What carbs to cut from my diet?
10 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (42)
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Discussions
Anyone here on Atkins or low carb diet???
Comments (8)Janet - hop aboard! Welcome! There is a post just below on Fat Flush - same idea as Atkins from what I see. I post on Diet Pals - we do EVERYTHING, anything, our own thing and basically just keep each other going. I have a friend who has been doing Atkins and has lost a lot of weight. Saw a very good health show of someone who has a lifetime of yo yo dieting and found Atkins suits her and her weight is now staying off - she loves meats, has learned to use the right types of fat (which you need) and still keeps her carbs at bay. My success has been with a more balanced diet - weight watchers. Whatever you decide to follow, feel free to make new friends, join any thread you like and ask questions. You could even start a new thread on whatever diet you choose. We love new faces around here and have lots of encouragement. I use this forum as a journal, every day to reinforce my commitment to myself, write about the bad days too - moods, foods and all - I dust myself off and try again. Whatever you decide to follow, please post no matter what. Hi ya, from Scotland! (I'm waving and yelling - youuu hooooo!) McPeg...See MoreIs anybody doing a low carb diet?
Comments (11)I have been on the "Fat to Skinny" diet which is 20 grams a day of carbs. I started the Monday after Thanksgiving..had no problems making it through Christmas and New Years. I was down 10 lbs. which seems a little slow for such a drastic diet.. but I am also hypothyroid. Last weekend I went to a birthday party dinner in which everything there was high carb.. so I ate that one meal and then went back to my 20 carbs a day diet. Weighed myself that Monday and had gained 5 lbs! Now I remember that low carb doesn't work well for me. I don't know why I thought it would work this time. I'm sticking to the plan this week since it does keep me away from sweets... but starting next week I'll start a higher carb diet that I had good results with in the past (I had to quit that because I had a bad case of systemic candida from antibiotics). The Fat to Skinny website does have some good informative videos and recipes. Good luck! Here is a link that might be useful: Fat to Skinny forum...See MoreNeed sides to go with high protein/lower carb diet
Comments (26)It's been a cold, rainy day and I've been going through recipes.... BROCCOLI, BACON AND CHEDDAR TOSS (9 g. carb. per 1/2-cup serving) 3 c. broccoli florets 2 oz. (1/2 c.) shredded Cheddar cheese 1/3 c. raisins 1/4 c. chopped red onion DRESSING: 1/2 c. mayonnaise 2 T. sugar [could substitute non-calorie sweetener] 2 t. lemon juice Add-in: 8 slices bacon, crispy cooked, crumbled In a large bowl, combine all salad ingredients. In small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients; mix well. Pour dressing ingredients; mix well. Pour dressing over salad; toss to combine. Just before serving, stir in bacon. Yield: Nine (1/2-cup) servings. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ZUCCHINI CAPONATA (I usually make 1/2 a recipe, which is still a LOT!!! I use it for a vegetarian lunch. Sometimes I'll add a sliced mozzarella cheese stick.) 3 g. carbs per 1/4-cup 1/3 c. olive or vegetable oil (I use 1 T.) 1 c. chopped onions 1/2 c. sliced celery 1/4 c. chopped yellow bell pepper 1/4 c. chopped red bell pepper 3 c. cubed zucchini 2 c. seeded, chopped tomatoes 2 T. chopped fresh basil OR 2 t. dried basil leaves 1 t. salt 1/4 t. pepper 2 T. lemon juice 1/2 c. small pitted ripe olives 2 T. capers, drained (I've never used them) Heat oil in heavy 2-quart saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onions, celery and peppers. Cook and stir 5-10 minutes or until tender. Add zucchini, tomatoes, basil, salt and pepper. Reduce heat to medium; cook 15-20 minutes or until vegetables are softened, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in remaining ingredients. Refrigerate 8-12 hours or overnight. Serve with pita bread wedges. Yield: 4-cups. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ LEMON-PEPPER VEGETABLES (If you want a whole meal add any kind of stir-fried meat.) Makes 6-servings - 5 g. carbohydrate per serving 1 c. 1/4-inch slices yellow squash (about 1-medium) (I also use frozen zucchini/squash in this recipe) 1 small red bell pepper; cut into 1/4-inch strips 1/3 c. diagonal slices celery (about one stalk) 1/3 c. 1-inch pieces green onions with tops (about 3) 1 t. vegetable oil 1 T. lemon juice 1/4 t. lemon pepper seasoning 4 oz. Chinese pea pods Cook squash, bell pepper, celery and onions in oil in 10-inch nonstick skillet over med-high heat about 2-minutes, stirring frequently, until bell pepper is crisp-tender. Stir in remaining ingredients. Cook about 1 minute stirring frequently, until pea pods are hot. 6-servings ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ GLUTEN-FREE (ALSO LOW-CARB) ZUCCHINI FRITTERS Yield: 4-servings, 4-grams carbs per serving 2 med. zucchini 2 green onions 1/4 c. almond flour 1/4 c. parmesan cheese, freshly grated 2 eggs salt and pepper 2 T. coconut oil (for frying) Grate zucchini and parmesan into a bowl. Add eggs, green onions, almond flour and season with salt. Heat oil in skillet over medium heat waiting for pan to get hot. Spoon mixture into pan and fry until golden brown, approximately 2-3 minutes per side. Serve with applesauce and/or sour cream. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ STEAMED VEGETABLES WITH HERB SAUCE Yield: 6 servings; 11-grams carbohydrates 3 c. cauliflowerets (about 1#) 2 med. zucchini, cut crosswise into 1-inch slices 1 med red, green or yellow bell pepper; cut into 1/4-inch strips 1 lemon half Prepare Herb Sauce. Place steamer basket in 1/2 inch water (water should NOT touch bottom of basket). Place cauliflowerets, zucchini and bell pepper in basket. Cover tightly and heat to boiling; reduce heat. Steam about 6 minutes or until vegetables are crisp-tender. Arrange vegetables on plate. Squeeze lemon over vegetables. Serve with Herb Sauce. HERB SAUCE 3/4 c. plain nonfat yogurt 1 t. honey (or non-calorie sweetener of choice) 3/4 t. chopped fresh or 1/4 t. dried basil leaves 3/4 t. chopped fresh or 1/4 t. dried tarragon leaves 1/4 t. salt 1 clove garlic, crushed Dash of dried dill weed Mix all ingredients. Cover and refrigerate at least 2-hours but no longer than 24-hours. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ZUCCHINI NACHOS 1 med. zucchini (7-8-inches long), sliced 1/8 t. onion powder 1/8 t. dried basil leaves, crushed 2 oz. (1/2-cup) shredded mozzarella cheese 1/4 c. coarsely chopped pepperoni 1-2 t. grated Parmesan Cheese Microwave Directions: On medium microwave-safe plate, arrange zucchini slices. Sprinkle with onion powder and basil. Top with mozzarella cheese, pepperoni and Parmesan cheese. Microwave on HIGH for 1-2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Yield: 1 serving; 7-grams carbohydrate...See MoreNeed low sodium/low carb diet for dog with seizures please ?
Comments (19)"his dog treats (which is chicken jerky/dehydrated chicken breasts) are all loaded with sodium" Tammy, I lost two dogs to kidney failure within about a year of each other and I highly suspect the jerky treats I was giving them was a big part of it. I discovered later they were very high in salt. I switched to other pet treats but (and this might sound a bit gross) I always licked them to make sure they didn't taste salty. Well it was just hard to get good quality treats without salt. So I decided to try and make my own, and I bought a food dehydrator. The only thing that goes into my dogs' treats is lean meat, no flavoring, no salt, nothing so I don't need to worry about it anymore. It's actually pretty easy. I get the butcher to slice up meat nice and thin then I cut it into smaller strips and put it into the multilevel dehydrator, switch it on until they are done. I keep a bag in the fridge (not even sure if it's necessary) and put other bags into the freezer to take out when the fridge bag runs out. My dogs love them, no added flavors or salt needed....See More- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
- 10 years agolast modified: 10 years ago
- 10 years ago
Related Stories

KITCHEN DESIGNSpecial Report: Kitchen News from Cologne
Blended Kitchen-Living Rooms, Super-Skinny Counters and Hidden Appliances Are Headed This Way
Full Story
HOME TECHTo Feed and Protect: Care for Your Pet From Afar With New Devices
You might miss the nuzzles, but your dog or cat won't miss food, water or monitoring with these high-tech feeders and cameras
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESDon’t Let These Excuses Keep You From Gardening
Stop blaming your lack of experience, space, time and funds, and get on with the joy of garden making
Full Story
PRODUCT PICKSGuest Picks: An Arsenal of Tools for Healthy Eating
Make cooking and juicing easier whether you follow a vegetarian, vegan, Paleo, primal or other diet
Full Story
KITCHEN APPLIANCESConsidering a New Kitchen Gadget? Read This First
Save money, time and space by learning to separate the helpers from the hassles
Full Story
MOST POPULAREasy Green: 23 Ways to Reduce Waste at Home
Pick from this plethora of earth-friendly ideas to send less to the landfill and keep more money in your pocket
Full Story
BEDROOMS12 Ways to Add Farmhouse Touches to Your Bedroom
Whether homespun, rough hewn or crafted from scraps, these elements evoke a simpler time
Full Story
SMALL HOMESAsk an Expert: What Is Your Ultimate Space-Saving Trick?
Houzz professionals share their secrets for getting more from any space, small or large
Full Story
LIFEThe Polite House: Do I Have to Display Decor Given to Me as a Gift?
Etiquette columnist Lizzie Post tackles the challenge of accepting and displaying home decor gifts from frequent visitors
Full Story
GROUND COVERSGround Force: 10 Top Ground Covers for Your Garden
Protect your soil from weeds and drought this summer with a living mulch of ground covers
Full Story
arkansas girl