SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
riotbrrd

FYI: Some info on custom Ikea doors

8 years ago

I've been pricing my kitchen in Ikea cabinets and thought I'd share some of what I've learned.

Here's what I've been pricing:

• A fairly large kitchen with 28 cabinets. Mostly drawers in base cabinets.
  • Flat-slab, painted doors & drawer fronts

I've spoken with Semihandmade, Dunsmuir, and Scherrs.

One interesting thing I learned from the folks at Dunsmuir is that Ikea Sweden offers an additional set of drawer sizes in multiples of 7.5". So you can get a cabinet with 4 equal-sized drawers in that size, which I think is a nice configuration. I decided to do two of my drawer bases with this custom configuration.

Dunsmuir says the Ikea system will actually work with door/drawer heights in any multiple of 1.25".

Dunsmuir

Dunsmuir has beautiful, modern doors with high-end options like integrated pulls. They are willing to customize quite a bit, and they will finish the fronts. They also have an online pricing tool which is fairly easy to use.

Price quote: $16,000 (not including tax or shipping)
Finishing: Conversion varnish, included in price above
Custom sizes: Yes

Goldilocks says: Dunsmuir is too expensive!

Semihandmade

I was initially very excited about Semihandmade. They have some really lovely products, their pricing is good, and they came recommended by the installer I'm working with. However, they were unwilling to make custom-height drawer fronts for me -- even without the drilling for drawer boxes. The salesperson actually gave me contradictory answers about this over the course of the week, which did not impress me. Apparently they are unwilling to do any degree of customization.

They also don't do finishing.

Price quote: $2,500 (not including tax or shipping)
Finishing: No -- not available
Custom sizes: No

Based on one conversation I've had with a local finishing company, it would cost about $3,500 to have the fronts painted with conversion varnish. So total cost: $7,000.

Goldilocks says: Semihandmade is too inflexible!

Scherr's

On the recommendation of many here, I decided to check with Scherr's. Despite their atrocious website, they were actually very helpful and responsive when I called them on the phone. Tanner Scherr got back to me with a price quote very quickly.

I asked him about the custom drawer heights. They are willing to do those but without drilling. I'm still hoping he might be willing to give it a try if I can get them better specs.

They will also do finishing, a conversion varnish. However, the finishing dramatically lengthens the turnaround time. Without finishing, they could ship my fronts in about 2 weeks. With finishing, that changes to over 2 months.

Price quote: $1,300 (not including tax or shipping)
Finishing: Conversion varnish, standard white color: $2,900; custom color: $3,300*
Custom sizes: Yes, but without drilling for hinges or drawer boxes

*Tanner did mention that the darker the color, the more the upcharge.

Goldilocks says: Scherr's might be just right!

Non-Ikea options

Since I'll also be paying for professional assembly, I decided to check with a local, reasonably-priced custom cabinet maker to see if I would really be saving that much money. Their quote came in at $26,000. It would, however, be plywood boxes and paint-grade wood doors rather than MDF. But I don't think I care all that much.

My total if I go with Ikea and Scherr's:

Ikea boxes and fittings: $3,200
Scherr's fronts, finished: $ 4,600
Shipping: $500
Professional assembly (est.): $5,000

Ikea/Scherr's: $ 13,300
Custom cabinets: $26,000

Goldilocks says: Ikea! Woot!

Hope this info is helpful. Cheers!

- Goldilocks

Comments (17)