SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
petalique

I _might_ be getting the hang of strawberries -- day neutral

petalique
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Garden and animals · More Info

For the past few years, _some type_ of strawberry plant grows very vigorously in my Zone 5a New Engl garden, yard, walkways.... The birds eat the berries as soon as they ripen in June. Last year I pulled a lot of them and planted them in window boxes or pots, but, duh me, I didn't put them in the cellar for winter and most died.

However, since they are so prolific, sending runners out constantly, I still had a garden full of them. I rarely got any berries after the first flush. But this spring, I again, plopped them into a window box filled with Miracle Grow mix and kept them watered and fertilized. Even some that got left in the ground, I fertilized the be-cheeses out of with mostly blue water bloomy type fertilizer. To my delight, they began to have blossoms in late July and because they were mostly off the ground (we've had a drought all season), the later plants didn't get lacy from slugs. I even got to eat a couple of 1.24" strawberries. Very nice. I think they might be Tri-Star.

So, since they are throwing blossoms and a bit of fruit, can I definitely say that they are day neutral strawberries?

Do I keep hitting them with the "Bloom" type blue fertilizer that is diluted in water (about a Tablespoon per gallon of well water)?

Is there a way to get fruit instead of a kajillion runners? Birth control? There are so many runners --- they will run down the side of the planter, to the ground/lawn from the table, or into another nearby plant pot; any port in a storm. I'd like less runners and more berries. And I supposed to let the runner plants take root, then transplant them? I'll need to buy another acre.

And THIS WINTER, should I put them into a 45 deg. cold (dark mostly, unheated) cellar or must I move them to the ground (plant them) and mulch them? If I leave them in the ground the slugs eat the leaves and the birds grab the berries in June.

I'd be grateful for any growing tips you strawberry experts can offer.

Thanks!

Comment (1)