SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
unixisgoodforyou

customizing Ikea drawers and door fronts

unixisgoodforyou
12 years ago

I'm toying with the idea of going with Ikea cabinets and installing custom door fronts. I could go with the standard sized Ikea doors, or I could go with custom sized door fronts.

There are a few weird questions bouncing around that I haven't resolved with reading and searching in GardenWeb. There seems only to be two heights of drawers (3 1/8" and 6 3/4").

1. What's the shallowest (least tall door) that I can attach to the smaller drawer? I would like to use only the predrilled holes on the side of the cabinet. The answer seems to depend on that spacing.

2. What's the shallowest (least tall door) that I can attach to the larger drawer?

3. So how does one deal with putting really tall items into the talles drawers and stuff falling out? i.e. How to prevent tall cookie sheets (standing on tall end) from falling over the the short 6 3/4" side rails?

I'm trying to fully understand davidro1's comments about "I wonder how you could display on your site how people could optimize drawer volume (in ikea cabinets) because the ikea drawer spacing creates a fair amount of wasted space. Anyone who took a picture of the underside of the three drawers in an Ikea cabinet would have a strong case to make. If someone is getting custom drawer fronts made, NOW is the perfect time to change the heights of the drawers. Then they get more space inside their drawers."

Comments (11)