SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eweandbee

Dark Desire suprises

eweandbee
7 years ago

So my new Dark Desire just bloomed for the first time. It has been in the ground since this July. I planted it as a gallon pot. Anyway, it has already managed a few surprises. Some good, some not so good.

First of all, I was pleasantly surprised by the beautiful initial bloom color. The only way to describe it is pure velvet:

Second suprise came the next day, as the bloom unfurled. White stripes! Where did that come from?! Unexpected, but not in a bad way. Also, the opened bloom color turned a beautiful, juicy, dark cherry. Lighter than the bud, but still very pretty. Unfortunately, try as I may, I couldn't capture the color:

And for the the final surprise, a big disappointment. The scent. I expected a lot from this "Parfuma" rose, but alas, it has not lived up to my expectations in the scent department. First of all, the scent is rather light. Which is probably a good thing considering how oddly unpleasant it is. To my nose, it smells like something very artificial. An almost chemical smell. Every time I take a whiff, I think of "all-purpose kitchen spray cleaner". Yuck. I sincerely hope that the scent will improve with the age of the plant.

Has anyone else had a DD with white stripes and/or odd scent? Did either characteristic change over time for you?

Comments (68)

Sponsored
Daniel Russo Home
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars13 Reviews
Premier Interior Design Team Transforming Spaces in Franklin County