SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
scottybarron

The 3 day nightmare is over....I hope

Pawprint
7 years ago

4 days ago my laptop was attacked & held hostage by ransom-ware. I kept getting screen pops & the laptop would freeze & tell me to calll Microsoft & have my credit card ready to pay for them to release all my files & data.

I've never been so frustrated. They wanted $10,000 to release my computer!!!! Heck no. I tried everything I could think of. Ran numerous antivirus scans, deleted anything I thought might hold the ransom demand. Went thru my registry. Everytime I thought it was fixed, the next morning...same ransom.

I gave up yesterday & restored the whole computer to "out of the box" factory settings. Took hours. Then load back my programs. What a nightmare.

So far today it seems better. Now I'm super paranoid to open or search anything online.

Thank God I have a backup external hard drive I keep everything on so I didn't loose any data, programs, pictures and videos I've saved from family events for the past 10 years.

It was more of an inconvenience than anything. But I am not paying $10,000 to a hacker if I don't have to!!!!!

Comments (24)

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!