SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kellyrl

Help Choosing Backsplash Pattern

Kelly Lemay
7 years ago

Hi there,

I need some opinions on a pattern for my backsplash. My other materials do not provide much of a focal point - I'm doing shaker cabinets in 2 tones - white and espresso stain, and my quartz is white with a very subtle texture to it. So I think I can be creative with my backsplash and make it eye-catching. I want to use a combination of these tiles: a light sage green ceramic field tile and a handpainted glass mini-subway tile which has light greens and blues. It is called reflections by Rocky Point Tile, but any photos you find online do not represent the color at all. Here's a photo I took, but the blues are not really so dark and it looks greener in person.

So, for some reason I do not really like the look of one band of decorative tile with the field tile above and below. So instead I have been playing around with patterns on my computer (using a scale which I believe approximates how much will fit on the 18 inch-tall backsplash). By the way, it will not go above 18 inches at any place in the kitchen.

Here's one pattern using 3 x 6 green tiles and two rows of mini subways. With the 3 little strips of mini subways, each of these rows is about 2 inches wide. (The color here is not right at all).

One nice thing about this is that the outlets can be centered on the wall and not interrupt the pattern.

Here's the other one I'm thinking about, with one skinny strip in between each 4 x 8 green tile. Different, but I like it.

Opinions, please!!! Also, I can't find pictures like these anywhere in real kitchens, so please share if you have something similar or a different idea.

Thanks!

Comments (17)