SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
heathersmullen

Trying to save a rose via rooted cutting - advice needed

hsm (7a, VA)
7 years ago

I have a 2-year old Sunshine Daydream that was struggling this year, then put out one huge, happy cane while the rest of the plant was dying back...and then we had a windy day, and the wind knocked that one healthy cane over. It split vertically near the bottom, with one half still attached to the graft and the other not attached. The whole thing was going to die if I left it like that, so I cut the cane off the plant just above the split, immediately wet it and dipped it in powdered rooting hormone, and put it in Espoma organic potting soil which I then watered. The pot has drainage holes at the bottom, and I have it sitting in a window where it gets indirect light. Is there anything else I need to do? Should I cut off the remaining smaller canes and foliage and cover it with a mason jar, or leave it as is? (The section of cane is about 6 inches long.) I really want to save this rose if at all possible, and I have zero experience rooting cuttings. Just happened to have the rooting hormone on hand since I'd planned to try rooting a few cuttings at some point in the future. Any tips for increasing my odds of success would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (3)