SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
larsi_gw

Adding fabric softener WITH detergent!

larsi_gw
7 years ago

A while back, MamaP did a post about The Benefits of Fabric Softener. Everyone knows I LOVE liquid fabric softener (I never use dryer sheets in the dryer). One of the benefits Mama listed was that fabric softener shortened dry times. I am have the absolute opposite effect.

I have been noticing the drying times going up and up for my Miele condenser dryer. Yes, condenser is spotless. Yes, all 3 lint screens are clean.

I cleaned the interior moisture sensing bars with 91% rubbing alcohol, and the dry times greatly improved...by as much as 15-35 mins shorter.

I have done 3-4 loads of clothes with NO liquid fabric softener, 2 loads of sheets and a few loads of towels. NO fabric softener. Dry times are much shorter than when I use liquid softener. But....I totally hate the way fabrics look and feel. Yes, the condenser dryer leaves everything softer and fluffier than a vented dryer, but with no liquid FS, I find many items look dry or dehydrated and the fibers are not laying and feeling as smooth.

So, I added about an ounce of liquid Downy to some Tide he turbo liquid and washed a load with detergent and softener TOGETHER.

Of course suds were greatly diminished during the wash cycle (fine with me), but everything came out clean and SOFT, even after 3 deep water rinses. I even had a few cotton tees with some food (lunch) stains, and the stains are 100% gone. Adding liquid FS to detergent seems to not affect surfactants or enzymes.

A little softener must somehow remain on the fabric, despite 3 rinses....but not enough to confuse or coat the moisture sensors in my dryer.

Anyone else try this? I know I got Alex to try this tonight on a load of shirts!

Comments (28)