SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kaky_gw

Shrub ideas for front foundation planting

kaky
17 years ago

Receiving my daffodil bulbs inspired me to widen my front foundation bed. I'll plant daffs in front with (probably) annuals to cover. In back of the bed are 3 established Otto Luyken Laurels in front of a white porch. (There are four laurels with a crepe myrtle in the bed to the right of the porch.) The bed gets little sun in the winter and spring and lots in the hottest part of summer. Shade plants burn up. Sun plants sometimes struggle. The question: I'd like to plant another "row" of shrubs between the laurels and the bulbs. I have some Russian sage and gaura there now, just planted this fall. I read on the forum about planting deciduous shrubs in foundation beds, but can't picture how that would look. I love the idea of roses, perhaps Knockouts, but again, worry about the look in winter and about high-maintenance in the humid, drought-prone south. I have Indian Hawthorne planted around the corner of the house. Perhaps this would be simplest and provide continuity. One more complication, the shrubs would need to "top out" around three feet, max. Perhaps I should wait for the Russian Sage to fill in and see how that looks. Thanks in advance!

Comments (4)