SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lynnnm

(Sigh) My Sweet Dad Died Today

LynnNM
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

It was just 6 months and two days ago that my Mom passed from that horrible disease no one has ever heard of (Progressive Supranuclear Palsy). It's been hard on us all, but Dad's been at the wonderful senior living place still, where he and Mom had been living. It's very close to most of my large family back in Michigan, and everyone visited him often. Dad had been getting progressively weaker and his dementia more and more noticeable. He was 89 and had lived such a full, happy, wonderful life . . . but he was missing "my beautiful bride" so much. He called her that my entire life. We knew it was only a matter of time. He became much sicker on Labor Day and my family took turns staying with him. Hospice made him comfortable. Last night he was unconscious and very restless. This morning he woke and told my two sisters there with him that he wanted to stand up. They helped him stand, and he died in their arms a moment later. I know Mom was with him there, too, and that brings me comfort.

They were the greatest parents and role models. Dad was a bank vice-president, but his free time was totally for our family. Our homes were the gathering places for all our friends. Not because we had a summerhouse on a lake outside Ontario, a pool in our backyard and a fun game room downstairs (edited to add: that was because we had so many kids that family vacations elsewhere were too crazy to even consider). It was because my parents were always so welcoming and friendly to our friends and neighbors. As adults, a number of our friends confessed to us that their own parents were not so kind and loving as we'd assumed, and that they'd loved spending time at our home because they were always welcomed and because my parents were "so kind, and loving and fun, just like normal parents in a happy family movie were". Our neighbors called us "The Waltons" of our town (LOL). Yes, we took our happy childhoods for granted back then, but will be forever grateful for them now. Mom & Dad had a very long, very happy and loving marriage and were each other's best friends. They were also wonderful role models and mentors. Their beautiful legacy, we've promised them, will live on through our children and grandchildren and beyond. They had nine children, 21 grandchildren and fourteen great-grandbabies with many more to come. This is a photo of them taken at a family wedding. This dance was only for them, surrounded by their cheering, clapping, loving family. This is not a sad post. Rather, it's my little personal celebration of two of the most amazing, wonderful people I've ever known. I'm just blessed that they were also my parents.

And on their own wedding day:

Comments (78)

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio