SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jane2516

Need to remove a small piece of hardwood floor - Tips?

Jane
7 years ago

I have a 1 inch by 36 inch piece of 3/4" solid oak hardwood flooring next to carpet. This was installed with the original floor. I need to remove it. I am a novice at demo.

I will also be replacing the berber closed loop carpet next to it using a new tack strip and z bar with carpet rolled over it, so that will probably cover up the hardwood tongue edge.

The 1" board that needs to be removed is the grooved part that is attached to the adjacent board's tongue. There is nothing important attached to it at either short end.

I recently stained and refinished the floors so there are at least 4 coats of water based poly on it. However I will need to refinish the floors again in a few years because I didn't do a very good job. I will also be installing new hardwood alongside it in a few years. In the meantime, I need the new carpet (actually saved unused original remnants) to look decent until I attack the floors again in a few years.

Does anyone have tips that will allow me to cut the 1" piece of hardwood away from the rest of the floor without doing a lot of damage? I can afford a few scratches - I have dogs - but it is a focal point and I don't want it to look terrible.

I was thinking I should use a straight edge and box cutter utility knife to try to slice the poly at the seam, then use a pry bar to pull it up. It looks pretty secure in there, though.

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (2)