Houzz Logo Print
scottybarron

Political but not political question

Pawprint
7 years ago

First, I don't want this to be a hot topic nor a political
debate. Just a question.

Does anyone know why Hillary used her own private email
server (regarding all this email scandal)?

Were there alternatives she should have been using or was it
never a big deal before now?

It’s hard for me to make a clear an educational decision
without knowing the “what & why” her private server was used as opposed to
something I guess the government would have provided.

I will “not” entertain any political debate here or bashing
of either presidential candidate, let’s reserve that for the real “hot topic”
forum.

I’m just curious about the “why” she chose her private email
server over a government one. Some may
say this was malicious intent or trying to hide things. And who knows, although I hope not. But could this be an honest mistake that any
of us could make?

I’m open to any response as my mind isn’t made up or
convinced either way regarding this email scandal.

Comments (98)

• Georgysmom
    7 years ago

AMEN, Wanda. This wasn't a question about Hillary Clinton, this wasn't a question about Donald Trump. This was a question about the private server. I was also appalled that she had her lawyers going through her E-mails. What security clearances did they have. There were E-mails on that server that were so secret even some of the FBI agents were not allowed to see them! And yes, she destroyed evidence AFTER it was subpoenaed by Congress. That's obstruction of justice. Once she decided to use one server for both private business and state business, she had no right to destroy anything even private stuff. Those E-mails now belong to We the People! It wasn't just a mistake, it was a HUGE mistake! I watched the Congressional hearings with Director Comey and I watched that one Congressman who was a retired CIA agent. He had tears in his eyes as he thought about his fellow CIA agents still in Iraq and Afghanistan whose lives could be very much in danger due this carelessness. This is very serious business as far as I am concerned.

Pawprint thanked Georgysmom
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Oh, please. Just absurd, Georgysmom. Like Wanda's claiming an email from HRC caused the death of that scientist. Total bunk.

Pawprint thanked tibbrix
  • Related Discussions

Political Contributions-Tax Question?

Q

Comments (1)
    from irs.gov... Campaign Expenses You cannot deduct campaign expenses of a candidate for any office, even if the candidate is running for reelection to the office. These include qualification and registration fees for primary elections. Legal fees. You cannot deduct legal fees paid to defend charges that arise from participation in a political campaign.
    ...See More

Politically incorrect Mother-in-law question (ugh)

Q

Comments (43)
    After coming back to this thread a second time, I am wondering if she keeps giving these gifts because she wants something to do? It could give her a focus. I used to work with someone who gave his mother the "job" of buying socks for the whole family. She learned what everyone liked and the family appreciated not having to shop for this one item. I am wondering too, if her own house is filled with odd purchases? It is mind boggling. My husband has an aunt that gives the cheapest and most inappropriate gifts. They are wealthy people! Once, she explained that she often buys things and saves them for that special occasion. That would be fine, however how do you justify a half painted ceramic piece that was from a pottery class, a butterfly pin that is rusty on the back, a wallet or scarf that is from 30 years ago? Or my favorite a huge,and I mean huge ceramic piggy bank that she gave to my then two year old? Since we don't see her often, all of it went into the trash. What is interesting is that this aunt honestly believes she is giving an appropriate gift.
    ...See More

Political phone calls

Q

Comments (26)
    tish - I am not in an open primary state. Just a state that is assumed to go Democrat so no point in anyone spending money here. I do get calls for non-presidential campaigns. We got a ridiculous number of calls a few years ago when we had a high profile congressional election. It was truly annoying so I understand how those of you in first primary/swing states must feel. My experiences with campaigning and where the information comes from. I worked for the Ramsey Clark senatorial campaign (yes, I'm pretty old) when I was in college. I had a copy of the voter registration roles for my area and I sent literature to everyone registered as a Democrat or independent. (How old school and small budget does that sound? lol) I did one session of calling for candidate Obama. We called registered Democrats. The point of it was more to get out the vote rather than change minds. I didn't do it again because the campaign office didn't have enough phones so I had to use my mobile phone. I got calls afterwards from people who hadn't answered their phones. "Saw you on caller ID, what did you call about?" calls. We had been advised not to leave messages but in retrospect maybe we should have. Hang in there everyone!
    ...See More

Need help understanding government/political science

Q

Comments (301)
    Really, it's just not going to happen. You seem awfully certain... for something that's years away. Did anyone seriously think T could win? We don't know what is going to happen in 4 years. At this point in B. Clinton's first term, his approval ratings were lower than T's are now. Events have a way of happening and changing what everyone thought was a political certainty. Trump recent weekly average- May 22-28- 41% approval Bill Clinton June 1993- 37% approval Aside from which, if T is really so corrupt and there's so much evidence as people here are suggesting, he could be impeached w/in the first 2 years. Then, Ryan and long-awaited and vitally necessary entitlement reform! You think people are going to vote for someone who wants to hurt them by taking away their health insurance, Medicare or social security? Yes. I do. First off, Obamacare really really really sucks. People hate it. And Medicare and Social Security have a lot of fiscal problems coming over the long-term. I'd be thrilled if both programs were fundamentally reformed or phased out over time. And people vote for lots of other reasons other than politicians promising to let them keep government programs. If people primarily voted on the basis of protecting these programs, republicans wouldn't control every single branch of government and the vast majority of states and fill just about every elected office higher than dog catcher in most of the country between the coasts. Whether Trump / Pence / Ryan can win is a major function of whomever the democrats can find to run. Could any one of those 3 R's beat Biden? Probably not, although Biden's gonna be really old. But all of those 3 could beat Hillary (and I would not be surprised if she ran again--- she just won't go ever away!) or Chelsea C (and I cannot believe the way the media is pushing her... seriously, you'd think the democrats would want this whole family to just disappear!) or E. Warren or Bernie. Right now, I'm hard pressed to see who the democrats could run, other than Biden, with a reasonable shot at winning. Dems are going to have to figure out who their base is. Do they want to be the progressive coastal party or try to get some of the woking class voters back who live between the coasts (this isn't to say R's aren't divided too... they definitely are... but I think R's tend to fall in line/ come home to whomever their candidate is more so than D's do)
    ...See More
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

For everyone's edification:

Pawprint thanked tibbrix
  • Pawprint
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Gregory, I agree. I didn't ask about Hillary or Trump. Personally I'm having a hard time learning more about where Hillary stands on issues because most of her time now revolves around this email issue.

I thought it was over when the Feds cleared her, but it just keeps going. She's constantly on the defensive.

• tibbrix
    7 years ago

She should refuse to respond to anymore questions about it. It's another "Benghazi", endless circling which will end with nothing....except possibly a Trump presidency, which IMO would be an actual disaster, v. a non-hacked email server.

Pawprint, in the meantime, you can go to her Web site to get her positions on issues and her policy proposals, as well as look up her voting record from when she was in Congress. She is much more impressive, balanced, etc., than she has deliberately been portrayed as being.

Pawprint thanked tibbrix
  • liz
    7 years ago

land sakes...is this an election year or sumpin?

Pawprint thanked liz
  • Georgysmom
    7 years ago

My final comment and then as far as I am concerned, the subject is closed. If Hillary had used a Government server and it was hacked, the onus is on the Government. Using a private, unsecured server, if it was hacked, the onus is on her, The FBI cannot prove it was hacked, but suspect it probably was. Only time will tell. If nothing else, she has brought to the forefront how much more security is needed in this day and age of Cyber warfare.

Pawprint thanked Georgysmom
  • graywings123
    7 years ago

The FBI cannot prove it was hacked, but suspect it probably was.

No, that's not what FBI Director Comey said. He said it was "possible" that her account was accessed.

Pawprint thanked graywings123
  • linda_6
    7 years ago

This is my last comment on this election. I don't care for any one of them. I know that one of those idiots will be our next president and God help us all for the next 4 or more years, but neither one will get my vote. Yes, I will be voting but not for either one of them. I just can't do it. I do not listen to any of the debates, I mute all the commercials and I will not read anything more about either one of them. We all have no choice but to bear it for now. To me this is not an election, it's a disaster.

Pawprint thanked linda_6
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

"he FBI cannot prove it was hacked, but suspect it probably was. "

That is FALSE.

Pawprint thanked tibbrix
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

"I do not listen to any of the debates, "

Wow.

I'm always amazed that people who admit they don't listen, get informed, etc., have such strong, definitive conclusions. Where do they come from if people don't listen and learn???

Pawprint thanked tibbrix
  • Jane
    7 years ago

I have a small business client who uses a private email server. I don't know why. I assume a tech talked her into it. It can't be that expensive. Her data is not classified, just business proprietary and she has client information she may want to protect. I'm surprised that she felt the need for it, but like anything else, we shop for solutions and get talked into things.

For this reason, I think private email servers are common. A lot of businesses have private email servers. I could probably set one up on my server if I wanted to, possibly at no additional cost.

Pawprint thanked Jane
  • bossyvossy
    7 years ago

@tibbrix, I wished I felt as confident about the data as you seem to be. I do not believe ANY of them, not a one! You can manipulate data and surveys to say anything. I have little faith, how sad for me, no?

Pawprint thanked bossyvossy
  • linda_6
    7 years ago

tibbrix, I edited my statement saying I will not listen to any more debates. I have listened in the past and they are not debates. All it is is mudslinging. So I guess the one that slings the most mud wins. Again, God help the USA. We're going to need it.

Pawprint thanked linda_6
  • FlamingO in AR
    7 years ago

Wanda, I just want you to know that I value your opinion and your many years working for the government and your clearances. My husband had similar clearances and even now, 25 years after leaving the business, he is still being checked up on, the government is still concerned if he talks too much or if people around here know what he used to work on. He takes his clearances very seriously and is horrified by what is going on and what is being allowed to be gotten away with.

Please don't let one person's opinion shut you up. You have every right to voice your opinion.

Pawprint thanked FlamingO in AR
  • User
    7 years ago

Pawprint

Personally I'm having a
    hard time learning more about where Hillary stands on issues because
    most of her time now revolves around this email issue.

I thought it was over when the Feds cleared her, but it just keeps going. She's constantly on the defensive.

Like Tibb suggested, if you want to see where Hillary stands on the issues visit her website and while you're at it visit Trump's too. It's like night and day!

The reason Hillary seems constantly on the defensive about the emails is because the issue has passed, but some people can't let it go ... like a dog with a bone.

Pawprint thanked User
  • User
    7 years ago

Just read an excellent set of posts that pretty much sums up why there's a lack of real substance in this campaign.

6 hours ago

chase_gw

I
    agree with Annie. I wish the focus would stay on policy rather than the
    back and forth. The press makes me crazy. They spend all their time on
    the carp and no time on the substance.

Trump gets away with things the American press should be all over.
    This is not a bloody joke, it's not entertainment it is about some very,
    very serious issues.

ojo_sigo

But that is where you are wrong Chase it is precisely that - entertainment

momj47(7A)

And that's the problem.

The media loves the entertainment that Trump is bringing to this election.

So much more fun than the policy wonks of past elections, talking
    about serious boring issues. Nobody watches TV for serious boring
    policy talk.

So they will keep looking for the entertainment in the Clinton campaign,

And, sadly, it all comes from the RWNJ's and their made up stories.

Like the RW forum members (look at their sources), the national media
    doesn't even fact check their stories any more - after all, if it's on
    the internet it must be true!

So expect more of the same, and worse.

Pawprint thanked User
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

"Please don't let one person's opinion shut you up."

Refuting what someone put out as fact when it is not fact is not "shutting someone up."

Why do you think falsehoods should go unchallenged or not corrected, Flamingo.

And saying that someone was killed because of an email is not a matter of opinion. It is matter of fact, and in this case there are no facts to back it up. So people are entitled to their opinions, but they are not entitled to spread falsehoods, they are not allowed to call someone responsible for a death when they are in fact not so. In fact that is illegal and it is called slander.

I cannot fathom how anyone can defend someone saying something and as false as someone having been killed because of an email and being told it is okay and that they are entitled to their opinion and anyone who points out that it is not correct is "trying to shut them up." And Flamingo, it is not my opinion that it is false. It is a fact that it is, and I posted links for you and Wanda to LEARN that it is FALSE.

That is pretty incredible.

Pawprint thanked tibbrix
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

Linda, then don't engage or post here.

Just because you say you won't debate any longer doesn't mean no one else can and that no one can respond to your comments. It means YOU don't want to comment any longer ,so don't. That is your right.

Pawprint thanked tibbrix
  • Vertise
    7 years ago

This is not the Hot Topics Forum.

Pawprint thanked Vertise
  • OllieJane
    7 years ago

tibbrix, is it false that Bill Clinton met with AG Loretta Lynch on the tarmac? And you think that was coincidental?

Pawprint thanked OllieJane
  • nanny98
    7 years ago

This thread has been very interesting and it does prove that "touchy" subjects can be discussed without being a Hot Topic. Nice. It has been good reading and I, for one, feel like I have "heard" some of the arguments. My DH has had those very high clearances as well as others here and he holds things close to his chest...and we served our country in the security field overseas for many years. Admittedly, I have avoided watching most of the TV coverage, but have read much and done some background reading. It , IMO is time to put these "investigations" to rest. They are finished and we have only a small window to really look at these two candidates and measure their competence, their character, their willingness to be good citizens to all and to care for the lest among us. And maybe, be thoughtful about our counrtys' position in the human race on this planet. We need to think about how our President will consider all the repercussions that can and will take place, as a reaction to our actions. Our President can no longer be like Teddy Roosevelt and wield a 'big stick" WE, have to be "team players" on the big stage of World politics. Ambassadors and Leaders have to find ways bring common sense and compromise to the world table.

That is what the debate should be about. (IMO) We are a nation in as much trouble as some of our neighbors sharing this planet. We need to heal our divisiveness and and move forward peacefully.

Leaving my soapbox now.

Pawprint thanked nanny98
  • User
    7 years ago

Nanny, I "liked" your comment, but feel it really does deserve a bit more. Thank you!

Pawprint thanked User
  • paperweights
    7 years ago

Yes, I keep returning to, "Why was Bill Clinton with Loretta Lynch on the tarmac?" It seems very shady if not downright criminal. People seem to want to give a pass on that, but why?

Pawprint thanked paperweights
  • User
    7 years ago

Re: the tarmac meeting.

It wasn't unusual in Bill Clinton's circle, as a former president, to socialize on the tarmac. The timing of his meeting with Loretta Lynch provided not-so-great optics, but the act of doing so was hardly unusual for him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/02/us/politics/bill-clinton-tarmac-history.html?_r=0

Pawprint thanked User
  • lily316
    7 years ago

I find in very telling that ALL five living presidents do not support Trump. These guys have been in the office and know the difficulties and decisions to be made. ALL five will not vote for Trump. Laura Bush will vote for Hillary. These five plus the list of hundreds of GOP leaders who will vote for Hillary is astonishing. Clinton is even being advised by former GOP president's chief of staff and security advisors. So does this tell us ordinary people are not privy to inside information how very dangerous Trump is? He's already leaking sensitive security briefing. Have any of you supporters of him read that he contributed 10000's of dollars to the Clinton foundation and to her and Bill's campaigns? On video he says she is one of the best SOS ever and Bill Clinton was a great president. Never mind Trump's shady past businesses leaving creditors owed millions, never paying bills to his little workers,His fraudulent Trump university, his three marriages , two to immigrants, and the current Mrs .Trump posing naked in lesbian shoots. Nice first lady , huh? Remember how the right was upset over Michelle baring her toned armns in a sleeveless dress? Try many full frontal pictires of your new first lady.

Trump was pro-choice, loved PP, was for partial birth abortions, and he was FOR the war in Iraq despite what he said the other night. He blabbed so much over the years but there are tons of videos and audios around Donnie boy. His kids are no better. Lawsuits on the first three and little Donny JR tweeted yesterday that Clinton was wearing an earpiece on CIC forum. A LIE perpetrated by the crack pot Alex Jones. Pure lies and fabrications from an unhinged campaign. Desperation sucks big time. .

Pawprint thanked lily316
  • wanda_va
    7 years ago

tibbrix, I have made no accusations beyond that which is public information provided by the media. I have had no part in the investigations into Hillary's actions. As an American citizen and a taxpayer, I believe I have the right to express my opinions. I have, in this case as always, been cordial and not made accusations or unkind comments directed to any other member of the KT. I have been a member here since 1998, and consider this to be my "home"...and the people here are my friends...so I am comfortable sharing my views (for what they are worth--which is probably nothing). I am sorry that you decided to turn a polite and informative discussion into a more hostile one.

For the record, I worked for Bill Clinton early in his presidency, so my opinions of him and his wife are based, in large part, on personal experiences with their governing style.

Pawprint thanked wanda_va
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

Hold it a second, Wanda. You came in here saying an email from Hillary Clinton caused the execution of another human being. For one thing, I am not sure how saying such a thing is not hostile. To me it is a very hostile accusation against another human being.

Second, again, that was not an opinion. You cannot say, I"t my opinion that an email caused a person to be executed. It either did or it didn't. Your working for Bill Clinton early on in his presidency would have no bearing on whether an email from Hillary Clinton caused another person to be executed.

As well, it is not hostile to correct the record, which is all I did, including providing evidence for you so that you would stand corrected. It IS in fact reckless and dangerous to repeat falsehoods, especially when they are meant to destroy another person, as that one was by whomever started it. It is, in fact, the responsible thing to do, and that is what I did.

What would be not hostile and responsible would have been for you to respond by saying, "I stand corrected", but instead your last comment suggests that, somehow because you had some connection to the Clinton Admin., you know she sent an email with his name and that it caused him to be executed, even though you say you are simply repeating what you heard in the media.

so again, I linked you to responsible media with the actual story. This matter was never a matter of opinion. It was a matter of fact, and you spread a terrible reckless, and slanderous story and accusation against another persons. I merely corrected it.

Pawprint thanked tibbrix
  • tibbrix
    7 years ago

"olliesmom

tibbrix, is it false that Bill Clinton met with AG Loretta Lynch on the tarmac? And you think that was coincidental?"

No, and neither has denied doing so.

So bad analogy.

but the "HRC email caused a scientist to be executed IS false."

What people are likening the tarmac meeting to is the Bondi matter, but it is not the same. Show us where the Clintons donated 25,000 dollars to Lynch followed by a dropping of a case.

In addition, it was NOT Lynch's decision to make, whether to bring charges against HRC or not. It was Comey's, and Comey said no charges would be brought. Lynch had his decision before this meeting.

Whereas, it WAS Pam Bondi's decision to join the suit against Trump U. or not.

Bad analogy all the way around. It doesn't surprise me at all that a president had a conversation with a past close colleague.

Pawprint thanked tibbrix
  • Vertise
    7 years ago

This is not the Hot Topics Forum.

How about at least respecting the OP and their intent for this thread instead of degrading the discussion:

'First, I don't want this to be a hot topic nor a political debate. Just a question.

Does anyone know why Hillary used her own private email server (regarding all this email scandal)?

Were there alternatives she should have been using or was it never a big deal before now?

I will “not” entertain any political debate here or bashing of either presidential candidate, let’s reserve that for the real “hot topic” forum.'

Pawprint thanked Vertise
  • lily316
    7 years ago

This should continue over at HT. Believe me, there are enough threads going.

Pawprint thanked lily316
  • wanda_va
    7 years ago

I changed my statement regarding the Iranian scientist, to make peace.

Pawprint thanked wanda_va
  • mare_wbpa
    7 years ago

I'm not very political. I can't understand why this country couldn't find better candidates than the ones we have. For me it boils down to: do I want to vote for a crook, or a crook who is also an idiot.

Pawprint thanked mare_wbpa
  • lily316
    7 years ago

Pick the smarter one. A no brainer.

Pawprint thanked lily316
  • Texas_Gem
    7 years ago

Mare- I suggest looking at Jill Stein or Gary Johnson. There is no rule that states you must vote for one of the two major candidates.

If more people would be willing to actually vote for a third party candidate, we might be able to finally break away from this 2 party system and choosing "the less of two evils" which, by the way, is still evil.

Pawprint thanked Texas_Gem
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

There will always be a two party system. Always. Which parties might change, but the system we have promotes and protects the two party way

Pawprint thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • lily316
    7 years ago

Gary Johnson bumbled a question yesterday which will make his campaign very difficult. It's throwing your vote away. Believe me I did it once and always regretted it.

Pawprint thanked lily316
  • Alisande
    7 years ago

Mare- I suggest looking at Jill Stein or Gary Johnson. There is no rule that states you must vote for one of the two major candidates.

IMO, this election is no time for a protest vote. A vote for Stein or Johnson is a vote for Trump.

Pawprint thanked Alisande
  • Texas_Gem
    7 years ago

The only votes thrown away are those not cast.

I sincerely believe that the people who argue against a third party are either committed to a candidate and are afraid that vote will equate to a vote for the opposition or they truly don't feel that change is possible and have consigned themselves to a "lesser evil" stand point.

Alisande- it is not a protest vote, it's a conscientious one and from everything the media and most others say, Hillary is basically guaranteed so why should my vote matter to you anyway? Isn't HRC at a 82% likelihood of being elected?

I won't be swayed by that and, moreover, it really isn't the point. I will NEVER and have never voted for someone as a means of voting against another and I'm not about to start now.

Pawprint thanked Texas_Gem
  • sephia_wa
    7 years ago

I agree with Alisande. Voting for the 3rd party may be great and fine for your conscience, but it's essentially a 'give away' vote, because not enough people are going to vote for them to get them into office. I don't like either Hillary or Trump, but I'm thinking about the Supreme Court justices they are going to put on the bench. Will those justices be people whose decisions I will agree with and respect? Trump or Hillary may only be president for 4 years, but their Supreme Court choices will last for years.

Pawprint thanked sephia_wa
  • Chi
    7 years ago

I agree that third party votes are a waste, especially in swing states. Texas, and California, where I am, luckily don't matter as much since they are so heavily Republican and Democrat, and it would be shocking to see that change. It's so frustrating when the votes are really close. But I also think people should be able to prove basic competency in the candidates and the political process to be able to vote, and that's not going to happen.

Pawprint thanked Chi
  • rob333 (zone 7b)
    7 years ago

TX gem, those "arguing against" a third party may have a baccalaureate degree in political science. Now, I'm not saying that third party won't become a major party, but there will never be more than two major parties at one time. Shifts do happen. I don't care for either candidate, but no way I'd vote for someone who isn't a republican or democrat this go around. Even if I have to vote against rather than for a candidate.

Pawprint thanked rob333 (zone 7b)
  • chisue
    7 years ago

What is Trump's admiration for Putin all about?

Trump's early campaign manager, Paul Manafort, was paid twelve million dollars to help re-elect Ukranian President Yanokovych -- in one of the most corrupt countries on earth. Notes attached to the payments to Manafort said his services were for"'sociology". Another was for a thirty thousand dollar project called "Rumors". The money was transferred in cash, illegal and untraceable. (See: The New Yorker magazine, Sept. 5, "Letter from Kiev: After the Revolutions".)

Nice company Trump keeps.

Pawprint thanked chisue
  • lily316
    7 years ago

A vote for a third party ensures a Trump presidency. If that's what you want...The Libertarian guy didn't know 'what' Aleppo was. If you hate the two candidates, better to leave that part blank and vote down ballot.

Pawprint thanked lily316
  • User
    7 years ago

Pawprint thanked User
  • graywings123
    7 years ago

Pawprint thanked graywings123
  • User
    7 years ago

Trump has very simplistic thinking. If you say nice things about him, he likes you. If you say not nice things about him, he attacks you. That's a narcissist for you. He thinks Putin called him brilliant, but in reality he meant Trump was colorful or flamboyant. It got lost in translation.

Pawprint thanked User
  • mare_wbpa
    7 years ago

I agree that a vote for Johnson or Stein is a vote for Trump. We have more than 2 parties in theory only. The Aleppo gaff by Johnson was a death knell for him as far as I'm concerned. I don't think Trump wants to be POTUS. He wants to be a dictator like his pal Putin.

Pawprint thanked mare_wbpa
  • Annie Deighnaugh
    7 years ago

What is Trump's admiration for Putin all about?

Who knows for sure, but it probably has to do with his business involvements with russian oligarchs.

From WaPo:

There is strong evidence that Trump’s businesses have received significant funding from Russian investors. Most notably, Trump’s son Donald Trump Jr. made that very claim at a real estate conference in New York in 2008, saying “Russians make up a pretty disproportionate cross-section of a lot of our assets.” Donald Trump Jr. added, “we see a lot of money pouring in from Russia.”

Trump also made millions when he agreed to bring the Miss Universe pageant to Moscow in 2013, a deal financed in part by the development company of a Russian billionaire Aras Agalarov. Agalarov is a Putin ally who is sometimes called the “Trump of Russia” because of his tendency to put his own name on his buildings. At the time, Trump mingled with the Russian business elite at a swanky after-party. “Almost all of the oligarchs were in the room,” Trump bragged on returning home.

As a sign of the importance of Russian investors, partners of one of Trump’s projects then under construction in Panama visited Moscow to sell condos at the building in 2006.

Trump also made significant money from one Russian oligarch in 2008, when he sold a mansion in Palm Beach for $95 million to Russian billionaire Dmitry Rybolovlev. Trump had bought the home at a bankruptcy auction less than four years earlier for $41.4 million.

Pawprint thanked Annie Deighnaugh