SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
syllabub

Deciding between Scherr's and Semihandmade

Stacey M
7 years ago

I know this has been asked a million times over, but I haven't seen much about Semihandmade's Supermatte/Thermofoil option. Anyone have it? I have my kitchen design pretty much finalized, but I can't seem to make up my mind about which custom fronts to go with. Budget is pretty tight, and I don't have the space to paint the DIY shaker myself. I've gotten quotes from Scherr's for unfinished (about 4k), painted with custom color (8k) and semihandmade DIY (5k) and their newer thermofoil Supermatte (9k). SH is currently running a sale for 15% off the Supermatte, which would bring them down to about $7750, so cheaper than the painted finish from Scherrs.

I had an independent cabinet painter quote me $7k to paint the doors for me- so that's out. If I could find someone to do it for $2000, I'd probably do it.

Doe anyone have experience with the SH Supermatte? It comes in gray, which I wanted (even though it's not the the exact shade I'd choose). I like that the thermofoil seems easier to clean (filthy kids!), and there's the plus of not having to deal with the finishing aspect. Plus, cheaper.

There isn't enough time for me to get a sample painted door from Scherr's before the SH is sale is over to compare. How does the quality of Scherr's compare with the DIY SemiHandmade? I do have a sample of that. I'm wondering how the painted finish will hold up on the painted Scherr's vs Thermofoil? I also like that the Scherr's cabinets are true shaker with the squared stile, vs wrapped.

Long story short, painted cabs from Scherr's would be about the same cost as Semihandmade's Supermatte- which is a better option?

Comments (14)