SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
doc5md

Kitchen Layout Review Help Needed.

doc5md
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Everyone. I would like some help with the layout of the kitchen for the house we are planning to build. We are a family of 4. Kids currently 9 and 6. DW wanted a kitchen with natural light as our current kitchen in an old victorian has only one west facing window with the light blocked by huge blue spruce. Our land has beautiful views everywhere. So, the concept for the house was born... The public and private sections of the house would be separated by a kitchen with windows on the North and South sides. We are working with the architect to get more final drawings of the house, but for now, we can discuss the kitchen. Since it is placed between the sections of the house, it can grow or shrink in width without affecting any of the rest of the house EXCEPT the massing of the exterior windows relative to the rest of the house.

There will be no upper cabinets in the kitchen to make the best of the windows. This isn't an issue as I am only 5'8" and DW is 5'2". We really can't get to much of the upper cabinets anyway without a ladder :/ LOL. The ceiling in the kitchen will be raised to 12-14' to allow for transom windows up high (this will provide light that may be otherwise blocked from the porch roof over the other windows).

Disregard cabinet sizes and styles in the drawing as I just shoved them in to make the spaces full. I anticipate mostly all drawers. Entry to the storage pantry is through false cabinet front. There is a sliding barn door to close off the family room if needed. We aren't clear on the fireplace at this time. It has always been a dream of ours to have a FP you could cook on. My FIL also has an old cook-stove for us that could go in that space. If FP, by DW wants seating, hence the loveseat. We may eliminate it all-together.

Any other questions, let me know. I tried not to omit any information! Have fun playing!!!

Comments (18)

Sponsored
A.I.S. Renovations Ltd.
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars15 Reviews
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County