SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
grasswhisperer

Should I assume Tall Fescue is "Turf Type?"

grasswhisperer
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

in eastern Mass - I'd like to mix in a little shade-tolerant grass for some moderately shady areas in backyard. Existing lawn is KBG/Rye/fescue mix. By fescue - I believe it's mostly fine fescue. I'm not the original homeowner but in recent years I've reseeded with Pennington Northeast Mix, which, as mentioned is, KBG/Rye/fine fescue.

I don't think I need "dense shade" mix as the areas are not under trees but more just shaded from the house and deck in the later afternoon. Probably 3-5 hours of sun.

So I'm thinking Sun and Shade mix. The Pennington Sun and Shade mix contains the following:

• Pennington ATF 1376 Tall Fescue
  • Pennington ATF 1258 Tall Fescue
  • Survivor Chewings Fescue
  • Ridgeline Kentucky Bluegrass

Trying to educate myself on Tall Fescue. I need to go back to basics and ask a stupid question: The "Tall Fescues" that are sold in these typical blends - are they all "Turf type" tall fescues, TTTF?

My understanding is that TTTF does NOT grow in bunches and plays nicely within a KBG/Rye/fine fescue mix? I do have some bunch-like grasses that I'm pretty sure are Kentucky Tall Fescue (K31) - and just making sure that the tall fescue cultivars that come in these mixes are NOT bunch growing. I don't want to add any more bunches!!

Maybe I'm just reading too much old-school tall fescue stuff on the web that talks about it growing in bunches. But is any modern tall fescue cultivar assumed to be a TTTF??

Thanks much -

Brad in MA

Comments (7)