SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bob_cville

Blue Apron

bob_cville
7 years ago

I've heard several here mention that they have used the Blue Apron service. Well as a birthday gift for me, my wife signed up for the service, and the first delivery was promised "before 8:00" on Friday. Yeah, not so much. Tonight just after finishing cooking dinner, around 8:30, I happened to look out the front window and saw the Blue Apron box left sitting on the porch, and given that the motion detector porch light was on it must have just been placed there.

I brought it in and opened the box and opened the insulating bag inside. It didn't seem anything like cold, so I placed the probe from a digital thermometer in the insulating bag and closed it. It read 82 deg F.

The box contained the ingredients for three different recipes: Fresh herbs, vegetables, lemons, a head of garlic, orzo, faro (whatever that it), gnocchi, oyster mushrooms, an egg, and at the bottom between two completely melted ice packs two salmon filets.

The recipes they provided seem -- interesting -- although one features eggplant, and my rule of thumb is "There is no recipe containing eggplant that cannot be made better by not including eggplant". Another recipe calls for Maitake mushrooms, but the box only included oyster mushrooms.

I placed everything in the fridge, and am trying to figure out what must be discarded and what might still be usable. The orzo, the faro, the lemons, the corn, the tomatoes, the cucumbers, the reviled eggplant, the shallots, the green beans, the garlic and the pita breads are probably fine. The swiss chard and the fresh herbs seemed a little wilted and worse-for-the-wear, but are probably fine. I'm unsure of the gnocchi, the mushrooms, the egg, and the parmesan cheese. I'm pretty sure the butter, sour cream, and the beautiful salmon filets have to go. and I have no idea what labnah cheese is.

The "best" part is when I went out on the porch to get the box I heard some crashing or crunching noise at the end of the driveway, and saw headlights shining on the fence across the street. After unpacking the box I went to the end of the driveway to make sure the crunch wasn't the horse fence being knocked down. I found that someone, probably the delivery driver, had knocked the drivers side mirror off their vehicle on a pine tree at the edge of the driveway. So the driver is a mirror short and a day late.

Comments (13)

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living