SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
conniemcghee

I'm trying to root cuttings...

conniemcghee
14 years ago

I'm on a big rooting cutting kick right now.

Outside I have rooted about eight little baby butterfly bushes (Honeycomb). I put them in about a month ago. I checked them yesterday with a very gentle tug, and it seems like all but two are rooted. Hope they'll be OK when the cold weather gets here. I'm debating whether I should put a few of them under a plastic bottle.

I also rustled a few roses recently. I have two cuttings going inside in "ghetto greenhouses," plastic soda bottles cut in half. I have the tops (and caps) on the bottles for now. Those have been in for about a week, and so far they look OK.

I also put a couple of rose cuttings outside, under a soda bottle. I'm going to try the "just leaving them alone until spring" method with those.

Today I took cuttings of Zephirine Drouhin, and I'm trying those in plastic cups inside a baggie.

The thing I can't seem to find any info on is, for the ones I have inside, do I take them out of the "greenhouse" environment once they form roots? And am I doomed to fail because I don't have grow lights for the winter, or can I just keep them in a sunny window?

If anyone has any info on this they wouldn't mind sharing, I'd be appreciative!

Thanks!

Comments (14)

Sponsored