SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
daltonbengal

Suggestions for help with stormwater management?

Hi! I hope I am posting the right place... Back on August 7 and 8 I posted, asking if my weeping spruce needed trimming. We digressed a bit and discussed my yews, the value of 40 year old trees, and stormwater management. One posted suggested I post the stormwater problem.

My problem isn't so much water pooling as it is rivers flowing in a heavy rain. I hope you tree guys and gals may provide a new way to look at the situation. North is at the top of the photo

Streets are city. Highest land is upper right, lowest land is lowest left.

I am not sure about the wind. The most snow is always on the parking lot side of the building with the pool, but the wind blows across the pool from the tree area towards the parking lot. Our parking lot at the top left gets very little wind.

This happens in heavy rain, 8 - 10x annually. Stormwater flows from the multi lane road, turns the corner to a low spot then meets up with overflow from a large flatroofed building, crosses the street and runs down the hill. Some enters the parking lot on top of the macadam. The parking lot is graded to allow water to flow past the building to the storm sewer where the red line ends at the upper left of the photo.

The parking lot is boulder lined, starting at the bottom center of the photo about 1 ft high increasing gradually to 5 ft high at the corner. There is a 5ft wide strip of lawn and a sidewalk between the boulders and the street where the heavy water flows. there are some low spots and holes in this strip. Stormwater does not run over the curb. Day lillies are on top of the rocks, across half the area. I planted a row of arborvitae to try to get some water absorption and root stabilizing. Good or bad?

It is sunny, I added red dragon sedum, blue spruce sedum and liriope in dirt areas within the rocks. Some survived, none thrived. I can see some erosion under the rocks, but assume that some would be expected. No? I have a fluorescent tracing product and black light flashlight to use during a storm at the spot where the 2 sources meet to try to see where the water is running. Useful? The city has told me the the bldg is not in violation.

The stormwater runs in front of the building, so deep it jumps the curb at times, pooling and then running across a swale in front of the building, around the corner, between the pool the the building, down a dry riverbed I made to keep it 10ft from the foundation. The building patios are 4 ft lower than the parking lot. the lawn area between the building and the parking lot is 20ft wide, raised garden near bldg, then swale, then raises to the height of the parking lot.

Any suggestions? Is water running under the curb at street? Or is erosion typical in boulders? or both? will planting help? something instead of arborvitae? If all goes well, we are tapering the macadam at the curb to make it harder for water to jump the curb.

Stormwater from the multi lane road, turning the corner, meeting up with overflow from a large flatroofed building, crosses the street and runs down the hill.

Thank you for reading.

Comments (33)