SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
eastautumn

What would you plant between these shrubs?

eastautumn
15 years ago

I'm new here, except for lurking a bit last year and getting depressed as I realized I'd made all my beds way too narrow ;)

One of the first things we did after we moved in was to plant a couple of rose of sharon shrubs on the side of our north facing house, left of the front porch but not right along the foundation. We planted them in the fall of 2005, and they seem happy and are growing well, so I really don't want to move them.

The problem is, I think we spaced them too far apart from each other. They are 7.5 feet apart, and roses of sharon (they are the lavender chiffon variety) are only supposed to get 5-6 feet in width at maturity. I think it might look funny to have a gap of 1.5 to 2.5 feet between them. I think it would be nice if they gave some privacy to our porch, but don't know if they would look too much like a wall if I planted another RoS in between them. Here is a picture of them, taken when I was standing facing the left side of our house.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v513/almondstriations/landscaping/IMG_7160.jpg[/IMG]

The foundation planter area is planted with endless summer hydrangeas, and there's a little flagstone path between the that area and where the RoS are planted. We may have to move the flagstone pavers between the foundation bed and RoS once the RoS get mature and really fill out, but then in might look funny to have something so tall (the RoS) planted in front of the shorter hydrangeas with nothing breaking them up. But that's another whole issue I suppose... The hydrangeas on that (east facing) side of the house could definitely use some more shade than they are getting, so that's another reason I'd like something in between existing RoS shrubs.

I thought about planting a lilac bush there so there'd be something that looked alive in the spring before the RoS leaf uto, but don't know of any lilacs that would stay narrow enough, so I nixed that idea. Some sites say to plant RoS shrubs 4 feet apart, so that could work, although they'd be 3.75 feet apart if I plant one in between the existing 2. Or I could just leave them as is, but I'm worried they'll look like something's missing even after they mature.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions. I can take another picture facing the front of the house if needed, or any other perspective that might help.

Thanks!

Comments (10)