SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
molly_phillips5546059

Gulp - BIG $ difference in primed vs painted Scherr's

Molly Phillips
11 years ago

We bought Ikea bases and were (are?) planning to use Scherr's doors and drawers. Yesterday he sent me the quote that only included the doors/drawers primed with 2 coats of varnish. Today, I called and asked him to add into the quote a custom color - we want a softer white than the cool SW Extra White they offer as the standard color. Received the quote back tonight and - holy moly - it's an additional $2000! He had told me a custom color was a little more but if it was a whiteish color it's not as much as, say, a green or yellow. I had no idea it would be that much more.

Our options are: 1) only get them primed and then paint them ourselves. However, I've very concerned about this - how it would look, how it would withhold through a busy family with young children, and how much time it would take to do it ourselves. 2) stick with the Extra White standard option, even though that will change our entire color scheme. 3) maybe glaze over the extra white once it arrived to soften it? Would that be easier/better lasting than painting them ourselves? I'm not a big glaze fan but the rest of our house has pretty warm colors so I'm afraid a stark white kitchen will stand out in a bad way.

I'm heartbroken. We chose this route to save money but if we end up with this bottom line, we could've purchased them somewhere and had them installed for only $500 more.

This post was edited by lovetodream on Fri, Jan 4, 13 at 22:19

Comments (19)