SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
laharlson

Would love some advice on my upcoming kitchen reno

Anna H
7 years ago

My kitchen is dated...1998 to be exact and for our 25th anniversary we are doing some major (needed) renovations for our exterior and interior.

I am going to post photos of the plans and the kitchen as it existed back when I was much younger (cough...my ideas of decorating have changed).

I'd love some thoughts on whether to leave my L-shaped island (peninsula?) as is but get rid of the bar height or if I should go with a 5' x 8' rectangular island or something similar. I have a 6" x 6" structural post that cannot be moved although I would like to wrap it in another material.

I would like to maximize my storage whatever configuration I choose. Unless there is something considerably wrong with the layout of my work zones, the appliances and sink would probably remain in the same locations (except the microwave). We do use the island for prep work even though there is no prep sink and I would prefer not to bust concrete to add a prep sink. I do most of the cooking, hubby does some of the prep work and we have no children.

Currently I have 3 huge, tall bar stools on each leg of the island and will be doing away with the seating on the dining room side. I want to go with standard height seating on the great room side, getting rid of the bar height.

I want stainless appliances, off-white (warm) cabinets that go to the ceiling (after I remove the popcorn finish), quartz countertops, wood or bamboo floors, stainless farmhouse sink and a backsplash (I've never had one). I would love to add an appliance garage for my stand mixer and espresso machine as well make sure I have a cabinet to house my garbage can. I also want real lazy susans. We are keeping the tongue and groove white juniper in the dining room and great room.

It's not the biggest kitchen in the world so I don't really know if I have room to do everything I want with regard to a microwave drawer, appliance garage and garbage can cabinet. And I really don't know how to address the structural post. The laminate countertops never really looked good around the post and there were always unsightly seams.

I feel like I don't know how to approach this renovation so any advice would be appreciated.

Comments (33)

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

One step at a time. What will be your biggest investment? Probably the cabinets. You have to decide whether you want that dust shelf that you currently have, or have the uppers go closer to the ceiling and then add crown molding to dress it a bit. Think about a cookie jar display cabinet with glass and lighting.

Consider your lighting. I don't see anything in the plans about that. Undercabinet? Other task lights?

Lots of options on backsplash: something that 'matches' the counters; something that coordinates with the floor; go up 4 inches; go all the way up to the cabinets.

Stand in the middle of the kitchen and decide if you really want/need a baking station. A coffee station? (I drink decaf and the missus does that other stuff - 2 grinders and 2 pots with cups and coffee and tea bags above.) If you don't really use the stand mixer more than once a week, consider putting it in your pantry. Same with a blender or any other counter appliance. How often do you use them. Make your decision based on use, not looks.

Anna H thanked jim_1 (Zone 5B)
  • Anna H
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I should add that these photos are not current, but ones from many, many years ago. The cookie jars are gone but there is still a "dust shelf" and I definitely want the cabinets to go up to the ceiling when we remodel.

I'm sure the cabinets will be the biggest expense. We had these cabinets made when we built in 1998 but the finish did not hold up. Of course it has been 18 years...

I don't think we have many cabinet makers local. We have some kitchen design places as well as the big box stores here in the panhandle of Florida. I've been reading up on some of the brands out there here on GW: Kraftmaid, Durasupreme, Barker. Doesn't look like Durasupreme or Barker are sold anywhere near where I live.

Your point is valid regarding the stand mixer. It doesn't get used even once a week so that should probably find a home in a cabinet. The espresso machine gets used every morning and sits on the island/peninsula.

• Related Discussions

Would love to see some window treatment pictures & get advice!

Q

Comments (26)
    Francoise47 - I LOVE Tinker's kitchen. Drool! Those look so nice and simple yet elegant in her kitchen but yes I agree about cleaning them. I don't think I'm willing to do that. I also don't find blinds to be all that user-friendly. Things always seem to go wrong with me and blinds! CEFreeman - I don't see the Lowe's link (?) but I can google it now that I know the location, thanks! I think a valance would block too much light, but the strip of horizontal wall color just above the windows acts sort of like a valance-of-sorts actually! The paint color is Benjamin Moore's Fieldstone a.k.a. Fieldstone gray. Thanks! Lake Girl - thanks for the positive feedback and sorry I didn't see (or don't remember) an old link in which you asked about the tile. I wanted something that was white and cheerful though had a little bit of gray and tan in it so I could warm up the coldness of the stainless countertop (and so I could have both warm or cool colors in the kitchen in general). Hence, calacatta. It was a PITA (although at times sorta fun) and here's what I did: I bought 12" x 12" pieces of calacatta marble from a local stone and tile business. I then called around and found a good fabricator to hone and cut the tile into 2x6" pieces. THEN I pulled out all pieces that were either too dark or busy or too plain white (although I did throw in the occasional plain white piece here and there to keep the backsplash from being too busy looking) and then I had what was left installed! OY! Not quite as easy as stopping by Lowe's, eh?! :: Funny thing was, when the guy was done installing the tile, there was almost no pieces (of the good stuff) left! So it turns out that I ordered the exact right amount since wasting the other pieces couldn't be helped. I can no longer remember the grout color but if you google my name along with the name gardenweb and type in something about grout color, it might pop up. I'm not crazy about the light gray color and wish I'd gone with white but oh well. I don't dislike it that much. I wonder if I could sell the left over pieces. I don't think anyone else would want gaudy pieces either though - especially in those less common dimensions. Thank you!
    ...See More

I would LOVE some glass backsplash advice :)

Q

Comments (32)
    Hi again Kat_wa. Here's a pic of the almost complete kitchen with our backsplash. It wasn't quite what I wanted originally (creme colored) but to be honest, I just got tired of the whole project and couldn't find a glass tile with a lot of warmth in it. The glass tiles have most of the granite colors in them and the craziness of it seems to tie in with how busy the granite is. (The granite always looks more gold than it is in pictures...probably because the blinds are closed or you'd be blinded by the ton of light we get in!). We both really like it now though. lol Thanks again for asking :)
    ...See More

Would love some backsplash advice :)

Q

Comments (3)
    I wouldn't wrap the tile, even with the counter. Are you getting rid of the telephone jack? Great chance to get rid of something unsightly. i love your ceiling, keep us posted!
    ...See More

1983 Kitchen...would love some advice please to start my planning

Q

Comments (25)
    This post and photos were from the previous owner, before we actually moved in...we have now been in for about 5 weeks. Making a few changes elsewhere first and now on to planning out the kitchen. After living here and feeling things out, the closed off kitchen doesn't feel so bad. I have a dilemma now that I am going back and forth on, to open up the kitchen to the back den or leave it with same footprint and remodel it. One pro for leaving footprint is that the kitchen is not a pass thru for grandkids to run back and forth, con is that means I can't pass thru either. I need to make decisions because we are adding more hardwood flooring and if we open up the kitchen it changes things. Does using the same footprint really make a big difference in cost, time, etc of the remodel? Last kitchen I did, I gutted and changed entire layout, part of me just wants to keep things simple and stay true to the original design. Not spend the money and time making huge changes. I guess being a little older now, the big kitchen remodel isn't as exciting as it was the last time. Of course I want it to be beautiful and functional but simple as well. Thanks for any advice
    ...See More
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

Would you consider putting up a header to get rid of the pole?

Anna H thanked cpartist
  • Anna H
    Original Author
    7 years ago

The whole area is open, 20' plus cathedral ceiling. This house was modeled after a log cabin. The post is holding a laminated beam which supports the floor joists for the loft overlooking the dining and great rooms. The only way to get rid of the post would be to extend the laminated beam the post is supporting to another load bearing wall which would kill the open air of my cathedral ceiling. If there is another option, it's one I don't know about and I'm open to suggestions.

• Anna H
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lily'smom - I want to lower both sides to counter level. Is staying with the L-shaped island a better choice than a rectangular island?

I have difficulty reaching all my pots and pans in the corner area by the range. What else can be done here? I'm very interested in making that area more functional. The back wall of the kitchen is 14' long.

I do plan on keeping my pantry cabinet area. It has been very functional for me. I'm sure there are better designs for the pantry area than the one we currently have.

I do plan to have seating at the island on the great room side but I'm getting rid of the seating on the dining room side. By shallow cabinets, you mean something like 12" depth base cabinets to back up against the 24" cabinets with the current L configuration?

We really do use the microwave a lot for leftovers. I don't want to give up counter space for it and I wonder if the drawer is the way to go. The more I read the more I don't know. LOL.

Right now I have a garbage can that sits against the end of the island directly across from the dishwasher. When the door of the dishwasher is down, it's a very tight fit with the garbage can there and definitely not a 42" walkway with the garbage can there. That's why I want to figure out another place for the garbage can.

I asked hubby about the post and why we did what we did since I can't remember that far back. That post also helps hold the load of the second floor post which holds up part of the roof. I absolutely didn't want beams spanning through my open air cathedral ceiling and this was the way the structural engineer at the truss company was able to make it work with my demands. I don't have a problem with the post personally. I just want it to look better when we do the remodel. I think wrapping it with material that looks like the cabinets and trimming it out should work.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Anna H., how do feel about adding a prep sink--definitely not an option? You have a good basic layout, but not enough prep space between the sink and range, IMO, so adding a prep sink on the island would give you space to spread out:

Access to plumbing for the prep sink could be through a door under the seating overhang. The space now taken by seating on the DR side could become shallow cabinet storage for small appliances, with a mixer lift under the prep counter for the heavy mixer. (I keep mine out on the perimeter counter because I use it often, but I wouldn't want out on the island counter.) An alternative would be to keep the mixer on a roll-out cart in the pantry, and use some of the shallow storage on the DR side as pantry storage.

With a corner prep sink, you'd have a choice of prepping on either side--toward the DR, or toward someone seated on the great room side, and you'd have extra prep spaces for helpers. A helper could also be loading or unloading the DW while you are prepping or cooking. Dishes can be kept in the uppers beside the window (I assume that's where they are currently kept), or in the drawers beside the clean-up sink.

I would definitely use all drawer bases, but as I said above, you have a good layout. If going through the slab for the plumbing is absolutely not an option, then maybe the extra storage on the DR side will help with small appliances.

Anna H thanked mama goose_gw zn6OH
  • Anna H
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thank you for your comments mama goose. I'd be happy with a prep sink but I'm not sure I can convince my husband of the necessity, especially if it involves busting concrete...maybe???. More prep space would be nice between the sink and range. If he says absolutely no way to the prep sink, is a feasible alternative to move the range over some or to the wall the refrigerator is on or is the space too tight?

The only concern I have about a prep sink where you placed it is the few times we have done a large gathering we place the food on the island like a buffet and people file through and the sink would be in the way of that; however, those times are few and far between. Of course flattening out the island from the two levels will add, I feel, more functionality of the island.

The trash pullout you show is exactly where I want it. The mixer could be moved to a small cart and kept in the hall closet.

When you say you would use all drawer bases, do you mean where ALL the base cabinets are or just in the island? I guess I really need to start looking at what cabinet/drawer options there are these days. My dishes are actually in the cabinets by the refrigerator.

• caligirl5
    7 years ago

I like the rectangle island. I think it would be more convenient for prep since it will be closer to the sink and range.

Anna H thanked caligirl5
  • mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

Corner sinks and appliances aren't very popular here, but I love sena's idea of a corner range to increase the prep space.

If you do a prep sink and use a positive reveal (so that the sink edge is like a ledge) you can get a cutting board that exactly fits the space, and temporarily return the sink to counter space. The faucet would be the only obstacle. This is circuspeanut's former kitchen prep sink:

The water is running in this pic!

GW discussions--all drawer bases

• Anna H
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I like the idea of the corner range a lot. That may solve the issue entirely. So the island in your mock-up is approx. 52" x 90"? It's completely away from the post so that is something I had not thought of. I like this layout a lot. I've had the L-shape for so long it was hard for me to see what a rectangle would look like.

• sena01
    7 years ago

So the island in your mock-up is approx. 52" x 90"?

Yes.

I'd leave a 48" aisle (from counter edge to counter edge) b/w the sink counter and the island. That way two cooks can comfortably work at the same time on this aisle.

One sink maybe enough for the 2 of you, but if you decide to sell the house one day a prep sink on the island may be an attraction for a larger family. If you decide to have a prep sink on the island I'd have the trash on the island as well, since usually more trash is produced during prep than cleanup.

• new-beginning
    7 years ago

"When you say you would use all drawer bases, do you mean where ALL the base cabinets are or just in the island?" Yes, most or all of the lower cabinets should be drawers for convenience - you can pull the drawer open and find everything - no more getting down on the floor and digging around at the back.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

How about something like this?

This gives you a lot more room for prepping and your DH can prep on the island to help you. The fridge is now on the edge of the kitchen so more convenient to anyone trying to get something.

The bookshelves can be for books or knick knacks, etc. You can make them as low or tall as you like. You can even make them like an open room divider with shelves.

A drawer microwave in the island is a great thing to have.

I moved your stove and fridge, but your sink and DW are in the exact same spot.

Anna H thanked cpartist
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

Oh because the kitchen now encroaches on your dining room, if you do a banquet seat along the back wall, you'll still have plenty of room for seating.

• Anna H
    Original Author
    7 years ago

cpartist - Your approach is completely out of the box and one I would have never seen. I like it, too. Thank you very much!

Let me ask you a few questions if you don't mind.

1. My current refrigerator is about 36" wide and 30.5" deep and I will be replacing it but don't know what dimensions fridges are running these days. I don't want it to jut out so far from the cabinet bases which is why we did our current framing around the fridge with the recessed wall behind it. Is there any way to accomplish this effect since I won't have the recessed wall like I currently do? Maybe deeper base cabinets/drawers? I'm not sure what is or isn't available in this regard.

2. If I decided not to encroach on the dining room and shifted everything down (making the window wider) and moved the range to the current fridge location, would that also suffice? I know it would as far as ice-water-stone-fire goes, but what about the spacing and work zone area needed?

3. If I did move the refrigerator to the new location, what is your vision from your drawing above about how far the refrigerator is from the island? 4 feet?

I'm starting to get excited about everyone's ideas. I've been wanting to change my kitchen for so long.

• Anna H
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm just really amazed at how kitchens seem to have changed from when we built in 1998. The whole drawer thing is so foreign to me but makes so much sense now that I have read a few threads. I imagine that drawers are way more costly than regular cabinets but the functionality makes them worth it.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

I really like cpartist's plan, too, but at 12'4" (or is that 12'8"?)
    I'm not sure you have space for the island and a bookshelf, especially
    with a 30" deep fridge on the top wall. 148" - 30" fridge - 48" aisle -
    42" island = 28" for seating. If you made the aisle 42" you could have
    34" for seating.

You could use a counter-depth fridge to save a
    few inches, but that limits space inside the fridge. I love the idea of
    pulling the counters/base cabinets out to match the depth of the fridge (did that in
    my own kitchen), but that leaves you less space in the aisle, too.I
    like the idea of moving the sink and DW over, and making the window
    wider, and if you center the range on the recessed area where the fridge
    currently sits, you could build in a shelf to utilize the recess. (BTW, bravo for recessing the fridge when you built!) That
    would increase the prep space, but it would mean that the pantry would
    be a little narrower. The perimeter would look like this:

I
    like the orientation of sena's and cpa's islands, but you could also
    turn the island 90°, and have seating on two sides. It seems that you'll
    be giving up a lot of storage space from the L island, though.

• Anna H
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Lily'smom - The bump out/recessed area for the refrigerator was my idea back when we built the house. I asked our house plan designer to incorporate that into our plans and we framed the house ourselves so it was a nonissue.

I'm not really sure about an appliance garage right now. In a perfect world I would love to have everything (including a bigger kitchen).

I could have a drawer for small appliances like my toaster. That only leaves the stand mixer and my espresso machine and grinder. The mixer doesn't get used all that often so maybe putting it away until needed is the best option. It is heavy for sure. T

he only appliance that I need daily access to is my espresso machine and grinder. We use that everyday. It's stainless so it will blend well on the countertop with all the other stainless appliances. I'm just not sure if it's worth giving up the pantry space since I love to coupon when I have the time and often buy multiples of items when they are on sale. We do have storage in other areas of the house for multiple items as well.

I'm open to the L-shaped island or rectangular island. What is important to me is that I get the biggest bang for my buck. I'm just not experienced enough to know what that is.

I absolutely wouldn't mind making a bigger investment for the right functionality. We are at the stage where we can afford to do this in a much better way than we could in our 20s.

A larger window and larger sink intrigue me. I'm off to look at that sink. I have about 70 different pages open right now. LOL.

All this discussion has motivated me to start looking at my storage and it's time to get rid of some things that I haven't used in years. That also should help me reevaluate my space.

Thanks again.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Hi Anna. I'm glad you like my thinking. I personally love an L shaped kitchen with an island. I feel they are most conducive to having multiple people working in it the same time.

1. My current refrigerator is about 36" wide and 30.5" deep and I will be replacing it but don't know what dimensions fridges are running these days. I don't want it to jut out so far from the cabinet bases which is why we did our current framing around the fridge with the recessed wall behind it. Is there any way to accomplish this effect since I won't have the recessed wall like I currently do? Maybe deeper base cabinets/drawers? I'm not sure what is or isn't available in this regard.

You can get a counter depth refrigerator that is 36" wide. Just the doors will stick out. They are a little bit more than a standard refrigerator but not too cost prohibitive. Check out AJ Madison to see what's available.

I wouldn't suggest deeper base cabinets. I would do a 39" wide island at most. That gives you 42" behind your seating and 45" between your perimeter and your island. A bit tight but doable. I wouldn't go narrower though.

2. If I decided not to encroach on the dining room and shifted everything down (making the window wider) and moved the range to the current fridge location, would that also suffice?

Absolutely. Right now you have 14'. So assuming your 36" wide fridge, and your 24" wide DW and a 33" wide sink, and with side panels that still leaves you with about 68" to the wall, or 43" just to the corner. And that doesn't include the space to the left of the stove.

3. If I did move the refrigerator to the new location, what is your vision from your drawing above about how far the refrigerator is from the island? 4 feet?

45" but that doesn't take into account the handles. It is definitely doable. My sister's space is 44" and both of us can get by one another. (And I'm not that narrow, lol)

• cpartist
    7 years ago

Personally I don't think you could go wrong with either mine or mama's version. (no surprise there. It's an inside joke between mama and me. LOL.)

I like what mama did and maybe then you could just dress up the pole in some way.

Or here's my version where I move everything down to keep it within the same boundaries but expand the window.

Either way, I would absolutely give up something like the garage for drawers. I put drawers on the advice from here into my condo kitchen 6 years ago and I am now a huge convert. We sold the condo and are building a house, and I handed the KD my plans (which were vetted here) and let him know that I expect all drawers. LOL. (I find out on Thursday if he listened to me.)

• Anna H
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks everyone. I have spent some time analyzing my current situation and the proposed layouts that all of you so kindly offered. It seems that there are pros and cons to all scenarios and no clear cut best answer.

1. Keeping my current layout would provide the maximum amount of storage but I would still have a compromised prep area between the sink and range. I would take away the bar height and have a single level countertop for the whole configuration.

2. Sena's layout includes a 52" x 90" rectangular island instead of the L-shape and proposed moving the range to the corner. The benefit here is that I gain prep area between the sink and stove. I do lose some of my original storage with the range in the corner and the island change.

3. cpartist proposed moving the refrigerator to the far left top wall with dishwasher next to the fridge, sink next to the dishwasher, widened window and moving the stove to where the refrigerator currently is. I would have to use a counter-depth refrigerator if I don't want it sticking out so far and I'm not sure of the exact island dimension proposal but it was 39" x ??". I would definitely gain more prep space between the sink and stove but I feel like I would be losing a lot of island. I would also lose some storage in the refrigerator over having a refrigerator in my recessed area and the pantry would not be as deep.

4. mamagoose proposed using cpartist's idea for the appliances but turning the island 90 degrees. The reason I resisted seating on the dining room side was because we have our dining room table for seating and it feels like island seating in that area would be redundant. The island in this configuration though is 42" x 72".

I do love the look of rectangular islands and I think they are timeless. I'm not sure the L-shaped island is as appealing as it once was to me but it does seem like I can get more storage that way. I gather that most of you feel that my current L was too big to begin with? I'm worried that my kitchen is going to come off appearing smaller than it truly is if the island is small and a lot of the storage is gone.

So that is my dilemma right now. It is a lot to process and I thank you for all the valuable info.

Am I correct that there is just not one best answer?

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

There is a best answer for you. We all toss out ideas, hoping that you can use some of them to decide what works best for your cooking style and in your home. No one is offended if you prefer one idea over another--we want you to have the most functional kitchen possible.

• jim_1 (Zone 5B)
    7 years ago

We just completed the renovation of our kitchen. The house was built in 1982 and was designed for the old farts that live in our 55+ community.

The pantry just didn't work for us.

We now have custom cabinets with adjustable shelves on top and drawers on the bottom. Same amount of space left to right, but a lot more usable space!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

In my first version the island would be 102" long and in my revised version the island would be 78" long.

I don't consider a 6' long island small and certainly don't consider an 8' long island small.

As for storage, once you switch to drawers, you'll find you need less because the drawers actually hold a boat load more.

And as Mama said, it ultimately is your decision.

• Anna H
    Original Author
    7 years ago

So I've still been contemplating all my options and ultimately had to prioritize what each of the options offered me. I think DH and I feel that having something in the corner will be the best compromise for our kitchen.

sena01 showed what a range in the corner would look like and I think that would pair well with having a dedicated range hood. I know I would lose 48" along each wall with this configuration.

Then I saw some photos of a corner sink and was curious if that would be a better corner situation for my kitchen. It looks like I could use a 42" corner cabinet base and still get a 30" sink although I saw some posts that seemed to indicate that a 30" would not fit. Would my sink choices be limited with the 42"? I wanted an apron front farmhouse style sink.

I know that corner appliances/sinks are not always considered the best situation but are there any obvious advantages of a corner range over a corner sink or vice versa?

I have spoken with a KD and although she recommended the sink and DW in the island and not a corner appliance or corner sink, I think she will ultimately design what we want. She has Shiloh and Aspect cabinets and I was glad to find someone fairly local who has these brands.

Thanks to everyone who gave me such good advice to contemplate.

• mama goose_gw zn6OH
    7 years ago

I like a corner sink when there are windows on each side on the corner, especially with a pretty view--not so much if there are solid walls.

Where would you put the range and fridge? As drawn in cpartist's plan, with a little fine tuning?

• Sam Marcus
    7 years ago

First I think you need to analyze which parts of the kitchen are you willing to sacrifice to create your new kitchen then choose what design or theme you want. Then my suggestions for your hanging cabinets is to remove the covers to make it more open and spacious but if you have pets like cats then keep the cover but re-paint or varnish it. Use more lighter color to create a wider kitchen then just decide if you want your L-shaped peninsula to be accent then use a different color for it.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County