in the raccoon's intestine where they live and lay eggs to start over. Use a Havaheart trap with an apple as bait in a corn patch. You will catch every possum and raccoon in your neighborhood. Only then will your trees be safe.

6b Steve

• Michael Davis
    7 years ago

These are suppose to be Owari Satsumas. I planted them 3 years ago but I think they are to large for Satsumas. I took these pics 2 weeks ago and they have only gotten bigger. This is the first year they have produced so I'm anxious to see what's inside.

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Hi, Michael, Your trees and fruit are beautiful. I have a young, two and a half year old Owari Satsuma tree. It has its first flower, so I have not had any fruit to compare to yours yet, but, I read that the fruit can vary in shape depending upon the conditions where it is grown.. Here is a link that might help..

http://www.citrusvariety.ucr.edu/citrus/frostowari.html

• Michael Davis
    7 years ago

Thanks for the link. I hope the large size is due to the fact that I baby them. I inspect them every day, keep them on a consistent citrus fertilizer schedule, pull insects off of them . My wife tells me I act like they will grow hundred dollar bills the way I care for them. I'm surprised they are not turning color yet. It's cooling off here in 8B.

• calamondindave
    7 years ago

Here's one of my calamondins I'm getting ready to give away to a sick friend. Thought it might cheer her up. I should have pruned it a while back, but it just always has so many fruit on it I couldn't make myself do it.

• Laura LaRosa (7b)
    7 years ago

Michael, I understand...I baby mine too! I inspect them morning and evening...check for bugs...feed regularly. They are like my other kids! Dave....WOW...what a beautiful calamondin tree! Your friend will be thrilled with such a gift (I would be!). Did you grow that tree from seed or cutting? It has a beautiful shape!

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Dave, what a tree! You must really love the people you are giving that to. I don't even get plants from anyone, except I must say that Pip a member here was very kind to send me one..I am talking about family and friends around here..What I would do if I received a tree like that! I hope they appreciate it and come here for info on how to care for it..God, I would hate to see them not know a thing about them and then destroy that beauty!

By the way, I have that same pot! I love that pot.

Michael, amazing your trees are..You must be doing something right to have such nice trees..Thanks for taking pics for us..I love pics..

• calamondindave
    7 years ago

Thanks! Our friend is getting over chemo. She loves plants, but never had a citrus tree. We can hardly wait to give this to her. That's why I'm starting a lot of calamondins from seeds lately. I'd like to give them away as gifts eventually. There's just something special about a little Calamondin tree full of fruit.

laura: I think I bought that tree from a local nursery a few years ago. It's been a faithful fruiter. Not the prettiest we have, but it sure does fruit a lot.

mike: I really like those pots too. I have a few of them. All contain calamondins. Squirrel knocked one over the other day, broke it. Tree is ok and repoted in another one. Another squirrel ate up my longevity spinach today. Driving me nuts!

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Michael, give your trees the love and care they deserve, and, they will flourish and give you so much more in return. . Your trees reflect that.. :) I nurture and baby my trees in the same way you do.. It gives me a lot of enjoyment. ..

Dave, what a lovely calamondin tree! It looks so beautiful with all the fruit growing on it. Giving the plant to your friend is very thoughtful of you, and, I am sure she will love it and appreciate it very much.. :)

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

One of my Santa Teresa's is budding out and blooming! I am so excited!

• myermike_1micha
    7 years ago

Jinny..WOWOWOWOWOW

• jinnylea
    7 years ago

Does anyone else have pictures to share?? Would love to see them..