SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
buttoni_8b

Would love blooming plant/shrub ideas

buttoni_8b
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Bought this house last August and the side/back garden needs a lot of work. But I broke one wrist in September and the other in June, so things have been on hold the better part of the year we've lived here. The former owner was a Master Gardener, they tell me. What you see in the photos was pretty much all planted by her. I planted the hostas and the coral begonias myself. I have planted two variegated liriope: one near a big clump of the green variety and the other out in the open space behind the non-functioning fountain I planted some sweet potato vine in. This garden flanks a long paved driveway and below are photos of the two sides of the meandering pathway. The top photo is what I call the center "island". This past Spring, we pebble paved the walkway, as after two falls in just a year, the dirt path just wasn't going to work for my clumsy self. I planted the variegated hostas and the coral begonias along the pathway. Those clumps out in the center "island" are red Turks Cap, which got so monstrous I cut them back for the second time last month as they were taking over the bench!. But they bloom nicely and the hummingbirds love them.

I've trimmed all the center "island" nandina bushes by the driveway since this photo was taken, and completely removed the one by the saga palm in the center. The top photo is after trimming/removal. The nandinas were preventing view into the garden from the house windows and the entrance.

My only thoughts so far: 1) train a Lady Banks yellow rose to climb up the dying tree you see down by the non-function in the bottom photo. I had a half dead pear tree at my last house I left JUST as a support for a Lady Banks. It was beautiful by the time we sold that house with 10 years growth, and on a tree that was much healthier providing shade most of the day as well. So I think a Lady Banks will do OK trained up onto that tree.

1. I've since moved the blue birdbath elsewhere and there is now an empty, big space in the center of the "island" that gets sun MOST of the day. I thought a bougainvillia would like that spot, maybe even elevated somehow in a huge pot. Would be a nice color splash in the see of green around it.

3) Would love Texas sage, but only my front yard is sunny enough with enough "growing room" for a TX sage.

We haven't spread out fresh mulch yet, but plan to when we get it planted to suit us this Spring.

I welcome any and all ideas that for plants that are easy to grow and more importantly, that will tolerate our Texas heat and drought-like conditions. I do have a watering system back there that waters every 3rd day for 30 minutes, but in Texas heat, that is often still not enough.

Comments (14)