SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
sis2two

Wall color- when your rooms needs don't match your desires

sis2two
7 years ago

I thought I would start this thread because I believe so many of us struggle with this very issue.

For many months I have really struggled with finding a paint color for our family room. I thought I wanted a lighter and brighter room color and sampled what seemed like thousands of sample pots. And honestly- I could have hired a painter to paint my entire downstairs for what I spent just sampling colors.

Anyway, after FINALLY deciding on Powell Buff which is already in my kitchen and foyer area, we had a painter come in and paint our family room Powell Buff. Well- low and behold it looks nothing like the light gold/ dried wheat color that is in my other areas. When it completely dried- it was yellow- not a beigey yellow, but yellow. It becomes only somewhat like able starting at 4:00 in the afternoon.

After living with it for two months and trying to convince myself that I like it- I just don't. At night it's richer. But I really don't want to only be in there at night!

I probably should have started with the fact that it's a north facing room with a porch!

Anyway, the one color that I was trying to not use is a gold- but guess what? Golds and dark buff colors seem to give the room what it needs. In fact the room seems to demand dark colors to bring it to life!

Have any of you found this to be true? Would love to hear your experiences- while I tape new samples to my wall. Thanks!

Comments (17)