SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
msjerseygirl

Inherited Daddy's Desert Rose(s)

My aging parents in Jacksonville, Florida, shipped me their DR as all their tropicals are getting to be too much for my dad.

So today, I picked up the box from UPS, unpacked, and excitedly found 4 little DR's in addition to the one big Momma! I had no idea these little ones were coming too, so it was a wonderful surprise!

Since I'm in NJ and normally bring in all my tropicals mid October before the first frost advisory, these DR's only have about a month outside once I pot them.

I am thinking of potting the big one in a clay pot with gritty mix after I rinse the remaining soil off of it.

Only one of the four little ones has some roots, so I will probably put the little rooted one in gritty mix too. The other 3 must have broken off while being handled prior to packaging and have no roots.

What is the best way to root these 3 little ones? Right in gritty mix too? Can I put all 4 of these little ones in the same pot too for now or keep them separate?

Would it be smart or not to mix the gritty mix with some cactus/succulent soil or straight gritty mix? If so, what ratio? I prefer to stay away from soil, which reduces a lot of problems (bugs, mold, root rot).

I plan on keeping them outside under an overhang, that no longer gets direct sunlight due to our shorter days already! :(

Any and all advice would really be appreciated. These little babies mean the world to me...a piece of my dad from so many miles away! Thanks so much!

Comments (9)