SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane2516

Flooring options for garden level concrete slab (interior)

Jane
7 years ago

I have a bilevel (raised ranch, split level) home. It is more or less open concept.

There is carpet with padding on the lower level concrete slab now.

There will be solid oak stained dark on the upper level and stair treads. There is tile on the entry landing (travertine look) and upper bath (carerra tile look) and a marble surround on the upper level fireplace.

What flooring options should I consider for the lower level concrete slab? It is visible when you walk in the door.

I like carpet but hate to maintain it. I don't really want to let the dogs access it unattended. I don't want to have to replace carpet. I might consider commercial carpet without padding if that is a reasonable alternative?

Tile might be ok, but it is hard. If I get a slab leak, would tiles pop up? What kinds of tiles would look good with the nearby travertine and wood floor? I am not in a tropical climate and I don't know if tile is used a lot here.

Wood or anything that looks like wood is a "no". I don't want to compete with the hardwood and I can't build a raised floor to install additional hardwood because part of the ceilings are only 7' high.

I am not a fan of vinyl or polished concrete. Although concrete tiles might be worth a look.

What else is there to consider?

Comment

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville