SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bcroselover

Review of Hybrid Tea Dark Desire

bcroselover
8 years ago

Hi Everyone:

Last autumn many of us shared what roses we were ordering and Dark Desire seemed a rather popular choice. I got mine from Palantine, and oh boy, was it ever healthy. It took off and even after the deer chomped most of its stems it just kept pumping out new growth, bursting with health, resisting the white flies that tormented the roses growing right next to it, not touched by blackspot. I usually like straight dark red roses, and avoid purple in roses. But photos of Dark Desire suggested a deep red rose with sophisticated dark violet overtones. The first 2 or 3 days of the opening buds are indeed spectacular (photo below), starting out deep wine colored then turning deep red.

However, the third or fourth day, when the rose is fully open, it reveals a deep coral coloured rose veined and splotched with purple (see below).

Many people love coral or purple coloured roses and I am not one of them, so this was a disappointment to me. Worse, the colour becomes much more gaudy as time goes along. My thought was: "Dark Desire: as in, 'I wish it was darker'; or as in "I wish it would hurry up and get dark so I don't have to see it in my garden'". Of course many people won't feel that way, and I have found the first 2 or 3 days of this rose to be so spectacular I'm gad I bought it, but I'll be quick to snip them off when they go over the top.

Comments (79)