SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
josh_burch12

Bonide Sedge Ender on Saint Augustine

TS Garp
7 years ago

So I tried reeljake's favorite - Bonide Sedge Ender on my Saint Augustine lawn.

dmt said when she used a product with the same AI it gave her grass a burnt orange effect (on SA grass). I think it was reeljake that said he uses it on his relative's SA lawn with no ill effects. I believe he used 3 oz/gal for spot spraying. That's what I used. I used a Chapin 61800 backpack sprayer with supplied fan tip. Yard was mowed one day prior (too soon? - didn't check label for that specifically, such a rookie). Temp was around 85 deg. Highs since application were between 85-90. Lots of rain prior to application (Hermine), no more water until my sprinklers did their thing 7 days later. About 8 days (and one mowing) later it looks like this:

Bonide Effect

Bonide Effect - Close up

The lower portion of the SA grass appears to be unaffected, every 'burnt' piece of grass I have specifically inspected branches off from what appears to be unaffected grass. So it may be unnoticeable after another mowing or two.

No pictures right now, but you can tell what yellow nutsedge you apply this to within a few days, the seed heads start turning brown, and then the rest of the plant starts to be effected.

It seems to have a much slower effect on spurge, areas I really blanket sprayed probably got more AI, and that spurge is browning. The spurge within good SA grass I was more careful with and some show some sign of effects, others none. I'll keep looking.

It has had some kind of effect on virginia buttonweed, but not sure of long term results yet. There may be some buttonweed in the close up photo.

I don't think it is labeled for doveweed, but the doveweed I have sprayed has turned a more sickly color.

Out of curiousity, in one area of my yard I am willing to test with, I tank mixed Sedge Ender (3 oz/gal) with Celsius (med rate). So far the grass doesn't seem to be any more stressed than when I used Sedge Ender alone.

To review, I am in Jacksonville, FL area with Saint Augustine grass.

Let me know if links don't work.

Comments (13)