SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hillsidehouse

Barker Doors vs Semihandmade vs Scherr's?

Hillside House
6 years ago

After a year of planning on using Scherr's doors for our kitchen remodel, I'm now contemplating some other options. I'm in touch with a couple of local cabinet makers for quotes, but since I live in a resort area, I don't have much hope that they'll be too reasonable for a DIY-er.

Semihandmade seems to be the most expensive, but they do have 20% off DIY right now, which brings them down quite a bit in price. I'm waiting to hear back, but I think they also only have the standard IKEA door sizes, which doesn't work for us... we have a few custom sizes we need.

Scherr's is the mid-range option. They are offering 10% off DIY, but their overall prices just went up a few days ago, so the estimate is quite a bit higher than the one I got a few months ago. They are familiar with IKEA cabinets and can do all of the boring for hinges, but they also charge an additional fee to work with an IKEA plan, which seems... weird. They've been great to communicate with, and very responsive, but I'm just having a hard time biting the bullet now, when I was absolutely ready to two weeks ago. (Wish I had done it then, instead of waiting for the sale.)

Barker Doors is the least expensive, by far! My estimate from them is about half of Scherr's. They really seem to push their cabinet line; so while they *do* make doors for refacing, they're not the most helpful or knowledgeable when it comes to that. We would have to have the hinges bored by a local place, or do them ourselves... not a huge deal, as we've done it before, but something we weren't super excited about. And, again, price.

So, anyone who's checked into any of these companies, can you give me the abridged version of who you ended up using, and why? Any regrets?

Comments (24)