SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
bpath

My insurance rant of the day--long

bpath
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I'm always careful to separate my ire against health insurers from my health care providers, but today they collided. Here's what happened.

I haven't been to the doctor in a while, but made an appointment for a physical. I went today. When I presented my insurance card, they said oh, we are now out of network for this plan. I excused myself and called the insurance company to see what my coverage would be. It would be Zero. No copay, no coverage, and it goes against the out-of-network deductible which is really, really high.

I go back to the desk and explain, and ask for help in determining if I can afford the appointment out of pocket. They tell me it could be a range. I ask, what range, between. $200 and $600? Or between $200 and $1500? They can't tell me. REALLY? Well, because the doctor doesn't know what she's going to do or what tests and blood work she's going to order.

Im thinking that's BS, because I KNOW that with insurance companies all costs are pre-determined.

They bring out the office manager. She tells me the same thing. Oh, and in the meantime, I have missed my appointment.

We talk about insurance and how the medical group that this practice is part of, has pulled out of several insurance plans, and will probably pull out of a couple more, and a couple of others have or are going out of business. One of the ones they will probably stay with is good, but has even higher premiums than our current plan.

I absolutely, positively, don't believe that they can't tell me how much it's going to cost to have 10 minutes with the doctor, 10 minutes with the CNA, check BP, pulse, and temp, and call in a refill on my med.

In the end, they said the doctor would see me, code it as an office visit, not a physical, I got my refill, and tomorrow I have to look for either a new provider or new insurance. But, now that health insurance companies don't pay commissions to agents, who's going to help maneuver through the morass?

oh, meanwhile, they are going to bill e insurance company even though it's not covered. So, we will go through several weeks of "this is not a bill" and the insurance company sending it back and the practice finally billing me for the full amount, and I still don't know what it will be.

I'm so frustrated, no wonder my BP was 40 points higher than normal!

i hate everything about the medical payment system developments of the past 30 years. It has less to do with ACA and more to do with the whole downward slide.

Comments (68)