SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
cbmullen

Tank Or Tankless Water Heatin

cbmullen
7 years ago

I recently had a new HE Carrier Infinity natural gas furnace and outside AC unit installed. My old ones were installed in 1971 and were costing me a small fortune to operate. I have some nasty well water so I've also installed a whole house water filtration system and a water softener. It's time to replace my Rheem 40 gallon natural gas tank water heater with a new one, as my existing one was also installed in 1971.

There are three people residing in my home. I am usually the only one here as the other two work six days a week. We don't do a lot of entertaining and we seldom have guests that stay more than two or three days. There is only one shower and one bath, both in the main bathroom.

I've read several discussions pertaining to tankless water heaters but none that apply to my situation. I'm seeking advice on whether to install a new 50 gallon short/tall tank heater or go for an outside tankless.

I'm considering an outside tankless so that I can mount it near the gas meter and to lower any noises that may be heard inside the house. An outside tank would also eliminate the need for any venting or combustion lines in the basement. Adding a new electrical circuit to the outside tankless heater would be no problem.

The cost of a good 50 gallon short or tall non-direct vent, automatic flue damper tank heater with an Energy Star rating is appx. $700-$800. The cost of a 9.5 GPM natural gas high efficiency (Energy Star rated) outdoor tankless water heater is appx. $1200-$1400.

If a tankless is mounted near my gas service it will be about twenty feet to the main bathroom and fifty feet to the kitchen and small bathroom. If it's mounted inside in the basement it would be about fifteen feet to the kitchen and small bathroom and thirty feet to the main bathroom.

Should I go with a tankless? Do you recommend inside or outside mounted? Do these tankless water heaters actually save a lot of money on the monthly natural gas bill or would I achieve the same savings by simply replacing my current very old and very inefficient 40 gallon short tank in the basement with a 50 gallon, automatic flue dampener, Energy Star rated short/tall tank water heater? I have no intention of installing a direct vent tank water heater. I feel that they are woefully overpriced.

Thank you in advance for your time and any assistance provided. If I don't promptly answer a reply it's because the Houzz notification system never seems to notify me when a reply is given.

Comments (2)