SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
ahelmers1

WWYD: Dementia and Surgery

runninginplace
7 years ago

My MIL is 92 YO and has been in an assisted living facility for the past year. She is physically very healthy but has dementia and layered on top an extremely stubborn and rigid personality (which is one reason she ended up an ALF but that's a different post ;).

Anyway she has a pretty severe cataract and we have been proceeding with plans to have it removed this week. However, the dr who had to sign the medical clearance did so extremely reluctantly because he feels-probably correctly-that with her diminished reasoning capacity and personality she is most likely unable to cooperate in the recovery process, ie she will be rubbing the eye, removing the eye protective cover etc.

We have to decide by tomorrow morning whether to go forward. The 4 of us (her 2 sons, my SIL and me) just don't know the right answer here. She has had 3 hip fractures and can hardly walk, is completely blind in that eye and her only recreational activity is watching tv and doing crossword puzzles so it seems cruel not to attempt to fix the vision problem.

OTOH we are all flummoxed about how and whether she can make it through a successful recovery. None of the 4 us are able to be with her 24/7 for several weeks, she absolutely will not cooperate with the ALF staff and she won't allow a nursing aide into her room to watch her either. There's a chance she won't mess up her eye. But if she does, it could well become a major medical issue if she gets an ocular infection, loses vision completely or has other bad effects.

Sorry for long winded explanation but if it were your mother what would you do? Leave her be and let nature take its course, or have the surgery and try to help as best we can? I have taken days off for the surgery and one day post-surgery but have to go back to work after that. My BIL and SIL are retired but live several hours away; he's coming down for surgery but can't stay longer. My husband can't take more days off.....we are really torn here.

Comments (54)