SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
txmarti

25 year old house, concrete slab, tell me what floor to get, plea

TxMarti
15 years ago

That should be please.

The foundation wasn't poured very level in places. We already had to level places when we put down tile in the kitchen & laundry room 13 years ago. I recently took the carpet out of the formal living room & hall and really want something done. We have been put off by our remodeling contractor until the first of the year. I know that is only 4½ months, but I just don't think I can live with a concrete slab with holes along the baseboard (from taking up the tackstrip), and paint spray & drips for that long.

I thought about putting down tile simply because the room connects to the kitchen and we have a lot of tile leftover (we bought enough to do a future addition, but haven't done it yet. My dh doesn't want tile because he thinks it will hurt our resale. We are in the DFW area and plan on moving in about 2 years.

I don't like the sound of laminate. It sounds like walking on the old type linoleum I grew up with. I like the look of hardwood and saw some Bruce at Home Depot that is tongue & groove and looks like solid wood to me, but it says nailed installation only so I guess that's out.

We live in a high humidity area and after reading here, I am a bit concerned about any hardwood glued to the slab, even if we can get it level. Although in a previous house we had a hardwood floor that had been glued to the slab & it was 20 years old when we bought the house and still looked great.

The formal living room has an outside door to a patio which at this time is our main entrance since it is next to the driveway. At some time, we want to put an addition on that patio, and taking out a wall would open a gap in the flooring.

If this were your situation and you knew you weren't going to live here forever, and had resale in mind, what would you do?

Comments (9)