SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dyhgarden

First "Blue Apron" delivery

DYH
8 years ago

I started a thread on cooking for one. Discussing the topic with my son and his wife, they told me they'd started Blue Apron deliveries. They have a 2 year-old and another due soon, so they needed a time-saver.

I got my first delivery today and am impressed!

There are three meals for two (but, since I'm one, I can have leftovers).

What impresses me is that you get a recipe with step-by-step instructions and pre-measured fresh ingredients. Instead of sending two garlic cloves or part of a shallot, they send the head, so you do have a few extras like that. They expect you to have olive oil, salt and pepper on hand. So, I'm cooking from scratch and learning new recipes!

What I really like is not having to come up with an idea of what to make...not having to go shop for ingredients that I may not use often...having it delivered fresh on schedule each week.

My order arrived right before lunch and I texted my son to come over. So, my first meal served two.

I made the Fontina & Preserved Lemon Grilled Cheese Sandwich with Endive, Clementine and Mint salad. We both loved it and would make it again on our own. Yes, I preserved the lemon, letting the slices marinate. They sent one clementine, and a beautiful little package of fresh mint on the stems. The Fontina cheese is excellent quality and I didn't want as much of it on my sandwich. So, I have a bit of cheese and salad left over.

The other two menus for this week (that came today) are Chicken Schnitzel with Fingerling Potato Salad and Ligonberry Jam; Center-cut pork chops with Warm Beet, Carrot and Walnut salad.

I have a seafood allergy, so I excluded seafood from my choices. You can also select vegetarian. The cost is $60 per week, but I can exclude weeks without being charged, if I'm not interested in the menu choices (you have some flexibility) or if on vacation.

Everything tastes fresh. The meats are vacuum sealed and good for 9 days from delivery. My son says he freezes his meats, but I intend to prepare another meal tomorrow, then have leftovers; then prepare the last meal.

Comments (70)