SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
am_e

Anyone want to help me choose a backsplash?

Am E
7 years ago

I’m fairly design challenged, and would really appreciate
some input on backsplash selection. You can see my original tile selection in the pics
below. I’ve had that tile sample since the beginning when making all of my
selections.

I’m just fishing for more ideas and opinions here. I have a decent
choice, but would love to see more options suggested by people who are better
at aesthetic choices than I am:) The tile I have was suggested by a designer
that’s been helping me. I like it, but am wondering if there is another option
out there that I would really love.

The house is a timber frame, and has a rustic/farmhouse
style (and is almost ready to move in!). As you can see, the kitchen cabinets
are painted; white uppers, and blue/green lowers. The counters are soapstone.

Anyone want to give me free
design advice and have tile or other suggestions? I appreciate the help!

design rendering:

As built kitchen:

Comments (56)

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago

another option would be to do a square white rather than rectangular but do it in the running bond pattern. That was our other choice and I still have boxes of them in the basement if you want to drive over and get them :)

• eam44
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

What a beautiful space. I love the soapstone behind the range too. I think your bs tile could use a little texture.

This is glazed thin brick from Fireclay Tile in Cotton (satin) and Snow (gloss) and a bs that mixes both with colorful lower cabinets. The look is subtle, but interesting and could be very pretty in your space. I also love mixing the whites, as opposed to finding the best white to go with your uppers. It frees you from matchy-matchy concerns.

I don't think your soapstone limits you to a monotone bs. Your stone isn't highly veined. You can choose almost anything you like.

• Related Discussions

Backsplash...please help me choose!

Q

Comments (12)
    Thank you so much, everyone, for weighing in with your opinions. I am definitely not good at this sort of thing, and have a horrible time picturing how it will all look in the end. It's nice to have other expert advice! Initially, I was very excited about the travertine. The sample I have is nice, but I am definitely concerned that it might blend in too much with the cabinets and not give that 'wow factor' that I'm hoping for. I've always been drawn to slate, but as rhome said, I really want the kitchen to have a warm and friendly feeling. I tried to balance the warmth of all of the woods with the coolness of the dark grey Basalt Slate countertops. I guess it would be nice if the backsplash could bring everything together. Slate usually reads very cool to me. However, I really like the visual interest of the Falling Water pattern, and it seems to have some warm colors. I'm waiting on a sample of the 'Earth' color pictured above, and this one, called 'Prairie'. Remodelfa, how do you always find the coolest tiles? :) I really like those Java Sticks and the irregular edges. It also has the warmth I'm looking for. Another possibility added to the mix! So now, how in the world do I choose?
    ...See More

Help me choose Pendant lighting! Backsplash ideas also needed!

Q

Comments (16)
    Thanks for the suggestions! I will be getting my Vetro B/S sample today (there was a mix up with the supplier.) I really hope I like it because I am really getting kitchen reno fatigue and don't want to keep searching for the right B/S. It's been chaos juggling work, kids and dragging my kids to endless trips to Home Depot, granite, lighting, etc. stores!! Fortunately, we have a much needed vacation next week! The discus pendant is nice, but at 10" in diameter, I think a bit big for my kitchen. Any other ideas? I have no clue what I even like in pendants?? I am considering a brushed nickel b/c of the hardware/SS appliances but also think maybe something glass or crystal would be nice. any other suggestions??? Thanks!!
    ...See More

Please help me choose a kitchen backsplash!

Q

Comments (11)
    Both will work - you have great taste. At first I thought I would prefer the one you do, the silver birch, because it's warm tones echo those of the floor. But when I put the elements next to each other, I prefer the contrast shine, and stronger colors of the chalkboard. It has warmth, whites, greys, metallic sheen, and iridescence. Your granites call for a statement bs, something a little bolder than the birch. Either way, you have grey granites, white cabs and a grey backsplash - what other paint are you going to use? The birch limits you to earth tones. The chalkboard opens you up to earth tones, shades of white, taupe, copper, greens and even purple. I understand that you want to keep things neutral to offer you the option for change in the future, but the one thing your kitchen could use right now is a color other than grey. BS tile gives you the opportunity to add some now, not just some day. Here are two glass mosaic options that harmonize with your greys but also add a lot of needed color, and will animate your space. Choosing either could narrow you paint options in the future, or open them up - depends on how you look at it, really. http://www.glasstileoasis.com/item.asp?item=13181 http://www.glasstileoasis.com/item.asp?item=18123
    ...See More

Minty green backsplash - help me choose!

Q

Comments (45)
    HI mnmamax3 (and MN anniebird!), no, I just pulled celadon and mint because those were colors you mentioned. I almost put in Winchester's Sudbury, which is a variable green and sometimes regret not doing so. Rubble reps Winchester and many other cool lines, but again, I like your trapazoid tiles a lot. I bought my tile from Mercury Mosaics - mixed 3 whitish shades in a block herringbone pattern. My daughter is a potter and I wanted to support a local group of young potters, plus, they bring their dogs to work and they need kibble, lol.
    ...See More
  • User
    7 years ago

This was in your Ideabook and is the closest to your kitchen. You show a lot of white subway tile. I think it's a good representation of how white subway will look. Do you think the accent tile adds anything of interest?

Prospect St. Kitchen · More Info

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Thanks all! (this is fun:)

1. cement tile - I'd never heard of it before I started lurking this forum a few years ago, and now I love it. (I'm sure I'd seen it before in real life, but I'd never really identified what it was, or registered it as a design option). However, I'm not sure I'm that brave, or that it fits the style. I'll have to look for more inspiration pictures if I'm really going to consider it. It would be loud for sure, and the color of the lower cabinets is already pushing my bravery with color:)

2. photo above - I have an odd aversion to border accent tiles. I don't know why I don't like them, even though a bunch of my inspiration photos have them; that's usually a part of the photo I like the least.

3. texture - I think you are on to something there eam44. The matte and more stone like tiles seem to fir the rustic aesthetic, which I like, but I hadn't considered the subtle mix like your example. That would be very pretty,

I agree mayflowers, I think the tile I have isn't the right color.

I want to post more, but I need to go do actual work for a bit. :)

• User
    7 years ago

You have lots of color but it's all big, solid swatches of color. I don't think that color alone can carry this kitchen. In the Prospect Street Kitchen, when I remove the accent tile in my mind, it gets boring. Plain subways just add another solid mass. Like eam, I would like to see texture or pattern to bring in the "fun" I mentioned in my first post but it has to suit your rustic farmhouse. Even though the glass accent isn't something I'd use either, it does add some fun.

Am E thanked User
  • Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Oooh, eam44, that top blue tile is gorgeous!

Mayflowers - that explanation helps me. My kitchen is all big blocks of color. I agree that removing the accent tile in "prospect st kitchen" photo above takes away the interest. Its much better with the accent tile. While it looks right (and very nice) in that kitchen, I'm still having trouble articulating why I don't want to copy that exact look in my kitchen.

Here's the two tone kitchen that my designer really liked:

Sunset Park, Brooklyn Rowhouse · More Info

• DIY2Much2Do
    7 years ago

Our color scheme is similar to yours... white cabinets, wood, soapstone and a dark teal island. We ended up using 3x6 honed carrara marble tile with a very light grey grout. I was concerned about having two competing natural stones, but the backsplash is subtle enough that it doesn't compete with the soapstone, while having more interest than plain subway. We're very pleased with it, however we don't have a lot of backsplash. Good luck.

• User
    7 years ago

While it looks right (and very nice) in that kitchen, I'm still having
    trouble articulating why I don't want to copy that exact look in my
    kitchen.

Because it's out of style. I posted it not to recommend it but to see if you wanted to use white subways or if you felt it needed something more. I don't care for the dark grout with the white subway. To me it's quite traditional and period specific, not for a rustic farmhouse.

Could you take a photo of the kitchen straight on so we're not relying on the rendering?

• Jillius
    7 years ago

To me, that backsplash is calling for tile with a soft, organic feel. Soapstone and your ceiling are both natural (and natural-looking) materials, but the counter and cabinets have such straight, pristine lines that you're losing a bit of the natural vibe of the soapstone material. Then your ceiling is kind of hanging out being natural all by itself. I think an organic-feeling backsplash next to the stone could draw out and highlight that aspect of the soapstone more, and then the whole kitchen would feel like a nice mix of natural, earthy materials and modern, clean lines.

Have you seen Carrie B's backsplash? It's not the right color for your kitchen, obviously, but the soft, slightly irregular, slightly handmade shape could be really nice in yours.

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

" the whole kitchen would feel like a nice mix of natural, earthy materials and modern, clean lines" - I love this description.

daiseychain01, is the above what you were talking about with square tiles and running bond pattern?

"Could you take a photo of the kitchen straight on so we're not relying on the rendering?" - yes. I apparently don't have a recent one however, so I'll try to get over to the house tomorrow and take some better shots.

• User
    7 years ago

I'm a nature girl at heart and I love matte and low-sheen ceramic tiles. I think Carrie's tile is Sonoma and they have beautiful matte glazes.

• daisychain Zn3b
    7 years ago

Yes, that's it! And that's the sort of handmade look I like too.

I like how the dark grout adds dimension in the inspiration kitchen of your designer.

I agree the cement tile would probably be too much, but I love it so much, I will try to talk anyone into using it. I've also heard that it can be hard to find someone who knows how to install it properly depending on where you are. I tried to do it in our bathroom but couldn't find a supplier or installer within 3 days drive.

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are some more pics.

It was a bit dumb not to turn the lights on for the photo, the colors look off to me. I got distracted talking to the guys finishing the wood floors. Thus, apologies for the mess on the peninsula. No way am I going to slow them down just so I can clean up the kitchen for a photo:)

Wood floors will be finished at the end of next week. Appliances arrive the end of the following week. Then, CO and move in? Ideally, I'll pick something and have it installed before we move.

Also, I'm lurking the "what's next in backplash tile" thread. Interesting!

DIY2much2do, your kitchen is really nice. I like your choices. I'm really uncertain about my teal/blue cabinets, but your island looks great.

• User
    7 years ago

Thank you! That's VERY helpful. There's definitely enough interest with all the beams. I don't think you even need tile. I could see colorful, large tile squares behind the range instead of the soapstone. I thought soapstone got grease-stained easily?

• Jillius
    7 years ago

I'm with mayflowers. I think this, with this view, the kitchen is plenty interesting all by itself and would just go without a backsplash. Is the counter fit well enough to the wall to go without?

If not, you might add a short soapstone splash everywhere aside from behind the range and leave it at that. See this kitchen for inspiration:

http://chezerbey.com/tour/kitchen-after/

• eam44
    7 years ago

The soapstone is already there and you love it. You might as well live with it for a while. If grease stains become a problem you might decide to oil it.

If you want to use a handmade tile you might want to start ordering samples. Your images bring to light that absolutely everything in that space is rectilinear. It makes me want to break that up with a curved edge tile like the ogee drop I showed above sans the contrasting grout color.

When you pick an ogee drop shape you have four options in layout, as shown below. The two on the left are fish scale patterns, while on the right you have a sail, and absolute chaos (a four-piece lantern) on the bottom right. Any of these would be very pretty in your space, but my favorite is the chaos.

Here's a bs using that layout in lantern shape with same color grout.

I sort of feel you need this, or maybe penny rounds - just something with a curve. In contrast to an actual lantern shape tile, the ogee drop is a touch modern and super cool.

• eam44
    7 years ago

One question for you - in the dw area you can see - is that framing visible? Did you not drywall your space before hanging your cabinets? No insulation?

• nosoccermom
    7 years ago

High gloss paint, matte glass, or larger matte square tiles.

How big a deal would it be to add a shorter backsplash?

Luxurious Loft Conversion · More Info

French Villa · More Info

Lots of very cool kitchens at this Irish kitchen website

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Jillius - can I have the golden retriever with that kitchen too? I think it would help offset all the brown my chesapeake bay retriever brings :)

On no backsplash - I am open to this, with one problem - the two posts on the range wall (in the corner and to the right when looking at the range) currently look unfinished at the interface with the drywall. The walls were constructed with the understanding that those joints would be covered with a backsplash. So, I still want to make that look finished somehow. I also think they need to be covered in general, to my eye, those vertical posts just break up field of painted drywall in a way that looks like a construction mistake.

maybe not use tile as a backsplash, and do something like this?

Harbor Cottage, Maine · More Info

eam44 - re: dishwasher - on the fridge wall and sink wall, there is a six in deep false wall up to counter height - my counters are an extra six inches deep on those two cabinet runs. This was done to make it easier to fit cabinets around the posts on those walls (timber framing has unique challenges). (The cost and complication to make the cabinets, drawer glides, etc. six inches deeper and custom fit around the posts wasn't worth it to me). We didn't bother to drywall the lower portion of the fake wall.

Also, all exterior wall are SIPS (Structural Insulated Panels) - they are not conventionally framed - there is six inches of foam insulation behind that dishwasher.

On the plus side, my standard depth fridge will look like a counter
    depth fridge sitting in that spot, as it has six inches more depth than
    the standard cabinet depth.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

What is your paint color? It looks like your designer tried to match the paint color and it appears to have lots of yellow tint in it?

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cabinet colors:

uppers - SW6070 Heron Plume

lowers - SW6222 Riverway

wall color - SW7036 Accessible Beige (this is in a lot of the house - it reads much cooler and grayer than I was expecting. I suppose it could read yellow - I'm betting that has more to do with the camera skewing colors, and/or perhaps all the yellow/orange-y wood reflecting off everything)

for what it worth, here's an earlier rendering with a border I didn't really like:

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This is my problem - cpartist can laugh with me and knows all too well after my exterior paint color dilemma - I can't pick a design direction, I like too many things:)

eam44 you are selling me on a non-rectangular shape - that ogee lantern shape is really beautiful.

I also saw this and really liked it, so, as ever, my "taste" is all over the place:)

Eastern Avenue · More Info

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

nosoccermom - I really like that bottom kitchen you posted.

• User
    7 years ago

Your home seems more rustic than farmhouse, so I wouldn't do shiplap.

This matte tile has an earthy texture and soft, warm color. It might be tumbled marble. It's a beautiful kitchen. There are a few more photos at the link.

Lake House Kitchen · More Info

Lake House Kitchen · More Info

• cpartist
    7 years ago

message me please

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

mayflowers - I love that kitchen you just posted. If I do tile, I now understand I like a matte, not glossy finish.

"This matte tile has an earthy texture and soft, warm color."

" the whole kitchen would feel like a nice mix of natural, earthy materials and modern, clean lines"

these two descriptions are what has jumped out at me, and are helping me clarify a direction to go.

CP, I have not, but will.

• User
    7 years ago

I think it goes nicely with all your elements too. The company who posted those photos answered all the questions that were asked so they might tell you what the tile is.

• eam44
    7 years ago

Aren't you glad you waited to pick your backsplash? If you'd chosen your tile when you chose everything else you'd be stuck.

The ogee drop from Fireclay Tile runs $35/sf. If that is out of budget, you can find the same shape elsewhere. Shown below are Sugar and Frost, two good options that you could mix if you like the look of mixed whites.

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm of two minds on that eam44

Ideally, I would like to be a person that has a coherent design vision ahead of time, makes choices to fit that vision, and then implements without second guessing. I've rarely succeeded during this build:)

With the backsplash, I've found it reassuring to have a choice ready to go, but not one that I am locked into, as you say. The backsplash is a fun item that has relatively little consequence for changing my mind a bunch of times. The input on this thread is great. Maybe more choices makes it more challenging for me, but its sure fun.

these photos sort of have a mix of eam44 and mayflowers' suggestions; a quiet matte tile, but not in a rectangular shape:

Arabesque Cement Tile Backsplash · More Info

Arabesque Tile · More Info

• eam44
    7 years ago

The approach you have used is exactly what I advocate. Think about your materials in concert with each other, but hold off on buying the bs until you have everything else installed. I'm glad it is working for you!

Those lantern and arabesque tiles are beautiful but they do not read as clean and modern as the ogee. If that's what pleases you, absolutely go for it, but you're moving into an "older" tile shape. Perhaps you should order sample tiles and let us know when you have them in place? As far as glazes go are you considering a monochromatic white? A little variation as I've shown you above could be very pretty.

• The Smiths
    7 years ago

I could see a matte black/dark grey porcelain/ceramic, and I love the staggered square handmade tile look too for your space!

Your kitchen is absolutely to die for. You must be over the moon! Would have loved to have been able to get my husband on board with colored cabinets like yours!

• eam44
    7 years ago

You do seem to have a lot of light in that space most of the day. Continuing the light grey/soapstone theme could be a pretty option.

• User
    7 years ago

I just don't see the need for an elaborate backsplash. You still have the appliances to go in, three display cabinets to fill, and counter stuff to put out. I'd set it up so it looks lived-in and then decide what more it needs.

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

While I would like to make a decision, I'm not in a rush. If I had to
    pick something, I'd hurry up and get more samples and make a decision. I
    have the luxury of time to consider many options, and I can work at this choice a little at a time in between working on other things. This thread helps make picking a backsplash fun, instead of becoming more stress over having to make yet another decision:)

I stopped by a tile store, and their in house designer helped me to select some samples to think about:

left to right:

marble - it comes in a matte finish, but the sample has a gloss

original selection

two different colors of the same subway tile. I'm unsure about the stark white, but I don't like the grayer/beige color.

An inspiration photo I saved for the white tile:

Crisp Architects · More Info

maybe herringbone?

Newlands new construction c · More Info

that last tile I had to have a sample of. The colors go well with my cabinets. Its was serendipitous, I couldn't not take a sample home. Here's their example photo:

backsplash · More Info

I like the tile with one exception - the edge "antique" effect. That drives me crazy. It just looks like dirty, moldy grout to me.

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Also, I want to share this kitchen. I'd never seen anything like it. (this has nothing to do with my thread, I just think people on this forum will appreciate it). I was searching for examples of marble with soapstone counters, and this came up.

Bucks County Eclectic Farmhouse Kitchen · More Info

I'm conflicted to say the least. I find this kitchen to be over the top amazing, and yet it is also giving me a headache, and makes me want to re-paint my blue cabinets and everything else a single, serene, earth tone color:)

I both sort of appreciate it in a way, and also need something to calm me down.

Crisp Architects · More Info

Phew. ok. That's better.

• User
    7 years ago

Of those, I only like the marble sample. The veining looks minimal, and it does have a rustic quality, unlike the Farmhouse Kitchen photos. Are you oiling your soapstone? I think it will be easier to find tile with it oiled. I agree that the white is too stark and the square looks stained.

• eam44
    7 years ago

Yeah... different folks have different taste. Beyond advising against tile that looks like a huge mistake (like the fleur-de-lis) I'm not sure how much more helpful we can be. I would choose glass before I would choose another stone for your kitchen (and I wouldn't choose glass). Ive dubbed the "stone bs with stone counters" look Stonehenge and I'm not a fan. It's the kitchen equivalent of the jeans suit. But if you want a marble bs, buy a marble bs. Remember us with a reveal. Good luck!

• User
    7 years ago

Well I'm not out of creative ideas yet! Reading other people's suggestions is like a brainstorming session that gets me thinking in new directions. I'm not married to one idea! I also never tire of looking at Houzz photos for ideas.

I still like the idea of square tiles. What I like about them is they aren't directional like subways, which lead your eye around the room.

This tile has a diamond pattern on top of the tile, giving it a subtle quilted look, so that seems farmhouse to me. It's just a little extra touch to plain white squares.

Farmhouse 2016 · More Info

But these plain cream squares are very pretty with the soapstone. I like the combination of the squares and the beadboard. The vertical direction of the beadboard brings the eye up to the skylights. I also like how it repeats the direction of the wide molding but in a different width. You too have vertical elements with your beams and the three tall framed windows. I think it'd calm it down to use more verticals vs. horizontals.

Melrose Graham Kitchen · More Info
    Here's tongue and groove around a soapstone backsplash. It's less busy than beadboard.

Farmhouse Kitchen · More Info
    Posting your kitchen so we can look at examples with it without constantly scrolling back.

Am E thanked User
  • cpartist
    7 years ago

I would love to see a small patterned tile that picks up the blue and the beige with a rustic look. Like the one that am_e posted but without the dirty edge.

Pratt and Larson

Pratt and Larson 2

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

I'm still occasionally thinking about backsplash tile as I get some free time.

"Reading
    other people's suggestions is like a brainstorming session that
    gets me thinking in new directions. I'm not married to one idea! I also
    never tire of looking at Houzz photos for ideas." - exactly! Also, I've
    run across two of those last three kitchen you posted:) (maybe too much
    time on houzz?...nah)

I picked up more samples. I really like
    the white tile below, and want to share. Unfortunately, I don't think
    the white goes with the white on my upper cabinets.

I
    doubt the tumbled stone tile will be popular here, but I really like
    the colors. If I went with stone, I would probably go all the way up and
    around the window as well.

Any opinions on this?

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Merola-Tile-Okaido-Nordico-Decor-19-3-4-in-x-19-3-4-in-Ceramic-Floor-and-Wall-Tile-16-5-sq-ft-case-FCG20OND/206402828

I
    like the center designs (they vary), but don't care for the larger
    pattern. Maybe I could cut up each sheet and make a new pattern? It
    seems to be unobtanium anyway; out of stock online and not sold in
    stores.

cp - you have really converted me to the idea of patterned tile, if I can find the right one. Still looking.

• barncatz
    7 years ago

Winchester Tiles. I randomly pulled examples of their decorated tiles. They have different shapes and many glaze colors. I love your kitchen!!

• barncatz
    7 years ago

:))

• User
    7 years ago

The stone is rustic whereas the decorated tiles give a wallpaper effect, so maybe they lean more traditional farmhouse. I would collect images of kitchens that use those type of tiles and decide if your kitchen is of as grand of a scale as those kitchens.

The simple Scandinavian one is nice, like a homemade stencil, but I'm not sure about the white-washed sawn board look of the other tiles with all the other wood in the kitchen.

• Pipdog
    7 years ago

You have a beautiful kitchen! I love the color of the lower cabinets. While a white or cream subway tile would look nice, it seems like a very "safe" choice. Would you consider a mosaic with a very light hint of blue? I like the idea of adding some texture with a unique shape. You could go in several directions:

herringbone:

a ribbed version of a subway tile:

or they have a stacked version.or even a unique shape:

or:

I would not do tumbled tile -- I think it competes too much with your counters.

• cpartist
    7 years ago

am-e I'm on a cruise right now but will pull some more examples when I get home after the weekend

• sheloveslayouts
    7 years ago

CP! I assumed you were busy with your build. I'm glad you're enjoying a cruise instead :-)

• Am E
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Cp - enjoy your cruise! I am really ready for a vacation right now. I can't believe you responded at all, please ignore my thread until you get back.

pipdog - I like the herringbone and ribbed subway, but I'm having trouble finding a coordinating white with my cabinets. I'll probably keep looking.

this is a similar photo I like:

Wellesley Farmhouse · More Info

barncatz - I will look at winchester, thanks!

• cpartist
    7 years ago

What about something like this? It's walker zanger

Bridle Path Residence · More Info

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES