SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
enduring

Do you like or hate cilantro? & Whats Your favorite detergent?

enduring
7 years ago

I'm eating a quick bite at The Noodle Co. Cilantro is in my dish. I love cilantro and have heard that some people hate it cause it tastes like soap, lol. So I'm taking a survey. My hypothesis is (but I have two of them) that the laundry forum will be full of cilantro lovers. Or there is a trend for scents for those that love cilantro and those that don't.

Comments (61)

• Alex Chicago
    7 years ago

Sorry, Enduring. This one isn't coming out as you posited! I'm also not a huge fan, though not repulsed like others. This is a genetic thing just like asparagus pee and catnip to (some) cats. There are famous cooks who hate it though they like almost everything else (J. Child and I. Garten to name a few).

enduring thanked Alex Chicago
  • kpyeatt
    7 years ago

I LOVE LOVE LOVE Cilantro! Can't get enough! I prefer some of my laundry lightly scented. Some I prefer unscented. I actually LOVE the smell of Persil Color Gel and Persil Universal Gel. Smells clean, clean, clean!

enduring thanked kpyeatt
  • Related Discussions

Cilantro - What can I do with Cilantro

Q

Comments (14)
    We grow a lot of cilantro and what we do with it is make Pesto....well technically it would be Pistou as we don't add the pine nuts. Yes I know pesto is made with basil but can be made from cilantro as well. You just add the cilantro to a food processor and drizzle in olive oil until it is a puree and add garlic as well and salt and pepper to taste. We dose it out on cookie sheets by the cupful and freeze it then bag it up. You can use it many different ways in cooked dishes or by itself. If you want cheese in it wait till you thaw individual portions. Try it, and you will love it. We do the same with basil in the summer.
    ...See More

What's your favorite laundry detergent?

Q

Comments (32)
    Like others usually what's on sale. I too have been using white vinegar as a rinse/water softener for years now. Buy it by the gallon. I found that the Dollar Store brand of oxy-clean & Woolite, ($1.ea), works just as well as the real stuff. Bad stains I soak overnight. Luckily, I do not have hard water. I used to love hanging delicates & linens on a clothesline but I can't do that anymore in my new condo. Esp linens when it's cold outside. The scent is something that cannot be duplicated in any fabric softener. What a treat to get into bed & smell the fresh air on sheets & pillow cases. I would hang my down pillows on the line for the day as well. Same with sweaters, winter coats, etc. Try it if you can.
    ...See More

Your two favorite detergents?

Q

Comments (27)
    @ joaniepoanie IIRC, the Sears Ultra Wash detergents are made by a company called DeSoto. I'm not familiar with it, don't know where it is located. The link below links the Sears detergent I have. I get good results in hot or warm wash water, not so much in cold or cool. However, the info at this website says it is formulated for all wash temps. Some people here have said it has faded some of their laundry (maybe dark fabrics, not sure), while some people here really, really like it a lot. I've always bought it at half-price when it was on sale at the local Sears appliance store. It is also available at Sears mall stores and online. The price is definitely very reasonable. Here is a link that might be useful: Sears Ultra Wash Stain Fighting detergent
    ...See More

Do you think cilantro smells like ...

Q

Comments (38)
    What I don't get is all the Mexican food here has tons of cumin in it, but when I was younger, I lived in Monterey and on a ranch just north of Guadalajara. I learned to make all of their foods and not one dish had that in it. My first experience with Cilantro was on the ranch. I was riding my horse in some woods and got poison oak. The old women there chopped up the cilantro and mixed it in a glass of water with some other herbs. They told me to drink it to get rid of the poison oak. I couldn't stand the smell and declined. It took 20 years for me to acquire a taste for it in salsa.
    ...See More
  • always1stepbehind
    7 years ago

Same here...LOVE, LOVE, LOVE cilantro. Oh that's the best part...when you can taste the cilantro. BBQ chicken pizza with onion and CILANTRO....its the cilantro that makes the pizza...mmmmm. mmmmm.

enduring thanked always1stepbehind
  • KATHY
    7 years ago

Love cilantro and lightly scented detergent.

enduring thanked KATHY
  • Jane
    7 years ago

Love cilantro and detergent has to be unscented or I break out with allergies.

enduring thanked Jane
  • Jody
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

I know a lot of people hate Lavender, but I love the smell.

enduring thanked Jody
  • enduring
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Well I just got home from the movies. This survey is turning out like Alex Chicago said above, its not working as I'd thought, lol. Oh well. I LOVE cilantro, and I like light smelling laundry detergent, not heavy floral. I am very happy to be washing farm clothes in Persil Powder today. Heavenly light and powdery to me, love it.

• mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Persil Pearls is my very favorate current day detergent scent...and I love what a fantastic job it does bleaching whites.

enduring thanked mamapinky0
  • littlegreeny
    7 years ago

I love, love , love cilantro too! OMG, BBQ chicken pizza with cilantro!!! First time I ever had cilantro, I thought it tasted soapy but now I can't get enough. I also always order my tacos "Mexican style" with cilantro and onion.

I like my laundry unscented to a very light scent. Right now I'm using Tide F&G he, BioKleen Premium Plus, Ecos Melon flavor with enzymes, Tide Coldwater Free mixed with a few drops of Tide Coldwater fresh scent. I'd like to maybe try the All Plus Free or Kirkland Free detergent at Costco.

I'd love to try more scented laundry products but my cat has severe asthma and I think multiple chemical sensitivities. Anytime I use something strongly scented he has an asthma attack. My husband also doesn't really like scented laundry.

enduring thanked littlegreeny
  • practigal
    7 years ago

We both like cilantro, but not the jalapeños which frequently accompanies cilantro. I kind of like scented laundry (although the Persil that they sell at Walmart was just too too much) but my husband has to have the free and clear versions.

I don't think your survey is getting to the expected tally, interesting idea though.

enduring thanked practigal
  • miami mami
    7 years ago

My 1/4 Mexican heritage is coming out in this thread! I love cilantro! I make a killer pico de gallo with it and also a yummy guacamole with a hefty dose of it! And-----I finally picked up some Mexican Ariel powder to try and I love the scent! I know some don't like it but I really think it's a great detergent! Very fresh smelling, did a load of sheets with hot water and 1/2 cup of Ariel and wow. So fresh and so clean!

enduring thanked miami mami
  • Abby Krug
    7 years ago

For those who dislike cilantro how do you feel about its seed- coriander? There is one dish I like that uses coriander- sometimes the coriander tastes innocuous- others times the coriander tastes exactly like cilantro. I think it may have to do with the freshness of the spice. The fresher the ground coriander seed the more like cilantro it tastes to me.

enduring thanked Abby Krug
  • georgect
    7 years ago

Cilantro...I can take it or leave it. It doesn't bother me if it's in a recipe or left out.

I like my laundry SCENTED. A nice clean fresh scent.

enduring thanked georgect
  • vetwife1998
    7 years ago

Mamap -- I also love Lavender, but not necessarily the laundry varieties if it.

enduring thanked vetwife1998
  • ci_lantro
    7 years ago

Love cilantro (surprise, surprise)...cilantro, tarragon & fennel are my favorite herbs. I'm trying to figure out why I love fennel but hate licorice?

I really, really don't like lavender.

Love the smell of Ariel and freshly laundered, line-dried-in-the-sunshine sheets.

enduring thanked ci_lantro
  • recordaras
    7 years ago

I used to hate cilantro, but about 5 years ago did a full 180 and now can't get enough of it. Like my laundry lightly scented, but go through regular unscented phases. Coriander I do like ground, biting into a whole seed not so much. Not a fan of fennel at all. And I do love the scent of real lavender.

enduring thanked recordaras
  • MizLizzie
    7 years ago

miami miami, you could share that pico recipe with the class???? recordaras, I used to dislike cilantro, too! And I did think it tasted like soap! Yes, I have heard this is genetic. But. For some reason, about 15 years ago, I began craving it. And sometimes, yes, I still get a soap taste. Doen't matter to me now. I will eat dirt if it has cilantro in it. Go figure.

enduring thanked MizLizzie
  • homepro01
    7 years ago

Love Cilantro. Love my laundry unscented.

enduring thanked homepro01
  • enduring
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Here are my results. I took the liberty to place those that said they like lightly scented laundry into the "LOVES" category, cause that's the language we use around here. Those that said they preferred unscented went into the "HATES" category, for dramatic contrast, lol. I had one outlier, @Always1stepbehind (go figure). Apparently they got so excitedly sidetracked with cilantro, they forgot the other part of my survey, hahaha. Then I also made some executive decisions on where to place people, for example @Littlegreeny. It doesn't matter that your husband likes unscented, and your cat has allergies; you went into the "LOVES" scents category. click on the image to enlarge it so you can read it.

• poppy214
    7 years ago

Always good to have the loyal opposition: no scent and NO cilantro.

enduring thanked poppy214
  • ArliVie
    7 years ago

Aha... so maybe there is correlation. Put me in the upper-left quadrant: I lurve me cilantro and scented detergent.

enduring thanked ArliVie
  • georgect
    7 years ago

enduring...I love visuals (and I love statistics).

Interesting find with the questionnaire.

enduring thanked georgect
  • sspeer9
    7 years ago

Love cilantro and like my detergent unscented or a natural scent.

IIRC, they've tied how cilantro tastes to a genetic component. For some, cilantro is extremely bitter and soapy tasting

enduring thanked sspeer9
  • morz8 - Washington Coast
    7 years ago

I LOVE cilantro, inhale the scent, and - pico de gallo. I can eat pico on fish, meat, especially eggs, rice, with chips....or just about anything.

I don't like heavily scented laundry products and buy Tide Original powder at Costco.

DH was changing wastebasket liners in the bathrooms the night before garbage pickup this week. He said:

I got new waste can sized garbage bags at Home Depot. (we buy ours by the bulk at Costco and have for years)

Me: Why?

He: The price for 40 looked right and they have a Hawaiian floral scent built in.

Me: No, we don't do that. We don't fill our house with artificial scents and those bags look lightweight in quality ;0) Stop shopping.

enduring thanked morz8 - Washington Coast
  • enduring
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Haha! I hate smell impregnated plastics. But what a sweetheart for helping out ;)

• always1stepbehind
    7 years ago

LOL...I go excited about the cilantro and proclaiming my love...I love scented detergent and softeners as much as cilantro. Not Gain though....that is WAY to much for me.

• a1an
    7 years ago

Love Cilantro. Even moreso than let's say than dill. Might even give it a slight edge over basil

enduring thanked a1an
  • mamapinky0
    7 years ago

Gain....the original and with Oxi powders I personally don't think are bad...much of the Tide powders and pods are way worse....I actually LOVE Gain with Oxi Fresh Fizz or something like that, but can't find it anywhere around me and suspect its been discontinued. IMO both of these Gains are sharp and herbal and much less floral candy. The older Gain with Bleach I'd give my left toes for LOL.

enduring thanked mamapinky0
  • hcbm
    7 years ago

OK, so according to Enduring's chart the majority of us "love" cilantro. And to make it even more laundry related I'm going to share my favorite quick and easy cilantro recipe, which will result in laundry (dirty dish rags, spilled food on clothes etc.)

Warning no measurements just use to taste. I use tons of cilantro but others may want less.

Shrimp with Cilantro over Pasta

Shrimp

Large bunch of cilantro

Garlic

Olive oil

Salt/Pepper

Pasta of choice (I like linguine)

Clean shrimp

Clean and chop large bunch of cilantro. (Preserve some to sprinkle over finished dish for extra flavor)

Peel and chop as much garlic as you like

While pasta is cooking take a large sauté pan, heat some olive oil add chopped garlic sauté till soft, add cilantro (it will shrink down), cook till it begins to wilt, add shrimp and season with salt and pepper. Cook with cover on pan till shrimp are done about 5 minutes. (I hate overcooked shrimp) Serve over pasta.

Hint: Sometimes I add a little extra seafood stock to have a little extra juice and sometimes not. It depends on my mood, time etc.

I serve this with good bread, and a fresh simple salad and fresh avocado.

After enjoying the cilantro wash all stained and dirty dish clothes, napkins, and clothes on a profile wash with plenty of enzymes. LOL

enduring thanked hcbm
  • MizLizzie
    7 years ago

Yum!

enduring thanked MizLizzie
  • vetwife1998
    7 years ago

@hmorton -- recipe sounds delicious. Love shrimp, and "devastated" that I developed an allergy to it 2 years ago this month. :(

• hcbm
    7 years ago

Yes this is a quick and yummy recipe I use when unexpected company pops over.

Vetwife-I feel your pain. Though not allergic to shrimp, as an adult I have developed multiple food allergies. I miss biting into a fresh apple or eating out without worrying that the staff doesn't understand "No nuts." My Epi-Pen is my constant companion. LOL.

The above recipe also is good with chunks of chicken breast or cod.

enduring thanked hcbm
  • CubeDweller
    7 years ago

I used to hate cilantro, now I love it. Gene expression? As for detergents - lightly scented, as in the Miele CareCollection UltraWhite, or unscented, but I haven't found one of those that I really like for cleaning stuff.

enduring thanked CubeDweller
  • sashanikki
    7 years ago

I love cilantro. Dhaka isn't crazy about it, so I stopped adding it to dishes. It kept growing in my garden and I just liked to smell it. Didn't come up this year. I like scented detergent but sometimes I end up allergic. I like the all pods and the persil linen.

enduring thanked sashanikki
  • Kathy W.
    7 years ago

Love!!!

Tide w/Downy AF and Persil Proclean Liquid :)

enduring thanked Kathy W.
  • User
    7 years ago

Hardly get to eat it, but love cilantro --- and I do like lightly scented detergents (and I always joke that if they could make a cologne like bleach I would wear it) and bleach. Do not like the heavy floral types though. "fresh linen" is heaven.

enduring thanked User
  • tweetybaby2005 (KS 6b)
    7 years ago

I love cilantro. Used to hate it as a kid though but now I love it. I don't like overly scented laundry detergent (i.e. I can take some lightly scented detergent). Much prefer unscented.

enduring thanked tweetybaby2005 (KS 6b)
  • Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

Cilantro? Fresh? Check. Dried? Check. Freeze-dried? Not yet. We eat a lot of Indian and Mexican foods so I add the basic measure to the recipe then chop some extra for me. I'd rather grow it fresh but it hates my climate. Cheaper to buy it fresh at the store than replace the plant every month.

Favorite everyday detergent is Mrs Meyers lavender - also use the FS and dryer sheets, lol. Also, the dishwasher pods, the spray cleaner and the dishwashing liquid. As my name implies, I grow roses - lots and lots of roses. In fall and spring, I combine dried rose petals with lavender and make sachets and potpourri. I love botanical fragrances. I love to cook with herbs. Detest the smell of most cleansers.

enduring thanked Jeannie Cochell
  • enduring
    Original Author
    7 years ago

This has grown to be a very interesting thread about what we love :) Roses, foods, scents, etc. Thank you all for your input. Do you like Tarragon? I have this idea that I should, but I hate the smell, so dont think I'd like it on my food, haha.

• sandy1616
    7 years ago

I love fresh cilantro! I like scented laundry but the scent has to be somewhat natural. I either love or hate most scents. Cajun father, polish mother, married an italian. There is no herb or seasoning I dislike. The more flavor the better.

enduring thanked sandy1616
  • wildchild2x2
    7 years ago

Don't for for cilantro but tolerate it as an ingredient as long as it doesn't dominate. Prefer unscented laundry but don't mind the milder scents. For example Sears detergent or Bounce sheets that are at the lower end of the scent spectrum.

enduring thanked wildchild2x2
  • vetwife1998
    7 years ago

@enduring -- I love tarragon, but the dried herb version. Great in chicken salad.

• Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

Tarragon, fresh or dried, can be a main staple. Chicken and tuna salads, oomph to potato soup and other cream-based soups, a little in your lemon-seasoned sauces. Makes a good seasoning for crock-pot meats, too. A little goes a long ways, though, so usage ranges from a sprinkle to a teaspoon for most dishes. It's a great garden plant and can be used as an under-planting in flower beds. Rabbits don't eat it. It can also be grown in raised and hanging planters with other herbs. If you catch a rabbit, though, tarragon makes a great seasoning, lol.

• hcbm
    7 years ago

I don't know if I love or don't care about tarragon. I have to pay more attention when I eat out. I never cook with it. Maybe I should. How about rosemary? I love rosemary and grow it in a flower pot on my window. I use it with both potatoes and chicken. Sometimes with fish.

enduring thanked hcbm
  • Jeannie Cochell
    7 years ago

Rosemary is an easy to grow herb, evergreen in warm climates. It's mainly used for fragrance and cooking with meat/beef/pork. There are two versions grown in my climate - the upright version we use for herbs and the prostrate version used for landscaping and erosion control. Unfortunately, the landscape shrub gets very, very large and attracts a LOT of bees. Since the vast majority seem to be planted around mailboxes, I'm sure mail deliverers would like to see them outlawed and eradicated, lol. Cut sprigs off rosemary and use them as garnish or stuff cavities of baked fowl, sprinkle on pork or use them in vases and sachets.

• livebetter
    7 years ago

I like cilantro and like my laundry "lightly" scented. Strong detergents bother me but no scent leaves me wanting something lol.

enduring thanked livebetter
  • rococogurl
    7 years ago

Love cilantro and all herbs. But I like florals for laundry. I dont like food or herbal fragrances for laundry. About to try the Grab green gardenia. That's my speed. I also hate gardening so I buy herbs peak and create an herb library for the fridge.

Tarragon is wonderful with fish btw -- especially with butter or cream-based sauces. Classic French.

enduring thanked rococogurl
  • nerdyshopper
    7 years ago

I only use cilantro in Mexican cooking---salsas, pico de gallo. sauces. Leave it out of salads where I can taste it. Not fussy about scents of detergents.

enduring thanked nerdyshopper
  • Nothing Left to Say
    7 years ago

I like cilantro and strongly prefer unscented laundry.