SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b

Does anybody ever use Behr paints here?

Our closest home improvement store is Home Depot & they sell all Behr products. I've had consistently good results & been satisfied w/ this brand. I also work for our municipal parks & recreation dep't & Behr is the brand used to paint our public recreation centers, which suffer a lot of wear & tear. It seems quite durable in that regard.

I see almost every post around here talks about Sherwin-Williams or Benjamin Moore & cannot ever recall seeing any mention of Behr brand paints.

I also assume that since HGTV has a relationship w/ Home Depot, that Behr brand paints are used on some of their shows, which seem to have a number of fans on these forums.

Just wondering if there's a reason for this, other than proximity/familiarity/brand loyalty...?

Comments (34)

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

I believe it's Lowe's that has the HGTV paints. I saw them the last time I was there.

I've used makes of paint. IMO and I am not a pro, Behr and Valspar are good but I do like SW and BM better. They are less runny and go on better. Consumer Reports also looks at value, so they always rate Behr pretty well.

Our exterior trim is Behr, and our deck is Lowe's Porch and Floor paint. Both have held up really well. But our contractor and his helper both really liked the SW Cashmere finish.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

We have anyways used Behr since Sears quit selling the Easy Living paint we were using. It is on the outside of our house now and it has been 10 to 15 years and is just now needing repainting. I don't know if the newer paints are as good since we haven't used them. We bought it before I knew there was an HGTV!

• Related Discussions

anybody ever use farfards #52 mix

Q

Comments (11)
    I recall you mentioning the roof water into the window boxes thing before. Honestly I think the best thing for your friend is properly functioning gutters. The amount of water coming off even a small roof during a good rain is very hard on any plant simply from the force of the water alone. Not to mention any nutrients in the mix are going to be completely flushed every time it rains. I don't know that any planting mix will be able to resolve all the issues roof water going directly into a window box creates. BTW, in my first post I didn't mean to imply anything good or bad about this particularly mix (I have never used it). Rather I thought it would be funny to hear the rep struggle to explain why his company's mix, in his opinion, needed assistance with drainage. I have heard from sources I consider reliable that Fafard brand products are generally better than average as they seem to actually have some quality control in place.
    ...See More

anybody ever use these as hosta containers?

Q

Comments (9)
    I use to grow Mums in this kind of basket. I have to say from experience they will not last a whole year. We would pot them up mid June with three cuttings per pot. But come October just as the mums are dying back the pots are done too. They sold well do to the rustic fall feel the pots added. But it was considered as expendable as the mum growing in it. The big issue being the wood is so thin. It takes little time for moisture to start to rotting it away. We would grow the mums like this up on wire benches instead of the ground. Specifically to allow excess water to drain off and away. If you planted the Hosta in nursery pots and set them down in the basket. Using a dish under the pot. You should be able to prolong their useful life. But keep the basket dry as best as possible. Jason This post was edited by W3CSX on Tue, Jun 24, 14 at 22:25
    ...See More

Has anybody ever used DCH skin care?

Q

Comments (10)
    I am curious about a skincare line called Paula's Choice. Has anyone heard of them? I learned about them through a website with discussion boards called makeupalley.com and they sound interesting. I purchased samples and am giving them a try. They are much less expensive than what I see at Sephora, Ulta, and the department stores. By the way, there is an interesting encyclopedia rating beauty products on the Paula's Choice website called the beautypedia. It has almost every product line you can think of with ratings. Here is a link that might be useful: Beautypedia Brand Ratings
    ...See More

Anybody ever painted their fridge with blackboard paint?

Q

Comments (5)
    Here's another link. She sanded her fridge to get it smoother: "Yes, my fridge had that "pebbly" surface. When I first started painting, I was concerned that the coats of paint would go on unevenly as a result, but I needn't have worried! The sanding solved that problem, and the seasoning was helpful in smoothing everything out." Here is a link that might be useful: another chalkboard fridge
    ...See More
  • carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oh duh! I forgot about the Lowe's connection to HGTV. I really don't watch that channel very much - hardly @ all, to be honest. There was that other conversation a while back about how it's changed over the years. There is just not much that interests me on HGTV anymore.

I like Lowe's & actually would prefer to shop there, but nearest store is about 20 minutes away & HD is about 10.

As for Sherwin-Williams &/or Benjamin Moore, nearest stores are on the other side of town as well & keep banker's hours, it seems.

• monicakm_gw
    7 years ago

I'm looking for a warm plum/purple and have found a few Behr colors I'm putting on my list. All the paint contractors around here use SW. I don't know why unless it's because it's accessible and they get better contractor prices. I would go with BM but there isn't a BM store in Tyler anymore. I have Kelly Moore, Ben Moore and SW in my home. The two rooms I like the best (paint quality) are BM.

• Elizabeth
    7 years ago

With all but the most exclusive brands of paint there are contractor grade garbage paints and premium paints. Because of the constantly evolving EPA requirements to make paints less toxic, paints have been changing rapidly over the past decade and it is no longer who has the best colors or the best stores, but who has the best chemists. I do like the Behr Ultra interior paint with primer better than most mid priced paints. They also have the computer program to mix most other brands' colors and the color match ability to match random items. For standard wall and trim paint I give them a solid thumbs up.

• aimeekm
    7 years ago

I used Sherwin Williams in my last home because I had been told it was important to use "quality" paint, and I would regret it if I didn't. So I used it, it was fine, but expensive when renovating a first home when the budget was very tight.

My new home has a beautiful color scheme chosen by the previous owner. The paint looks amazing IMO. So I was surprised when I went to do touch ups after moving in a picture hanging, that it was all Behr paint. At less than half the price of SW, I think I'll be using Behr next time!

• bpath
    7 years ago

Used Behr paint-and-primer-in-one for Ds' room, and will again. Have otherwise used BM, because the store that sells it is closer.

• Kristi
    7 years ago

I just repainted every inch of our new home with sw paints (my contractor let me use his discount for them) My bf's house, that we previously lived in, was painted with behr paint.

My viszla/lab mix dog often has "happy tail". Basically, she wags her tail so hard that the end splits open and sprays blood everywhere!

I can say, without a doubt, that the sw super paint and pro classic paint clean up WAY better and much easier than behr paint.

• User
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I use Behr and have posted that several times, I've even painted a bathroom cabinet with the Primer Paint they have and loved the way it turned out. Sherwin Williams streaks so I won't make that mistake again, BM is ok but very pricey.

I've read some people complain it doesn't cover well and for some dark colors we had to paint over I have to agree, but then NONE of the paint brands we tried covered dark colors well. The trick we discovered (eventually) is to tint your primer with an ounce of black and the gray keeps colors from bleeding through.

Kristi, funny how experiences differ, we used SW paint in our new masterbath several coats over new drywall and not only did the paint streak but condensation does not wash off either. We have a lab and I can clean the walls with Behr very easily. Wonder if finish plays a part in the difference though we typically used satin or egg shell everywhere.

• cawaps
    7 years ago

Most of my house is painted with Behr paint, some with Behr Ultra. I'm not unhappy. I use eggshell sheen, and have never had any trouble cleaning up anything.

• maggiepatty
    7 years ago

I've used Behr (and Benjamin Moore and Sherwin Williams and others) and I have been very happy with the Behr.

In my last house my main living area had walls and trim painted in Behr because it was economical and buying the house took all our money . Cream and white, with pets and four small children--including the wall that went up the stairs, which in some friends' homes was a problem wall. The paint cleaned up well and in the two spots where I needed to retouch after furniture was moved after a few years,the old paint and new paint blended so well I didn't need to redo the whole wall. I was thrilled.

We did have a foster dog with what we called "pitbull tail" (didn't know it was called happy tail!) and got blood spatter on walls throughout all three floors of the house. I do not recall having any problems getting the blood off of any of the walls, Behr or Benjamin Moore included. The wallpaper was another story :(

I have bought other brands out of convenience or when a painter requested to work with a particular brand or when I fell for a particular color and just bought the brand it came in. I cannot tell the difference from looking at them, but I'm not a pro by any means.

• gsciencechick
    7 years ago

Sherry, my father always used Sears Easy Living paint and I did, too, even in my last home, probably around 2000-2001. Then they stopped carrying paint.

• Bonnie
    7 years ago

My daughter uses only Behr and the last time she painted a room I helped her. I honestly could not tell the difference between Behr and Benjamin Moore. It went on well, covered nicely and is holding up well.

• maries1120
    7 years ago

We've painted 8 rooms in our house with Behr paint and we've been happy with it. We tried using Sherwin Williams Cashmere in one room and it was going on so streaky we stopped and switched to Behr. We are currently using Benjamin Moore for exterior shutters and are happy with that. Too early to tell how it will hold up.

We will be using B Moore in one interior room soon but a painter is doing that room. I haven't had any luck finding a BM color yet so it might be BM paint with a Behring color.

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

We've used all sorts of brands in numerous remodeling projects. Most recently we used a middle of the road SW for a high traffic hallway and stairwell. I had read so many good things about SW, and we had a good coupon, so we gave it a try. DH said never again. It was the most miserable paint he's ever tried to use; it coated very unevenly, had poor coverage, and didn't coat nearly the square footage that we've gotten out of gallons of home store brands.

I have a SW color swatch deck, and I do love looking through it. It's helpful for looking up particular colors mentioned online that I might consider using in our house. I tend to think of BM and SW paint names as "universal paint color languages", similar to using Latin for identifying plants. : ) In the future, I'll likely have colors mixed in a local store to match the SW deck, since many of their colors are very nice, and there are plentiful images online that give me a basic feel of whether I'll like those colors or not.

• pwilliams25
    7 years ago

Behr ultra paint is so thick. I painted my daughters bedroom red walls and ceiling white. It was the most difficult paint job ever. But once it was done it was beautiful. I had Behr premium plus in my living room for the last 15 or so years. It held up well. I just had it painted again along with the rest of the main floor with SW Accessible beige. As far as looks, they both look great. But the SW was much easier to work with.

• blubird
    7 years ago

I've used Behr (both with and without primer) in both eggshell, flat and now matte in all my rooms.

My late lab Spencer had several bouts of happy tail, with blood spatter all over my walls in several rooms, the walls cleaned easily. As a matter of fact, last week I moved my baker's rack in the kitchen and found more spatter....Spencer died in June. Those spatters cleaned off easily, too.

For trim work, though, I prefer BM Regal.

• lazy_gardens
    7 years ago

I've used Behr a lot, and really liked their "flat enamel" for it's durability - switched to Valspar for this house rather than make a 2-hour round trip to get Behr. I've also used Glidden, BM and SW. And a couple of private brands from ACE of True Value stores.

The technique of the painter is as important as the paint - if you don't prime with the appropriate primer (if needed), spread the paint too thin, don't feather the edges when cutting in ... it will look bad.

• Kippy
    7 years ago

I used Behr. Inside and out. I did the work and brushed or rolled

My work paint contractors likes SW but.... Because the way it goes through the the sprayer He admits the Behr rates higher

• laughablemoments
    7 years ago

I think you nailed it Kippy. The paint cans we got from SW boasted on the labels that the paint didn't need to be thinned for spraying. So, for contractors who spray, it's probably great.

• Sherry8aNorthAL
    7 years ago

gsciencechick, I really hate the way Sears and Penneys have gone down. Sears used to be the place for paint, tools, appliances, bedding, and towels. Penneys was bedding, bath, and clothes. All high quality in a huge range of colors. Then they went the cheap route like everyone and nothing was worth paying for.

Laughablemoments and Kippy, I think you have nailed the reason contractors like SW and BM. They spray! Behr is aimed at the diy person and is formulated for brushes and rollers. Behr is what I plan on using.

• czarinalex
    7 years ago

I've been using Behr paints almost exclusively for the past 10-15 years. I've always been happy with the end results. I tend to like Restoration Hardware colors and have great luck getting the Behr paints color matched. Once they are dry on the wall, indistinguishable from the RH paint chip.

Just finished our major renovation using Behr paints & colors.

• eastautumn
    7 years ago

I used Behr for a bedroom in my old house and remember having to buy a second gallon to get a second coat and discovering the second gallon was a VERY different consistency from the first one (much thicker and harder to apply). I brought it back to Home Depot and they exchanged it without charging me, so at least the customer service was good. I haven't tried it since then, but if I found a Behr color I wanted to use I wouldn't be afraid to use it again. It does tend to rate as a good value on Consumer Reports, as does Lowe's Valspar paint.

I've also noticed that SW and BM are the only 2 brands mentioned here with any regularity. I've used both SW and BM with fine results (I tend to be lazy about color matching and buy whatever brand sells the color I decide on for a project). I really like Glidden (for their color palette and paint quality) which is also at Home Depot. I have a ton of Glidden paint chips in lots of colors saved from various painting projects and am glad I do, because it's disappointing that they only have a limited color selection of paint chips now. They can still mix up old colors if you give them the name or color code, but you have to have the old paint chips to even know which colors and shades are available.

• Errant_gw
    7 years ago

I've always had great results with Behr paints :)

• carolb_w_fl_coastal_9b
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the replies all, seems like a net positive = )

My experience has been positive too, so far...

• PRO
    Lars/J. Robert Scott
    7 years ago

I've bought Martha Stewart paint at Home Depot - did they stop selling it? My house interior was painted with Behr paint by the previous owners, and we've maintained it without problems. I see no reason not to use it, as long as you can get the colors you want. I found it to be quite thick and give good coverage.

• EvaElizabeth
    7 years ago

Growing up my parents were very loyal to Sherwin Williams. When my first painting projects came up I was just starting out on my own I couldn't afford SW, so I used Behr and liked it. Years later I continued to use it just for the sake of convenience. However, I hardly ever use their colors. I've actually even been known to mix my own colors with artists paint at home to make color cards for the store to color match when I can't find exactly what I want. I can't speak to the painting application of SW, but both have been good, durable, finishes in my experience. But primer matters, it really does.

• Annegriet
    7 years ago

My Dad used it once to paint my bedroom once and he said it was not good. I prefer Benjamin Moore. Great customer service and color selection.

• lam702
    7 years ago

I've used Behr paints quite a bit, no problem with it. I have not found any paint brand that is really "one coat coverage" especially when painting a light color over a dark. Maybe its just my painting skills, but I always need to do 2 coats. I've also used Valspar, Clark and Kensington and Benjamin Moore. I've never used Sherwin WIlliams, simply because it wasn't available nearby. I see that Lowes does sell a version of Sherwin Williams paint now, so I might try that the next time I need paint. Whatever is on sale, I've used but I never get the cheapest paint in whatever line I choose. I will say, we don't have children or dogs that can get the walls dirty, so I've never had to test how well the paint handles scrubbing, my walls stay pretty clean.

• tracie_erin
    7 years ago

We used Behr Truly Olive in our master, and I believe the nursery is Behr too. We prefer them to the BM we used in the other rooms, but then we did switch sheens (to eggshell) as well.

• powermuffin
    7 years ago

My husband has always painted the outside of our homes, even the 3 story home. Until recently he used SW, but for our current house he used Behr. He really likes it because it doesn't fade or peel in our sunny CO climate. However, it is runny so you have to watch for the drips. I've used their interior paints too and they seem to be fine.

• runninginplace
    7 years ago

My DIL bought Behr primer/paint (mid quality level) for her new house, and that was my first experience using it. I've always been a Benjamin Moore fanand I certainly saw a HUGE quality difference between it and Behr--not in Behr's favor either. The Behr didn't cover in one coat even after priming the rooms with Kilz so it took double coats everywhere. Never had to do that, ever, with BM even when covering strong or dark colors.

My conclusion is that it's completely false economy to spend 'half' the price on cheap paint....because you are going to need twice the amount LOL. Then too the extra work is not something I care to do; painting is a PITA as it is.

No more Behr for me, I'm staying with better quality paints and an easier user experience.

• User
    7 years ago

Interesting, Runningplace, because I had the opposite experience. I tried both SW and BM but couldn't work with their consistency--there were streaks and those dipple holes where coverage was lacking. I think it must be the difference in painting techniques and tools, and how you are accustomed to the painting process. (I do not like Kilz as a primer, though--it's like painting over plastic unless you let fully cure.)

My high-traffic areas--mudroom and hallway--are Behr and I have to regularly wash the walls because of my dog's fur oils. The paint has held up just fine. Just last week I used vinegar and soap to scrub one particularly dirty area. The dirt came off and you can't tell where the wall was scrubbed.